Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate England Thread watch

Announcements

John Terry is good, he made a lot of good tackles for us. This can be seen with a clean sheet against Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    Johnson does last man tackle - Gets slated.

Terry clears it after it's crossed the line - Hero

Fact. He's so underrated it's untrue and this 'can't defend' bull**** is something else people just regurgitate what they read in the paper.

What's Kyle Walker then? He's supposed to be so much better but all he does is run fast.
    He had a poor tournament in my opinion. Lost possession far too much (Italy first half was the best example of this, second half he was much better), his positioning was also very suspect. Richards is by far the superior player and people are completely justified in having him over Johnson.

I also don't read the football section of newspapers, especially not match reports, i dont need someone to tell me if a player played well or not when I watched the match.

ReputationRep:
    Neither Terry nor Johnson had particularly good tournaments - Lescott and Cole played much better.

ReputationRep:
    England ranked 4th in the world :adore:

Woy's Boys :sogood::dice:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18703497

ReputationRep:
    What an utterly ridiculous list :rofl2:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    England 4th, Italy 7th :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    4th best in the world and we're still not happy...

Edit: I can't remember how the ranking work exactly, but if more weighting was given to how good the opposition were, we'd soon drop down in rankings. We haven't beaten a good team in a tournament since '96!

ReputationRep:
    Beating the best team of all time a few months ago probably cemented our place at the top tbf.

ReputationRep:
    The points per game is:

100 x result points (3,1 or 0*) x opposition x match status x regional strength.

Well friendlies have a multiplier of x1, Euro qualifiers have a x2.5 multiplier, and Euro tournament games have a x3 multiplier.

The opposition strength is (200 - rank)/100 an exception being Spain who are given an opposition strength of 2.

So because of the weighting towards qualifiers and tournaments, friendlies have very little weighting. A qualifier against a team ranked 100 is worth more than a friendly against Spain. You can just see that the opposition multiplier doesn't actually vary that much (which is why we're doing well considering we can't beat a decent team in a tournament).

* Exceptions being winning on pens = 2, losing on pens = 1.

ReputationRep:
    So nike are sponsoring the England kits until 2018.

Personally I think it's about time, sick of the Umbro kits such a crappy English brand, I've never bought one as I've never being one to adore the Umbro styling.

Finally a great brand to make the kits I think I may actually purchase one!

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Good, Nike is the best sports brand.

ReputationRep:
    Nike own Umbro so it's not much of a change. Personally always thought the Umbro England kits have been quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LUFC Tom)
    Nike own Umbro so it's not much of a change. Personally always thought the Umbro England kits have been quite good.
    umbro's just a sports direct chav brand in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smart Ass)
    And what's Nike? They make the Tracksuits, shoes and Man United shirts that Chavs wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smart Ass)
    I wouldn't say so in terms of football kits they led the revival of retro style shirts and produce good quality shirts.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...land-kits.html

Nothing against Umbro, they've served us well, but finally.

ReputationRep:
    Another shirt is coming out?!? We've only had the new one for a few months.

Well the FA won't be getting my money.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to seeing that, should be different. Im pretty sure Umbro had ran out of ideas when they kept releasing the same '1966' style year after year.

ReputationRep:
    Are Phil Jones and Chris Smalling still injured as they don't seem to have been considered for the most recent England squad?

Also, how come young wasn't chosen for the squad? He's been one of England's best players in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skotch)
    Are Phil Jones and Chris Smalling still injured as they don't seem to have been considered for the most recent England squad?

Also, how come young wasn't chosen for the squad? He's been one of England's best players in recent years.
    All three are injured

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.