Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janeite)
    Thank you! I imagine a laminator would primarily be used by those doing the Primary PGCE but I seem to be woefully underprepared compared to a few others on here. I've bought a few bits and pieces, skimmed a few teaching books and read some of the books I know will be on the curriculum (I'll be teaching English) but that is it. I've just been working and focusing on enjoying the peace and quiet on my days off.
    I got through an entire career teaching English without having my own laminator, so don't worry! You'll be given quite enough information about what you need when you start, so enjoy the peace and quiet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting so frustrated with my uni at the moment. I start on the 5th ( a saturday urgh) and they still haven't sent me the info of the enrolment day on the 5th including the times of the induction day. I had an email a couple of weeks ago saying that the main tutor of the course is back on the 1st and she will have all the details. I don't like things being left to the last minute :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Are these still going through, or have they been quietly shelved after the election?
    Oh I don't know! I haven't heard that they've been shelved, although it wouldn't surprise me at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    Oh I don't know! I haven't heard that they've been shelved, although it wouldn't surprise me at all.
    I just assumed that it was a cynical and empty promise to lure in the student vote, but then I'm just a bitter and twisted old bag.

ReputationRep:
    I just assumed that it was a cynical and empty promise to lure in the student vote, but then I'm just a bitter and twisted old bag.
    This is what I also thought. It sounds too good to be true (although would devalue masters in the same way bachelors have been devalued). I don't know if it would be for every subject though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    This is what I also thought. It sounds too good to be true (although would devalue masters in the same way bachelors have been devalued). I don't know if it would be for every subject though...
    If it happens, I'll eat my - well, something I don't like eating, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If it happens, I'll eat my - well, something I don't like eating, anyway.
    The result of the consultation is due to be published within the next week (although this bitter and twisted old bag reckons that it'll quietly emerge on a 'bad news' day) so get your 'something' on standby. I think you're perfectly safe though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    The result of the consultation is due to be published within the next week (although this bitter and twisted old bag reckons that it'll quietly emerge on a 'bad news' day) so get your 'something' on standby. I think you're perfectly safe though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you may have quoted me in by mistake, although I'm certainly the old bag. It's been a very long time since I was in the market for student finance! I'm a product of the old days when we all got grants for everything!

Yes, I'm quite sure it will be buried quietly. I am very sorry for my children's generation. Postgraduate education has once again become something only the rich can afford.

ReputationRep:
    I got through an entire career teaching English without having my own laminator, so don't worry! You'll be given quite enough information about what you need when you start, so enjoy the peace and quiet.
    Rather randomly, I have had an A4 laminator for a few years! I've never actually used it though. My mum was decluttering and palmed it off on me, along with a shredder and some other junk that is now cluttering up my wardrobe!!

I have a diary arriving today and I have picked up a pack of BIC pens - that is my prep for the year done

ReputationRep:
    I've never even used a laminator before and am about to start my 3rd year of teaching. So secondary trainees, you'll be fine.

I have received a piece of laminated homework before. And one pupil laminated the picture he had to talk about for a GCSE Speaking assessment.

Needless to say, both of these pupils are children of primary teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    Rather randomly, I have had an A4 laminator for a few years! I've never actually used it though. My mum was decluttering and palmed it off on me, along with a shredder and some other junk that is now been cluttering up my wardrobe!!

I have a diary arriving today and I have picked up a pack of BIC pens - that is my prep for the year done
    (Original post by myrtille)
    I've never even used a laminator before and am about to start my 3rd year of teaching. So secondary trainees, you'll be fine.

I have received a piece of laminated homework before. And one pupil laminated the picture he had to talk about for a GCSE Speaking assessment.

Needless to say, both of these pupils are children of primary teachers.
    I'd quite like a laminator for fun, personal craft purposes as I make a lot of things for my own amusement, but we had a very good print room which did all this stuff for you. One of my friends and colleagues used to make us all a credit card sized laminated timetable to keep in your purse. (We had a two week timetable and most of us failed to memorise it before the end of the year.) That was a good use of the laminator, I think. For secondary purposes, it's not necessary at all, but I can see primary teachers getting use out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I just took the plunge and got my laminator. I'm a massive geek anyway so I'll just palm endless laminated projects onto my primary kids!

I haven't bought anything like plates, pans etc but my stationery supply is flawless. Priorities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I just took the plunge and got my laminator. I'm a massive geek anyway so I'll just palm endless laminated projects onto my primary kids!

I haven't bought anything like plates, pans etc but my stationery supply is flawless. Priorities!
    Lol! Well, you won't need plates. Just laminate some attractive sheets of paper.

ReputationRep:

Forgive me if this is massively naive, but what would you need plates and pans for?

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if this is massively naive, but what would you need plates and pans for?
    New flat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol! Well, you won't need plates. Just laminate some attractive sheets of paper
    Ha! I'm sure I could kit out my whole flat using just laminations and a teacher's creativity!

Sorry, that wasn't very well explained! They're not for school, I'm moving for my PGCE. ☺ I've just focused completely on silly stationery things and not the stuff I actually need to live.

ReputationRep:
    Ha! I'm sure I could kit out my whole flat using just laminations and a teacher's creativity!
    I can see a whole new furniture range right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    New flat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, that wasn't very well explained! They're not for school, I'm moving for my PGCE. ☺ I've just focused completely on silly stationery things and not the stuff I actually need to live.
    Ohhh, sorry, that's what I get for only skimming things. I didn't know you meant a new flat. I thought you meant your PGCE and I was looking forward to see what kind of innovative teaching you'd come up with to use plates and pans :lol: .

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, sorry, that's what I get for only skimming things. I didn't know you meant a new flat. I thought you meant your PGCE and I was looking forward to see what kind of innovative teaching you'd come up with to use plates and pans :lol: .
    Food and Nutrition GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I am enrolled! :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.