Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gotta love the Welsh Tory leader.. campaigns to stay but seeing the result he calls the result fabulous.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Rumours is the key word, they would get hammered in Westminster for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Scottish labour is independent from the rest of labour generally.
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Congratulations, they've just put the Scottish Tories (defenders of the union) over 30% if that's really true and the referendum is not held before 2020.

At any rate i think Scotland is winnable. Only 17% of people are potentially pissed here that matter (the difference between 2014 leave and 2016 Stay) however turnout on Thursday was about 15% lower than will be the case in a Scottish exit referendum which suggests that that 15% of the electorate probably don't care about EU membership on top of whatever portion of that 17% considers it a smaller issue than staying with the UK.

To conclude for those i've confused, Wesminster just needs to convince about an extra 10% of those who voted to stay in the EU but voted Remain in 2014. That's achievable if Westminster has learnt its lesson and sells the union.
    I really don't think Scotland is winnable. At least from what I've seen lots of people who voted to stay in the UK last time are changed to leave. A BoJo government would only help that. I expect a referendum to be held by 2018, even if that is without the consent of Westminster.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Gotta love the Welsh Tory leader.. campaigns to stay but seeing the result he calls the result fabulous.
    Andrew RT Davies was always for Leave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Scottish labour is independent from the rest of labour generally.

I really don't think Scotland is winnable. At least from what I've seen lots of people who voted to stay in the UK last time are changed to leave. A BoJo government would only help that. I expect a referendum to be held by 2018, even if that is without the consent of Westminster.
    They may be separate but that won't help them in the eyes of the demos, especially when the Tory machine gets spinning

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    So nice to finish off some champagne and now beers tonight!

Well, I say nice, perhaps I should say that it's necessary with all the ****ing arguments at home...!!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    They may be separate but that won't help them in the eyes of the demos, especially when the Tory machine gets spinning

Posted from TSR Mobile
    TBH it doesn't matter if Scotland leaves how Westminster looks at labour because labour will be dead anyway and then Dave will go down in history as the man who broke the union and boosted the far right in Europe.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    TBH it doesn't matter if Scotland leaves how Westminster looks at labour because labour will be dead anyway and then Dave will go down in history as the man who broke the union and boosted the far right in Europe.
    Brexit is going to be good for Britain with the economy growing at a faster rate when not shackled to inward-looking regulatory body Scotland will not vote to leave the United Kingdom when the emotions of the Brexit vote decline, and the United Kingdom will not be broken up. Brexit will be seen as the obvious choice by the history books; Cameron will go down as the Prime Minister people of tomorrow laugh at for choosing the wrong side; and Johnson, Gove, and Farage will be seen as the men who worked to bring about the best thing to happen to Britain since the Industrial Revolution.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have to say the arrogance of the remain campaign is sickening
    I'm sorry you don't believe in democracy and you're opinion is more important Than the other 17 million people who voted to leave
    The Second Referendum Petition is disgusting
    British democracy is alive and well then
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I'm sorry you don't believe in democracy and you're opinion is more important Than the other 17 million people who voted to leave
    I don't support a second referendum but we all know Farage and his lot would be campaigning for one if things were the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    The remain people, expect the hundreds I have seen on twitter myself saying they have signed it despite voting leave? And there are bounds to be many more who voted leave who have done likewise as I have only access to a very small snapshot of twitter activity in regards to UK politics.

To be clear I reject a second referendum and Parliament not abiding the result, but it is not just the remainers who are calling for a second referendum, lots of leavers feel disillusioned and lied to.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Beliving in democracy and thinking that referendums are insane are totally different.
    Democracy is not a means unto itself and has to be justified.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    The remain people, expect the hundreds I have seen on twitter myself saying they have signed it despite voting leave? And there are bounds to be many more who voted leave who have done likewise as I have only access to a very small snapshot of twitter activity in regards to UK politics.

To be clear I reject a second referendum and Parliament not abiding the result, but it is not just the remainers who are calling for a second referendum, lots of leavers feel disillusioned and lied to.
    Then they should have thought harder, how many remainers in 10 years are going to be admitting they were wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then they should have thought harder, how many remainers in 10 years are going to be admitting they were wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some maybe, but I think we will actually see a movement rise, like UKIP has, but this one to rejoin the EU, to the same successful extent? I doubt it, but I think a European movement will exist if the EU stays together
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If any do they would be wrong to. Bad things that happen in the EU now will undoubtedly be the result of Brexit.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    When the indies failed to secure Scottish Independence they all went off to vote SNP. Now that Brexit has won there's no more reason to vote UKIP, so hopefully they'll fade away and vanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    When the indies failed to secure Scottish Independence they all went off to vote SNP. Now that Brexit has one there's no more reason to vote UKIP, so hopefully they'll fade away and vanish.
    I think they will only grow, one of the major parties in Iceland I think it is are called the Independence Party, despite Independence having been won around a hundred years ago
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I think they will only grow, one of the major parties in Iceland I think it is are called the Independence Party, despite Independence having been won around a hundred years ago
    A hundred years ago? I thought that was a WW2 thing?

Regardless, except for the name I don't think UKIP is really comparable.

ReputationRep:
    A hundred years ago? I thought that was a WW2 thing?

Regardless, except for the name I don't think UKIP is really comparable.
    I only read something on facebook about it, the detail could easily be wrong, just was a kipper using it to argue ukip won't go anywhere

ReputationRep:
    You posted on this thread about wanting another referendum if Remain won it by less than 10%....

I am normally a fan of Farage but the sight of him in Westminister laughing made me ill.

I don't support a second referendum but we all know Farage and his lot would be campaigning for one if things were the other way around.
    See above.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    When the indies failed to secure Scottish Independence they all went off to vote SNP. Now that Brexit has one there's no more reason to vote UKIP, so hopefully they'll fade away and vanish.
    I can't help but feel that UKIP will just grow now and springboard up.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.