Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcoburn)
    anyone from the second batch of barclays first round interviews (on the 19th) heard back yet?
    I had my first round interview on the 26th ... And heard back last week.

ReputationRep:
    GS Securities Offer!!!

After 15 rejections, that's two offers in the last week!

By the way, it was over phone (number started 0207) and my portal said 'Interview Scheduled' before the call and still says that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by \/ibhav)
    GS Securities Offer!!!

By the way, it was over phone (number started 0207) and my portal said 'Interview Scheduled' before the call and still says that.
    15 rejections!!?? Must be such a relief, and it's GS too! Congrats man

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd pitch in about my opinion of Spring Weeks and what to do if you haven't got one. Again these are just my views so feel free to disagree.

I didn't get any spring weeks in IB last year (got a couple at the big 4 and in consumer goods) but this year I have ended up getting 5 interviews for Summer IBD and have secured an offer.

Importance of Spring Weeks - I think it's well advertised that the main benefit from these is the fast-track option. I've seen many 'average' students in all aspects other than university brand secure summer internships via this route. If you secure a summer on the back of a spring week, you are essentially sorted. Of course you may choose to still send a few 'select' applications to banks which you prefer, but you've essentially got a foot on the ladder. If you don't get a summer off the back of the SW, I still think it looks good on the CV, but it really does not compare to getting some longer-term experience.

Advice for people who have not yet or will not secure a Spring Week - Don't get disheartened. It certainly is not the be all and end all. Numerous people fare better with summer internship applications than they do with spring week ones. Whilst many of my friends were completing multiple spring weeks during April (and good on them for doing so!) I was attending interviews for Fortune 500 corporates as well as smaller non-IB financial institutions for a summer internship which would take place in my first year summer. You don't just have to shoot for boutique IBs or trading shops. Spread your net wide, especially if you have an industry focus. Say you want to work in TMT IBD or Consumer IBD, try getting experience in the summer with a tech start-up or a consumer retail consultancy. Also do not discard industrial placements after your second year. Working in consulting/ the big 4/ risk etc. will place you well when your focus switches back to IBD - ultimately you will have a year of commercial experience which ibanks will like. If this is done at a brand name then all the better. From my experience, actual internships hold a lot of weight in the summer application process for banks. I got an offer with an industry group at an ibank mainly because I did a commercial internship in said industry the summer before.

Application Process for Summers - I think it is possible to get a spring week with a very limited knowledge of the technical aspects of finance. This is probably the biggest differentiator between the spring and summer process. For a summer application process you need to be sharp with respect to technicals. I know some banks for the spring week ask technical questions (e.g. GS) but in general I'd say you'll get more technicals when applying for summer roles. Also, there are far more applicants for summer internships. On the other hand there are far more institutions offering summer internships than there are offering spring week opportunities. However, my above point of having some solid experience will go a long way with many of the elite boutique/mid-market/2nd tier places. This is especially true if you study at a non-target or a semi-target university. Everyone I know from a semi-target or non-target who has secured an IB internship through the summer route (so those who didn't get fast-tracked from the SW) has either completed 1 internship or is just a beast in finance who have shown their interest in the industry through other methods. Going back to the summer process, I should also add that it is far more gruelling in most cases, with more rounds (e.g. MS) than you'd get in a SW. Also for the summer process, a final round does not mean you are close to an offer. There's a lot of work to do still and you can perform perfectly well and still not get an offer.

I've yapped on about experience a lot but to be honest you still have a chance if you don't have much. If instead you accrue some good extracurricular experience (things like Enactus, sports teams etc.) you will still get recruiters looking your way. Just make sure you apply early, have a well-presented CV with some substance, nail online tests (you really shouldn't be failing any, though Talent Q can be let off), dress well for interviews and remember your career is a marathon and not a sprint so keep perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Finally an offer from MS after over a month! eeeeep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats vmwl !!! Still waiting for MS... Did you a receive a call? What was the number?

ReputationRep:
    Do we think there's no hope of an offer from GS IBD if I haven't heard anything yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bea.watts12)
    Do we think there's no hope of an offer from GS IBD if I haven't heard anything yet?
    I'm just assuming rejection now even though my application still says "application received"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    I'm just assuming rejection now even though my application still says "application received"
    Interesting... Mine says "under review"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REAMIL73)
    Congrats vmwl !!! Still waiting for MS... Did you a receive a call? What was the number?
    Thank you!! It was a call, from an 0207 number

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GS Securities Offer!!!

Big congrats!!!! Hard work finally paid off, well done!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    how was the barclays final round interview for you guys? mine was done after like 15 minutes..is that good or bad?

ReputationRep:
    what type of questions were you asked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madvillainy)
    what type of questions were you asked?
    competency questions

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard back from UBS Horizons yet?

ReputationRep:
    HSBC Offer!

ReputationRep:
    GS Securities Offer!!!

Congrats. Not many can do GS Spring and JPM Summer in one year

ReputationRep:
    GS Securities Offer!!!

Congrats!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    HSBC Offer!
    Congrats, issued by phone or email?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kccao1)
    how was the barclays final round interview for you guys? mine was done after like 15 minutes..is that good or bad?
    Was it only competency, no motivation questions??
    And finishing in 15 min should be a good sign I guess...good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.