The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Would never rule it out, I know circumstances are different, but Fergie's retirement was speculated on/confirmed literally over night.
Original post by leinad2012
Barca go for small time managers who few have heard of recently, Klopp isn't that.

Yes Pep Guardiola, Tito Villanova, Luis Enrique those totally unknown quantaties in football.
Barca go for small time managers who few have heard of recently, Klopp isn't that.

Real go for the 2 time champions league winners or big boys for the last decade, Ancellotti Mou etc.

Klopp is neither.

Tbh I'd rather we took a Rafa over Klopp when Wenger does eventually leave, if there's one thing we've leanrnt from the Moyesy incident is that the only way entitled fans and the media will respect you is if you're a big name, can you imagine what would have happened if Moyes played a 3-5-2 and drew?

giv' it Rosicky till end o' season tbh
Original post by Depleted
It's not like his style of play isn't suited to the PL though? You're also forgetting that he'd have:

A) a fairly large transfer budget to bring in who he likes
B) basically a ready-made squad which needs a couple additions to complete

The style of play he implements is totally suited to the PL and is (I think) quite similar to how Liverpool were playing towards the back end of last season, high press with explosiveness up top and pace. And in any case the argument of adapting to PL isn't really relevant to BuLi which is quick paced anyway. He didn't just compete with Bayern, there's Schalke, Werder, Wolfsburg who are capable of challenging too.

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
It's just nonsense to say stuff like that (from AR) because even if his competition was 'just' Bayern in BuLi, because Klopp was managing 'just' Dortmund. Arsenal's squad is far better than Dortmunds. Also, even though it was 'just' Bayern, it was Bayern teams managed by van Gaal, Heynckes and Guardiola (5 CLs won between them). Klopp broke a 40 year old points tally record in the BuLi, and countless other records.

Trying to discredit his achievements in Germany is just dumb.

No it isn't nonsense. If we factor in the players Klopp had under his side (Lewa, Gotze, Reus, Gundogan, Hummels) I wouldn't say it's actually far off, if at all to the side we had a few years ago, if not then better. Also I didn't discredit his achievements.

2nd to 4th in terms of pts behind 1st in the Buli this season

Compared to the current difference in the PL

The gap in the Buli has been higher during 2013/2014 and 2012/2013 too.

Also considering the fact that the gap between 1st and the rest of the top four has been higher this season then most in the PL compared to the BuLi which is usually miles off. In no way is it comparable when the teams like you've mentioned are 26 points off 1st (Schalke 2014).

Then you have to factor how long it would take Klopp to embed his style of play into the side. Sure we have high energy players such as Welbeck, Sanchez, Ox , Ramsey etc but pressing atm is one of our weaker aspects to the game. There's also no guarantee how much of a budget he'd have either as it would be allocated by the board.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes Pep Guardiola, Tito Villanova, Luis Enrique those totally unknown quantaties in football.

Pep wasn't well known before barca, villanova and Enrique were both relati Ely small time by comparison to the big big names
Pep wasn't well known before barca, villanova and Enrique were both relati Ely small time by comparison to the big big names

... So what you're saying is nobody had heard of Guardiola, Villanova or Enrique before they took over?
And before Mourinho, the likes of Pelligrini (had won **** all) and Berndt ****ing Schuster managed Real ffs

Not like Real have any more distinguished options than Klopp to go for

oh and Juande Ramos LOL

oh and Juande Ramos LOL

Was it him who signed Faubert lel
Original post by AR_95
No it isn't nonsense. If we factor in the players Klopp had under his side (Lewa, Gotze, Reus, Gundogan, Hummels) I wouldn't say it's actually far off, if at all to the side we had a few years ago, if not then better. Also I didn't discredit his achievements.

2nd to 4th in terms of pts behind 1st in the Buli this season

Compared to the current difference in the PL

The gap in the Buli has been higher during 2013/2014 and 2012/2013 too.

Also considering the fact that the gap between 1st and the rest of the top four has been higher this season then most in the PL compared to the BuLi which is usually miles off. In no way is it comparable when the teams like you've mentioned are 26 points off 1st (Schalke 2014).

Then you have to factor how long it would take Klopp to embed his style of play into the side. Sure we have high energy players such as Welbeck, Sanchez, Ox , Ramsey etc but pressing atm is one of our weaker aspects to the game. There's also no guarantee how much of a budget he'd have either as it would be allocated by the board.

None of what you said answered my paragraph

And clutching at straws by saying you wouldn't have a budget lol
... So what you're saying is nobody had heard of Guardiola, Villanova or Enrique before they took over?

No I'm saying that all of them had very little managing experience previous to their appointment at barca...
None of what you said answered my paragraph

And clutching at straws by saying you wouldn't have a budget lol

Well you said it was nonsense to say their only competition are Bayern (which it isn't as I've proved)

And you can call it whatever you want lmao but the point stands
Was it him who signed Faubert lel

Mourinho signed Adebayor.

#NeverForget
Not much to say really AR if you want to try and discredit Klopp's achievements by saying that the BuLi (and Bayern) are weak,
or pretend that Wenger has you near a title challenge this season,
or can't see that failure to get effective pressing from your players is down to Wenger,
or can't accept that a new manager would get significant funds,
or don't believe that Klopp would improve you in Europe from day 1,
or won't admit that Klopp overachieved with his players.

I'm all for Wenger staying at Arsenal for longer :smile:
Milner picks you lot over us, according to the Independent.
Not much to say really AR if you want to try and discredit Klopp's achievements by saying that the BuLi (and Bayern) are weak,
or can't see that failure to get effective pressing from your players is down to Wenger,

Which is all absolute *******s because none of it relates to what I was saying initially

+ Was not discrediting Klopps achievements, but I said that in the BuLi the only team they'd be competing for the title with is Bayern
+ Don't know where you managed to find the idea that I called Bayern weak
+ Didn't say we were near a title challenge this season
+ Didn't say that he'd be unable to make us press effectively but mentioned the time it would take for the system to work
+ Didn't reject the idea that we'd get further than R16 at any point today
+ Haven't denied that he's overarchieved either.

All of which is irrelevant to the only point that was made which was we'd be at risk of missing out on top four and taking a step back.

Essentially you've put words in my mouth but then try and say I'm the one clutching at straws here rofl. It's a poor attempt. Besides, Wenger has more chance of winning another the title then Rodgers ever will have, which is pretty lolworthy
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
He's made some great signings even in the past 3 years.

Giroud £9.6m, Cazorla £13m, Oxlade £12m and even the likes of Monreal for £9m have been good in the end. When you consider that Mangala cost City £35m, Lovren/Sakho £20m and that Spurs have spunked more on the likes of Chirches, Fazio, Gabriel for £13m looks like a smart move too. Not even mentioning the likes of Koscielny who cost £10m.

Cant have it both ways anyway. When we were skint Wenger worked miracles and obviously got more rough gems, now that he can afford to buy the finished product in Alexis, Ozil etc you can hardly complain that he's not signing Vieira for £2.5m any more.

You talk about Cazorla, Monreal but you have to remember that was only because of Malaga's financial crisis. Giroud is looking like a good deal now but he isn't a world class striker to really replace RVP. Ox was a good signing but Man Utd was also in for him it wasn't really something where Wenger spotted him. Gabriel I can't comment on him as I haven't seen enough yet.

I think some of the signings made this season were not that smart. Alexis, Debuchy, Ospina are ok but Chambers and Welbeck were not good signings imo. Chambers as a RB is probably worse than Bellerin, Jenkinson and Debuchy so what's the point of him? People might say that he's one for the future but that's just speculation. Welbeck was a complete waste of money there were better strikers available but Wenger had no intention of actually buying one he just signed him because Giroud got injured. Look at Vietto he only cost 5.5m and is having a great season at Villareal also he's only 21.

Also with the issue of Coquelin. He only brought him back because of long term injuries to Arteta, Flamini, Wilshere etc. He never rated him otherwise why did he send him out on loan to a mid table championship club like Charlton?

1)We can and have pressed effectively at times this season, we pressed LFC tod eath not 2 weeks ago for instance.
2)Pressing is in vogue amongst many managers but it is very far from being a necessary tactic for success. City won the league last season without any pressing game, Chelsea do not press particularly much either and nor do the CL holders Real Madrid. Meanwhile Spurs are capable of springing an almighty pressing game but look where they are.

In many cases in fact pressing is basically employed by teams lacking the quality to compete with better teams otherwise and there are many more complex tactical systems to employ.
Original post by Mackay
Milner picks you lot over us, according to the Independent.

If you read the article they mention "according to The Sun" so I wouldn't consider it.
Original post by Zürich
1)We can and have pressed effectively at times this season, we pressed LFC tod eath not 2 weeks ago for instance.
2)Pressing is in vogue amongst many managers but it is very far from being a necessary tactic for success. City won the league last season without any pressing game, Chelsea do not press particularly much either and nor do the CL holders Real Madrid. Meanwhile Spurs are capable of springing an almighty pressing game but look where they are.

In many cases in fact pressing is basically employed by teams lacking the quality to compete with better teams otherwise and there are many more complex tactical systems to employ.

It was more about AR trying to suggest that Wenger wasn't at fault for a failure to press well, despite admitting that your players had the ability to do so.
Also Aqib just read back through the thread, the quotes are there for every one of them.

Still waiting on a reply in the Liverpool thread x

Latest