Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    well life as we know it is basically over my brain isn't on careful mode atm

DOn't even care about this market panic, that's not remotely the problem anyway.
    How is your life over. This is'nt 08.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Scotland and NI have an undeniable mandate to have a referendum though. The only thing that is keeping the country together right now is the brute force of parliament using oppressive hard power. Scotland are basically kurds right now.
    Except they don't, and if you think Scotland is going to vote to leave the UK like they voted to remain you truly are going mad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    well life as we know it is basically over my brain isn't on careful mode atm

DOn't even care about this market panic, that's not remotely the problem anyway.
    So you're admitting you're going batty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    'A question for Jeremy Corbyn. After years of supporting ''terrorism for political gain'' and campaigning for IRA terrorists to be classified as ''Political prisoners'' are you now going to campaign for Thomas Mair to be a political prisoner ? . After all, you called it a political assassination and terrorist attack. And you do love terrorist organisations, Hamas, Hezbollah and the IRA.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Obviously ive gone batty, im still right on about half the stuff i say though
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    you cant hop onto this bandwagon now after voting FOR the uncertainty of leaving.

If this were to happen companies would be like "hey theres a chance we could not have the uncertainty of leaving, that decreases our risk margins for investment".

Right now its like "we cannot do anything for years until we get the trade deal, which will definately be inferior to what we have now".

As someone who want at some point to set up some kind of business, either small or self employed, later in life, I know which one i prefer.
    No, because the point is, is that apart from the stupid idiots who are saying we should have another referendum, businesses now know that we are leaving the EU. If we were to have another referendum after deals were negotiated, it just gives us the uncertainty of what's really going to happen.

As someone who has set up some kind of business, I'm happy with the result.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland clearly should get another independence referendum now, and it will be won by Yes.

We haven't yet begun to see the fallout from Brexit, and yet we're already seeing a large number of jobs moving, or being planned to be moved, from the City of London to Europe.

To mitigate the problems, we need to concede to free movement from Europe ASAP.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Scotland clearly should get another independence referendum now, and it will be won by Yes.

We haven't yet begun to see the fallout from Brexit, and yet we're already seeing a large number of jobs moving, or being planned to be moved, from the City of London to Europe.

To mitigate the problems, we need to concede to free movement from Europe ASAP.
    So a vote to remain in the eu and leave the UK are equivalent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So a vote to remain in the eu and leave the UK are equivalent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Scottish marginally voted to stay in the UK based on the existing state of affairs. There is no change more seismic than being dragged out of the EU against the will of the people. So yes, it's a legitimate claim, especially with the strong majority the SNP has.

I don't want it to happen, personally - Labour would probably never win another election - but it seems inarguable that another referendum is deserved.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I don't see how you can be so flippant at this time.
    (Original post by Aph)
    I agree. I don't think it will happen but it just shows how angry people are about this.

I still really think that Scotland will be leaving which will make things worse.
    Very simply, the people have had their say - I don't think that we should be giving in to 1 million sore losers really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    No, because the point is, is that apart from the stupid idiots who are saying we should have another referendum, businesses now know that we are leaving the EU. If we were to have another referendum after deals were negotiated, it just gives us the uncertainty of what's really going to happen.

As someone who has set up some kind of business, I'm happy with the result.
    We have no idea what leaving the eu looks like for years and years, and then when we have it on paper we have no idea what that looks like in reality.

So right now we have: Definite uncertainty.

If we get a referendum after negotiations, then we have a disjunction

Definite uncertainty or what we had before.

Since we are not uncertain about what we have before, then it follows that the second term in the disjunction is not uncertain.

Definite uncertainty requires that there is a 0% probability of certainty by definition.

So we have the following disjunction:

Certainty or uncertainty.

For the "or" to be valid here we require that

it is possible that certainty obtain.

The obviously

If either A or B, then the probability of B is higher than 0.

Let B be certainty and A be uncertainty.

The probability of B obtaining in the sentence "A or B" is higher than in "A and not B".

Therefore, there is a higher probability of certainty if there is a referendum.

I mean, this isn't even arguable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Very simply, the people have had their say - I don't think that we should be giving in to 1 million sore losers really.
    Despite the fact that I desperately hope another referendum happens, +1. At least at this stage (when nothing has changed and conditions for leaving are still uncertain), there is no justification from a democratic standpoint for another referendum. From an #aphtheauthoritarian getting the best result standpoint, however...?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The Scottish marginally voted to stay in the UK based on the existing state of affairs. There is no change more seismic than being dragged out of the EU against the will of the people. So yes, it's a legitimate claim, especially with the strong majority the SNP has.

I don't want it to happen, personally - Labour would probably never win another election - but it seems inarguable that another referendum is deserved.
    Do what I'm doing and move to Scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Do what I'm doing and move to Scotland
    Unfortunately I'm averse to rain, farming, and poverty.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Despite the fact that I desperately hope another referendum happens, +1. At least at this stage (when nothing has changed and conditions for leaving are still uncertain), there is no justification from a democratic standpoint for another referendum. From an #aphtheauthoritarian getting the best result standpoint, however...?
    I'm imagining that's why Aph supports another referendum, but only he can say. I don't want another referendum now, we need to move forward out of the EU and into the world.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's annoying when people claim we are sore losers when they would be doing the same thing in our situation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm imagining that's why Aph supports another referendum, but only he can say. I don't want another referendum now, we need to move forward out of the EU and into the world.
    I know why you don't want another referendum!

What I do think is interesting is how the Leave campaign has been fought based on two mutually exclusive views - one of anti-immigration rhetoric, and one of economic liberalisation and expansion to the rest of the world. When negotiations are almost done, and about half the leave campaign, whichever way it ends up, regrets their vote, that's when another referendum may be justified.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I don't support a second referendum actually as I have already stated.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    It's annoying when people claim we are sore losers when they would be doing the same thing in our situation.
    To be honest, I wouldn't have done. I would have been upset, but I had resigned myself to Leave losing for much of last week. It's equally annoying how remain are sore losers and also annoying how younger age groups are saying that they will have to live with the consequences when actually the older generations with less time to live will only really see any negative short term impacts and the younger generations will see all the long term benefits that the older generations won't see.

I know why you don't want another referendum!

What I do think is interesting is how the Leave campaign has been fought based on two mutually exclusive views - one of anti-immigration rhetoric, and one of economic liberalisation and expansion to the rest of the world. When negotiations are almost done, and about half the leave campaign, whichever way it ends up, regrets their vote, that's when another referendum may be justified.
    Absolutely agree on this - I wouldn't mind immigration limited a bit, but my reason for voting leave was nothing to do with the above, but rather on the basis of reclaiming Parliamentary sovereignty.

(Original post by Aph)
    I don't support a second referendum actually as I have already stated.
    Apologies
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    To be honest, I wouldn't have done. I would have been upset, but I had resigned myself to Leave losing for much of last week. It's equally annoying how remain are sore losers and also annoying how younger age groups are saying that they will have to live with the consequences when actually the older generations with less time to live will only really see any negative short term impacts and the younger generations will see all the long term benefits that the older generations won't see.
    that assumes there will be long term benifits but I believe it will lead to a more divided, far-right, nationalist world so unless you think that is good :/

Absolutely agree on this - I wouldn't mind immigration limited a bit, but my reason for voting leave was nothing to do with the above, but rather on the basis of reclaiming Parliamentary sovereignty.

Apologies
    you know we have sovereignty and at least you didn't say 'unelected officials'

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.