The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Despite what people said I was impressed with Newcastle today. Much less slip ups at the back, much better at the front.

They are about 4 signings and some more time with Keegan away from being a good team again.

They would of won the match vs pompey I have no doubt if Keegan had told them to counter attack and work on that principle. There were numerous chances where had it been any of the top 4 you would think "oh ****" if you were the opposition, where a quick counter attack was begging. But they didn't even try and counter (well they did a few times but at a jog, it was as if they were waiting for the defenders to come back before they could start attacking?! wtf).

To Keegans credit, I think he's turned the team around. They are now 7th-10th place material IMO injuries excluded. However, they need to learn to counter attack when the situation lends itself to it and also strengthen the squad in depth and also in first team players. And even then they will only be 6th-10th placed IMO.

All the same, I cannot express how much better this team looked than under Allardyce.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That Argentine guy playing for Birmingham is good.
.Andrew.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Today's Tit of The Day Award goes to:

Roy Carroll
SmilerNuts
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I still reckon Carlos The Villan deserves tit of the day for not knowing there were 12 teams in the SPL :p:
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SmilerNuts)
I still reckon Carlos The Villan deserves tit of the day for not knowing there were 12 teams in the SPL :p:
That would be unfair, he was celebrating his teams 6-0 win over Derby, come on man, cut the boy some slack.. :p:

While we are on the SPL topic.. I really feel for Gretna
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Someone argue with me about Newcastle being a better team now. I want to be wrong :hmmm:
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Someone argue with me about Newcastle being a better team now. I want to be wrong :hmmm:
Yeah, they are a real good team now....

All them chances they had going to waste tonight...

Owen... 10/10 for scoring...

Oh ****, he didn't score did he, the dinlow... :rofl:

Even James was giving them a chance tonight, acting like a fool, and running 900 miles out of his area. How did Obafemi (i think it was him), not bash some goals in... ****ing hell man.

I had to laugh at the Glen Johnson foul.. Now that Newcastle player fell to the floor like a sack of spuds.. :toofunny:

Newcastle the better team.. Ball-crap... But i suppose they didn't concede against us... Not that we were any good.. :ninja:

But they should have scored... More then once, more then twice... ****!!

:rofl:

Ps. Maybe they can redeem themselves in future games.. Hopefully...
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by .Andrew.)
Yeah, they are a real good team now....

All them chances they had going to waste tonight...

Owen... 10/10 for scoring...

Oh ****, he didn't score did he, the dinlow... :rofl:

Even James was giving them a chance tonight, acting like a fool, and running 900 miles out of his area. How did Obafemi (i think it was him), not bash some goals in... ****ing hell man.

I had to laugh at the Glen Johnson foul.. Now that Newcastle player fell to the floor like a sack of spuds.. :toofunny:

Newcastle the better team.. Ball-crap... But i suppose they didn't concede against us... Not that we were any good.. :ninja:

But they should have scored... More then once, more then twice... ****!!

:rofl:

Ps. Maybe they can redeem themselves in future games.. Hopefully...
I just meant they are "better" than before now, not better than pompey you nut.

Although tbh the way they played their was nothing to seperate you, injuries aside I think it shows they are capable of just as much as pompey next season (but more likely slightly less).

If they sign some damn players and learn to counter attack however... :p:
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
I just meant they are "better" than before now, not better than pompey you nut.

Although tbh the way they played their was nothing to seperate you, injuries aside I think it shows they are capable of just as much as pompey next season (but more likely slightly less).

If they sign some damn players and learn to counter attack however... :p:

Edit: you changed your post :hmmm:
I agree they are 'better then before' and Keegan can now sleep with both eyes closed. OOps, i thought you meant today.

Yeah, they are deffo better then when they got ***** slapped by Man Utd a while back.

The day Pompey are better then Newcastle has finally arrived.. :proud: - never thought that would happen...

I think their current squad are quite alright to be honest, they just need to bench Owen for a while... But yeah, bring in some new players, might do them good for next season.

Yeah, sorry, i had to edit my post, i was too harsh on Newcastle, and had to lighten it up at the end :p:

One more thing:

Obafemi for pompey!! - I will not be complete until that man signs for the South Coast 'Giants' (as quoted from some drunken fool).
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
One thing that may provide encouragement is that Newcastle's recent form is by no means a honeymoon period. That was the glorious eight games without results. It's been achieved with time, in which Kevin Keegan has been able to both learn about, and impress his vision on, his players. Now they're scoring, so they'll be fancied to take something from a football match nowadays. Exactly how much defends on their defence, and Portsmouth showed today that they're not going to trouble the mini-league for Europe until this is improved.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'll be surprised if Pompey even pull it off against Cardiff after today's crap performance.

And if we even get through to Europe, damn, all the other teams are going to point and laugh at us.

I think they are focused on the FA Cup, which is affecting their league performances. Cardiff will pick up on this, and find the weakness' etc..

But after Lee Dixon's comments tonight, he can **** off.
SmilerNuts
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That would be unfair, he was celebrating his teams 6-0 win over Derby, come on man, cut the boy some slack.. :p:

While we are on the SPL topic.. I really feel for Gretna
Good point, nobody really expected Villa to beat Derby did they.

Meh, Gretna brought it upon themselves, I have no sympathy for them, especially not when Aberdeen are constantly poor.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SmilerNuts)
Good point, nobody really expected Villa to beat Derby did they.

Meh, Gretna brought it upon themselves, I have no sympathy for them, especially not when Aberdeen are constantly poor.
I think the win was expected from Villa, but just not by that amount. Derby had nothing to lose or gain, so it looked like they played on 'crap mode'.

It's just sad to see Gretna go down, but meh, like you said, they brought it on themselves.

Im sure now they will turn into the Scottish 'Version' of Leeds Utd...

I have no idea about Aberdeen, so i will keep shut about them..
SmilerNuts
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think the win was expected from Villa, but just not by that amount. Derby had nothing to lose or gain, so it looked like they played on 'crap mode'.

It's just sad to see Gretna go down, but meh, like you said, they brought it on themselves.

Im sure now they will turn into the Scottish 'Version' of Leeds Utd...

I have no idea about Aberdeen, so i will keep shut about them..
Na, we all expect Villa to get hammered in every match cause they're only the second best team in Birmingham (I hope Carlos sees this ).

Leeds have got the potential to actually come back up and compete for promotion to the Premiership again though, once Gretna are down they're gonna keep sinking. They're just not self sustaining at all.

Aberdeen have won more european trophies than Pompey, that's all you need to know
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OK so today is Manchester United vs Arsenal. Often a game of high drama, high stakes, and high-running emotions. It's a must-watch.

So, via a kickabout in the park, I'm off to watch it. Just wanted to wish the Arsenal crew good luck and here's hoping our teams can serve up a cracker (and a United win plzkthx).

Come on Reds!
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm gonna go to sleep until 3.55 and then wake up, watch it, go back to sleep, wake up later and continue coursework :teeth:
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
OK so today is Manchester United vs Arsenal. Often a game of high drama, high stakes, and high-running emotions. It's a must-watch.

So, via a kickabout in the park, I'm off to watch it. Just wanted to wish the Arsenal crew good luck and here's hoping our teams can serve up a cracker (and an Arsenal win plzkthx).
:ditto:

:vroam:
SuperDaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I havent been bothered to watch any premiership games since I got rid of sky sports, will be making the trip to t'pub to watch this though :teeth:

I've learnt never to underestimate Arsenal or Wenger, I fancy them to pull a shock
good mermington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What a blatant dive by Gerrard!!! If that was Ronaldo everyone would be all up in arms about it being disgusting, but cause it's Gerrard it's "trying his luck". He jumped over trailing a leg hoping to initiate some contact haha, and after all that stuff he said about how he hates divers
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by good mermington)
What a blatant dive by Gerrard!!! If that was Ronaldo everyone would be all up in arms about it being disgusting, but cause it's Gerrard it's "trying his luck". He jumped over trailing a leg hoping to initiate some contact haha, and after all that stuff he said about how he hates divers
yeah I just saw that too - he brushed his foot onto Friedel and then lunged forward to feign contact.

Blackburn could have been a goal up too, an incorrect offside decision was given within the first 5 minutes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads