UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Roughly 82nd percentile. So you are in top 18%
    Ah! Cheers that's nice to hear.

ReputationRep:
    Yes if you have a high UCAS tariff, so high predicted or achieved A levels are required.
    ahhh but their website says below 3rd decile wont be offered an interview??? what does that mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not_a_horse)
    Hi Guys, I am quite confused as to what deciles mean as there seems to be various explanations o this thread, does a score of 2080 mean I'm in the top 80% or top 90% as some say its the 9th decile...
    where are you planning to apply. I have 700 similar score...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    ahhh but their website says below 3rd decile wont be offered an interview??? what does that mean
    UKCAT scores of 1790 or below would not be offered an interview. So basically if you are in the bottom 30%

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT scores of 1790 or below would not be offered an interview. So basically if you are in the bottom 30%
    ohhhh!!! ok! that makes sense thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    where are you planning to apply. I have 700 similar score...
    Imperial, St George's, Southampton and UEA. Imperial is BMAT which I need to ace to be in with a chance at all and a lot of people seem to think that S'thmpton is Ukcat heavy, it isn't. They simply rank the top 500 or so candidates by their UKCAT score. Last year the lowest interviewed was 640 I think so its a safe option.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial, St George's, Southampton and UEA. Imperial is BMAT which I need to ace to be in with a chance at all and a lot of people seem to think that S'thmpton is Ukcat heavy, it isn't. They simply rank the top 500 or so candidates by their UKCAT score. Last year the lowest interviewed was 640 I think so its a safe option.
    how is it bmat prep? I'm applying too oxford so sitting it too...

ReputationRep:
    how is it bmat prep? I'm applying too oxford so sitting it too...
    Atrocious so far, I can't even do an hour a day because so school homework and tests. I did a practice and got 4.4 and 4.7 which is no where near decent.

ReputationRep:
    So for southhampton, they check you met the minimum requirements and once you met the UKCAT score for top 500 you get interview?

ReputationRep:
    Atrocious so far, I can't even do an hour a day because so school homework and tests. I did a practice and got 4.4 and 4.7 which is no where near decent.
    i am starting today.. scared! I'm going on this BMAT course thing. hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I have 4 predicted A* in A level bio chem physics maths (I achieved over 93% in all 4 subjects in AS and since i'm doing cie rather than ocr, they count for 50% for my final a level grade) , a predicted A in EPQ. I also have 7 A*(bio, chem, phy, maths, ICT, eco, arabic as a foreign language) in gcse and 2 A (english and english lit) Tariff 248 (630 with old points)
    Ukcat score was very weird
    VR- 500
    QR- 890
    AR- 720
    Total- 2110
    Avg- 703
    SJ- Band 1
    Do you think my application would be successful to a uni such as queen mary for medicine (barts and london school) even with such a low VR score? (I'm an international student studyinh in uk and have ielts overall 8.5)

ReputationRep:
    So for southhampton, they check you met the minimum requirements and once you met the UKCAT score for top 500 you get interview?
    I don't know the exact process but basically yh. Once you are ranked amongst the top scores, they screen your academics to check that you've met the minimum and then invite you for a selection day.

ReputationRep:
    Roughly 82nd percentile. So you are in top 18%
    what. 82%? How did you come to that conclusion.
    Just tell them they are in the top 20%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo_elheramy)
    Hey guys
    I have 4 predicted A* in A level bio chem physics maths (I achieved over 93% in all 4 subjects in AS and since i'm doing cie rather than ocr, they count for 50% for my final a level grade) , a predicted A in EPQ. I also have 7 A*(bio, chem, phy, maths, ICT, eco, arabic as a foreign language) in gcse and 2 A (english and english lit) Tariff 248 (630 with old points)
    Ukcat score was very weird
    VR- 500
    QR- 890
    AR- 720
    Total- 2110A
    vg- 703
    SJ- Band 1
    Do you think my application would be successful to a uni such as queen mary for medicine (barts and london school) even with such a low VR score? (I'm an international student studyinh in uk and have ielts overall 8.5)
    Those are amazing stats mate, I don't think queen mary's looks at individual subsections but still you have a great chance for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    what. 82%? How did you come to that conclusion.
    Just tell them they are in the top 20%
    That guy got a score of 2080. 9th decile is 2150. 8th decile is 2060.
    2150-2060=90 90/10=9 therefore each percentile between 8th and 9th decile is worth a UKCAT score of 9. 2080-2060=20 20/9=roughly 2 percentiles
    therefore 80+2=82nd percentile roughly

ReputationRep:
    2150-2060=90 90/10=9 therefore each percentile between 8th and 9th decile is worth a UKCAT score of 9. 2080-2060=20 20/9=roughly 2 percentiles
    Im going by you haha as i got a similar score and it is massaging my ego.

ReputationRep:
    It's not uniform though. There isn't anyway to know what exact percentage they have done better than and it's more accurate to say they have done better than 80% of people rather than 82%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    It's not uniform though. There isn't anyway to know what exact percentage they have done better than and it's more accurate to say they have done better than 80% of people rather than 82%.
    Mate 2% isn't a massive difference I'm happy either way.

ReputationRep:
    Im going by you haha as i got a similar score and it is massaging my ego.
    There is no doubt that you have done better than 80% of people. People are getting confused with the names and that has no effect it's just used to compare what score you have with others.
    lol i don't know why assuming u have done better than 2% more people would massage ur ego haha

ReputationRep:
    Mate 2% isn't a massive difference I'm happy either way.
    Yeah i was kinda linking it to michaela where she attempted to find her percentage and you can't do it. Seeing as they thought enough to go into the technicalities i spoke about the technicalities even though it's not a big deal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.