Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    But if the course is taught in English, how do the non English speaking slovaks understand Coherency in 3 years on top of med school-have fun! I guess you are amongst native speakers though. How are you paying for it? Is it just the English who pay extortionate fees for our education - it seems like everywhere else is free or minimally priced... Is there a certain quota for those allowed to go into the next year? How are you finding it in general?

I remember that...

http://web.expasy.org/cgi-bin/pathwa..._thumbnails.pl :giggle:

Why were you having it done?

:sadnod:

Is there actually any medicine in the show, it seems more like how many different ways can we partner up these 20 characters...

Question - What's the longest ward round you've been on?
    Terribly sorry for the late reply! Sorry I mean't the Slovaks on the Slovak language programme, get their education for free. If I were to enrol onto the Slovak prog. now, it'd be free for me too, but that'd be insane lol.

Surprisingly, the Slovak language isn't at all bad. Grammar on the hand makes me want to head to the nearest bridge. Whoever thought of giving words cases and genders is special.

The good ol' English have to pay for the course themselves, I think the Arabs and Norwegians get funding from their own government.. and in general everyone else is just naturally minted because their parents are doctors.

So far so good I guess. I'm still sane so that's got to be good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Do you guys ever think about what you would have done if you hadn't done medicine or what you would do if you got thrown out tomorrow etc?

If I hadn't gone and done medicine, I would have done a short business course and then onto floristry school, followed by opening up my own floristry business which I would hope to extend to a chain of stores with contracts in weddings, funerals, businesses, etc.

I hope I can do something on a smaller scale at some point in my life.. maybe when I have babies or retire
    Probably become a Paramedic. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    gutted i missed the metabolism discussion.

if i didn't (?don't) do medicine i think secondary school science teaching? or something along those lines.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I do think though that everyone should be allowed in principle to apply for the same amount of maximum loans - so sod the london topup, and the parental assessed topup, every student should be able to apply for the same amount regardless of parental income - the whole independence thing has to go all the way. Then, if parents choose to help, that's their choice. You can then have extra bursaries available - but I think alot of people would benefit from this.
    :yes: I'm currently not classed as independent yet my younger sister may will be. The current system is so silly.

(Original post by colabottles)
    Will I ever look down a microscope and know what I'm looking at? :cry:
    Soon, you won't need to look down a microscope - unless you want to go into pathology.

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Finally managed to get a good portion of this stupid logbook signed. I hate logbooks.
    :ditto: I have a week to get the rest of my procedures signed off :sigh:

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    This **** makes me want to cry.
    :yes:

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    As in the thing I last saw at A level, four to five years ago? :eek:
    Did you not have to do it in first year?

(Original post by lekky)
    Do you guys ever think about what you would have done if you hadn't done medicine or what you would do if you got thrown out tomorrow etc?
    Gone and found some sort of science based job/ be unemployed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    If I didn't study Medicine I would probably be playing semi-professional/professional field hockey and studying to get a BSc. This option was actually very real. It was either go down the athlete route or go down the medical career route.

If I got thrown out of medical school I'd probably have to quickly earn some money as I'm pretty sure I would get completely cut-off/disowned by my parents after paying such high fees and only to get kicked out.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe some of my friends from school are now married with two kids...

Think I'm starting to get a bit lonely, but I always find it impossible to strike the balance between being there for a girl, and achieving my personal goals..

does this ever get easier? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    :ditto: I have a week to get the rest of my procedures signed off :sigh:
    Have they changed it so you have to get it physically signed off by a doctor now? I thought that was just final year but they seem too relaxed about it overall.

Apparently im doing some 3rd year teaching soon. Am sooooo nervous you lot seem so dedicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)

Think I'm starting to get a bit lonely, but I always find it impossible to strike the balance between being there for a girl, and achieving my personal goals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Also read through the metabolism discussion a few pages earlier, makes me want to cry, though I was wondering is there any specialty of medicine where knowledge of all that is necessary?
    I doubt it.

ReputationRep:

actually,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Also read through the metabolism discussion a few pages earlier, makes me want to cry, though I was wondering is there any specialty of medicine where knowledge of all that is necessary?
    well every bit of medicine uses at least some of it although i gather most people just know that X happens rather than why, not to say they shouldn't though. Clinical genetics is a biggie for inborn errors of metabolism if that's the bit you lean towards. obviously IEMs require a pretty good understanding of the whole process. it's not all just taught for the fun of it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Have they changed it so you have to get it physically signed off by a doctor now? I thought that was just final year but they seem too relaxed about it overall.

Apparently im doing some 3rd year teaching soon. Am sooooo nervous you lot seem so dedicated.
    We have to get it signed off by somebody appropriate, which still means doctors most of the time. It's just that the things I need to do, don't seem to be needed in our ward and when I go to the EAU, they've already been done. :cry:

Which means we'll appreciate you teaching us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Wow, what made you eventually decide on the medicine route?
    Being an athlete isn't a stable career and there's only so many years you can play hockey. While if I study Medicine I can have a more stable career and also play hockey on the side but obviously at a much lower level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)

Think I'm starting to get a bit lonely, but I always find it impossible to strike the balance between being there for a girl, and achieving my personal goals..

does this ever get easier? :confused:
    Your friends from school have taken a different route in life though - it doesn't mean you're falling behind, just doing things differently.

As for relationships - you just have to find the right girl, and it'll all come together. I was in a relationship for most of my course from the middle of 2nd year, including an LDR for the last two years (well, semi-LDR - London's not exactly far away but it's a pain in the arse living in 3 places at once). It's not easy, especially if they're doing a less demanding course/job, but if you find the right person, you'll work it out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and one of my friends from primary school has a 2 year old daughter. To think we once traded valentines cards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talexe)
    I'm 18 and one of my friends from primary school has a 2 year old daughter. To think we once traded valentines cards!
    You get used to it... Some of my old schoolmates are now choosing primary schools for their children, and I'm still pretending to be a fresher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    gutted i missed the metabolism discussion.
    I hope you don't take offence to this, but you are a very special kind of man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    I hope you don't take offence to this, but you are a very special kind of man.
    i hope the suggestion that i might do doesn't mean you meant it in a negative way .

ReputationRep:
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/society/2011...y&type=article

ReputationRep:

Well I just worked out that I earn £5.76 a day from attending placement everyday!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.