Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    As in why should places that voted to Remain get to Remain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No why should the majority be ignored for these places?

I honestly don't care if Scotland voted to leave the uk we can not let one place hold the majority in Europe against their will, and the U.K. Population voted leave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The Scottish marginally voted to stay in the UK based on the existing state of affairs. There is no change more seismic than being dragged out of the EU against the will of the people. So yes, it's a legitimate claim, especially with the strong majority the SNP has.

I don't want it to happen, personally - Labour would probably never win another election - but it seems inarguable that another referendum is deserved.
    They voted with a 10% majority, hardly marginal, and with much sounded finances, a second referendum would be devastating for the SNP, nationalists don't get a third shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Interesting article suggesting that people voted to leave not to change anything, but because they belive things can't get any worse.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Interestingly, despite voting to remain, the statistics for the petition about having a second referendum indicate that only low levels of people in Scottish constituencies are asking for a second EU referendum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Interesting talk that both remain and skeptic MP's want Gove to stand.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Interestingly, despite voting to remain, the statistics for the petition about having a second referendum indicate that only low levels of people in Scottish constituencies are asking for a second EU referendum.
    I think one thing that can be drawn from the second referendum petition is that it is a populist movement spreading on Facebook that was started by the naive young people who are convinced Britain will collapse as a country, the whole world will shut them out, the old were selfish when voting, and democracy should only suit what the young want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I think one thing that can be drawn from the second referendum petition is that it is a populist movement spreading on Facebook that was started by the naive young people who are convinced Britain will collapse as a country, the whole world will shut them out, the old were selfish when voting, and democracy should only suit what the young want.
    Maybe we should start a petition to wind them up even more saying give farage a knighthood.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    In a weird way, I admire Gove. I fundamentally disagree with him on many, many things, but he recognises radical change is needed in places like Education, even though I rarely agree with the changes themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Gove would be a good choice, from a Brexit point he is committed, principled, and comes across as an MP who would negotiate the very best deal, not do what Cameron did by accepting the first thing offered, nor do my biggest fear, which is pushing back activating article 50 to a time where the remainders call the first result invalid, or ignoring the referendum.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    He needs to be at the table, whether that be Pm or Foreign

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Probably because they belive they are leaving the UK and joining the EU anyway?

Having looked at Lord ashcrofts exit poll it would seem that actually there was a low elderly turnout more that anything. Or his poll is dreadfully wrong, because if applied across the whole country and demographics it would predict a 60-40 leave vote
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    I think that you're absolutely right and I also think that we reap what we sow when we have a whole generation of kids told that 'everyone's a winner', that you don't have to do something if you don't want to, and just to complain when something doesn't go your way.

Gove would be a good choice, from a Brexit point he is committed, principled, and comes across as an MP who would negotiate the very best deal, not do what Cameron did by accepting the first thing offered, nor do my biggest fear, which is pushing back activating article 50 to a time where the remainders call the first result invalid, or ignoring the referendum.
    Gove as PM would be great, the problem is that he's seen badly by teachers and a lot of parents, so that's a large chunk of the electorate he's upset, though that said, do many teachers and lefty parents vote Tory? Probably not.

Also, found this great song the other day I think sums up the Brexit vote and what to expect now:

Why, oh why didn't we use something like this in adverts for Leave?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Probably because they belive they are leaving the UK and joining the EU anyway?

Having looked at Lord ashcrofts exit poll it would seem that actually there was a low elderly turnout more that anything. Or his poll is dreadfully wrong, because if applied across the whole country and demographics it would predict a 60-40 leave vote
    1466869081556.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No quite sure what it means by the percentage of people who got through the poll done by Sky news but I take it it means the percentage of people who voted by age group?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Jonathan Pearce and Clive Tyldesley will no doubt try to outdo each other in the "who can be the biggest **** of a commentator" contest with endless jokes. God help us all.

Hopefully Northern Ireland will win.
    It took Guy Mowbray about 3 seconds from Lineker handing over to him to make the first Brexit reference.

Got to say it's weird to hear NI sing GSTQ before (a very rushed) Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    No quite sure what it means by the percentage of people who got through the poll done by Sky news but I take it it means the percentage of people who voted by age group?
    Yeah, while it may not be totally accurate I would say it's likely not too far off as it reflects the official data from other nationwide votes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Yeah, while it may not be totally accurate I would say it's likely not too far off as it reflects the official data from other nationwide votes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then the Lord Ashcroft poll is massively wrong.
    Or... I forgot to account for UK people under 18 in my maths...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    There are now rumours that Scottish labour would be siding on a leave the UK vote after brexit. So can we say good bye to Scotland yet?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    There are now rumours that Scottish labour would be siding on a leave the UK vote after brexit. So can we say good bye to Scotland yet?
    Rumours is the key word, they would get hammered in Westminster for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aph)
    Congratulations, they've just put the Scottish Tories (defenders of the union) over 30% if that's really true and the referendum is not held before 2020.

At any rate i think Scotland is winnable. Only 17% of people are potentially pissed here that matter (the difference between 2014 leave and 2016 Stay) however turnout on Thursday was about 15% lower than will be the case in a Scottish exit referendum which suggests that that 15% of the electorate probably don't care about EU membership on top of whatever portion of that 17% considers it a smaller issue than staying with the UK.

To conclude for those i've confused, Wesminster just needs to convince about an extra 10% of those who voted to stay in the EU but voted Remain in 2014. That's achievable if Westminster has learnt its lesson and sells the union.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.