Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhabib3)
    A question for the german blokes:

Guys I have a friend who took the TSA examination with me. We talk every once in a while he is applying for PPE at Magdalen's. Then, the subject of school grades come up and he tells me that he got an average of 2.4, I didnt want to say anything but I thought that you needed a 1.2 german average to apply for oxford. Am I missing something? Like is 2.4 a really high grade?
    Oxford generally asks for 1.0 - 1.5 in the Abitur. Most people who I know have applied, including myself, had a prediction of about 1.2 or 1.3 and current grades between 1.2 and 1.8. The examinations at the end of the two years also counting towards your Abitur average count for 50%, I believe. Someone can pull up their average quite a bit by putting a lot of work into them - but raising by one entire grade? That's pretty unlikely, I believe.
    I think Oxford put more weight into the predicted grades than your current ones, but which such a big gap I'd be slightly worried myself. The TSA is a medium the tutors at Oxford might understand a lot better than the German school system, though, so I believe he has a shot at being accepted in case he performed really well on it. Along with a good personal statement and reference, the tutors could believe him able to make that jump from 2.4 to 1.5 at least with his examinations. Hope that helped
    Oh, forgot about that; I think 2.4 is around the national average of the Abitur, so it's considered alright - although not impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtyQuell)
    May I ask for which subjects at St Edmund's Hall? I am waiting for an English interview from them and am a little on edge ..
    It was for Earth Science, it wasn't me though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecathy)
    Oxford generally asks for 1.0 - 1.5 in the Abitur. Most people who I know have applied, including myself, had a prediction of about 1.2 or 1.3 and current grades between 1.2 and 1.8. The examinations at the end of the two years also counting towards your Abitur average count for 50%, I believe. Someone can pull up their average quite a bit by putting a lot of work into them - but raising by one entire grade? That's pretty unlikely, I believe.
    I think Oxford put more weight into the predicted grades than your current ones, but which such a big gap I'd be slightly worried myself. The TSA is a medium the tutors at Oxford might understand a lot better than the German school system, though, so I believe he has a shot at being accepted in case he performed really well on it. Along with a good personal statement and reference, the tutors could believe him able to make that jump from 2.4 to 1.5 at least with his examinations. Hope that helped
    Oh, forgot about that; I think 2.4 is around the national average of the Abitur, so it's considered alright - although not impressive.
    Ok thanks Hermione

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruszty)
    It was for Earth Science, it wasn't me though
    Ah I see, thanks for the info though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhabib3)
    Ok thanks Hermione
    Sorry. Too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em_lrob)
    I echo this - Univ what's going on???
    Me too. Seems no one applied to univ for psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecathy)
    Sorry. Too much?
    No, it was actually really informative. So Thanks you
    Mrs Granger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kolasinsia)
    Yeeeees! Just got an interview for History & Politics
    But now I'm getting nervous just thinking about it..
    Congrats! What college?

ReputationRep:
    Reallocated to St Anne's for PPE (originally applied to Christ Church)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applied for ancient and modern history? I've applied trinity and got an interview today (nervous for it now though 😂)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahnairn)
    Anybody heard about History from Balliol?
    Yay, another History at Balliol person! Same as me nope nothing as of yet although I'm not 'expecting' to have done since they're still in the process of shortlisting for most subjects according to that link they sent us (this one)-
    https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/admissionsupdates
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branwenn)
    I've got an interview from LMH
    Lol, which one of the three?

ReputationRep:
    Sweeeet.....so not only have I had to come back to England in the vain hope that I actually get an interview, but Easyjet left my suitcase in Paris. With all my A level notes, every book I mentioned on my PS, every note I ever wrote for anything in the world, and my laptop.

I know things could be worse, but my brain is starting to melt. :bricks:

ReputationRep:
    Any st catz interview ? Did they inform you by post or by email. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caffe_sean1)
    Heyyyyy has anyone heard about geography, or from Christ Church yet?

Well obviously I have applied to study geog at Christ Church... yet I have heard no one getting geog nor any further msg from Christ Church....

If someone has got one, that would be so cool xD
    I am in the same position with you!!! Applying geography at Christ Church, though I was reallocated there since I did open application.. But I haven't heard anything, either....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyyang)
    still waiting for ppe from Somerville...
    I'm still waiting on Somerville too (but for History and English) - I share your pain

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got an offer with ABBD at AS

ReputationRep:
    anyone with a magdalen experimental psychology interview?? I'm starting to check my email every hour and it's honestly soul wrecking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alauxjx)
    anyone with a magdalen experimental psychology interview?? I'm starting to check my email every hour and it's honestly soul wrecking
    Well they're not going to email at half 12 in the middle of the night...

Office hours only really. Try and do something else enjoyable and distract yourself. Whether you find out as soon as the email comes through or five hours later makes no difference to its content or the time between now and the interview.

Try and chill out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddbrain)
    I know someone who got an offer with ABBD at AS
    What for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.