Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Don't worry about subject knowledge. Catch up as you go and know what you're teaching. Until you know how to teach it, there isn't too much point learning it.

Take it slowly and don't freak out yet. You'll be fine. Buying the equipment is the best part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sure this has been covered, but what equipment do we need? I have only bought a pack of pens and an A4 pad so far

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I (and no doubt many others also) know what you're going through .... I have 4 kids as well and what seemed like a long time to prepare at the start of the hols, the time seems to have vanished! I'm starting a salaried schools direct position and will be teaching classes in two weeks! I've read some but not enough ... But does it ever feel like it is enough ...... It's a vast subject area. So don't panic, just do want you can and prioritise as best you can .... As the old saying goes ...."it'll all come out in the wash"! Hopefully! All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    I'm sure this has been covered, but what equipment do we need? I have only bought a pack of pens and an A4 pad so far
    Folders as well I'd say. Then again, I haven't bought anything yet, being a bit of a last minute Larry 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've finally heard back from uni about my enrolment day, i thought maybe i would have induction into library and some course stuff but sadly not. I just have to be there for an hour and i will be doing near on 4 hours travelling to get there and back which is a bit of a pain. I do hope i will get my student ID and that it will be valid on that day so i can go into london and do a bit of shopping

I just want to get started now, the 16th feels way too far away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sans-peur)
    I've finally heard back from uni about my enrolment day, i thought maybe i would have induction into library and some course stuff but sadly not. I just have to be there for an hour and i will be doing near on 4 hours travelling to get there and back which is a bit of a pain. I do hope i will get my student ID and that it will be valid on that day so i can go into london and do a bit of shopping

I just want to get started now, the 16th feels way too far away!
    16th is pretty late to start. I started on like the 4th or something. Yeah, if you are commuting that far to uni then prepare to get annoyed frequently. We had a few people who commuted far and there was constant events on that they had to come to, only to get told when we got there that it was directed study. I felt their pain!

ReputationRep:
    I don't start until the 21st! I feel like I start so much later than everyone else. The wait is agonising!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    16th is pretty late to start. I started on like the 4th or something. Yeah, if you are commuting that far to uni then prepare to get annoyed frequently. We had a few people who commuted far and there was constant events on that they had to come to, only to get told when we got there that it was directed study. I felt their pain!
    I'm only going to be at uni one day a week and possibly not every week it seems so commuting isnt going to be too much of a pain in the long run. i'm not doing a PGCE so a bit different to most other people on this board.

Just want to get started now on the course

ReputationRep:
    All starts for me tomorrow........INSET day followed by first classes on Thursday. (Non salaried schools direct). But, hey....how hard can it be???.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neilcn)
    All starts for me tomorrow........INSET day followed by first classes on Thursday. (Non salaried schools direct). But, hey....how hard can it be???.
    Golly, that's early. Is it Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    Nope..... East Midlands. We traditionally have early summer holidays (and early returns!) Used to be to allow for factory closures. I'm old enough to remember the Leicester July fortnight when everything there (including the schools) always closed down for the first two weeks in July.

ReputationRep:
    Nope..... East Midlands. We traditionally have early summer holidays (and early returns!) Used to be to allow for factory closures. I'm old enough to remember the Leicester July fortnight when everything there (including the schools) always closed down for the first two weeks in July.
    Ah, right. Same story in Lancashire, I think. Hard luck. Still, the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. (Actually, is that even true or comforting? I don't know.) Anyway, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Looking forward to it, and finally feel entitled to post on this thread after months of stalking!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Looking forward to it, and finally feel entitled to post on this thread after months of stalking!
    All are welcome here. The support is vital. (BTW if you use the reply button in the post box instead of the quick reply box at the bottom, it will alert people that you've replied to them.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Ah, right. Same story in Lancashire, I think. Hard luck. Still, the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. (Actually, is that even true or comforting? I don't know.) Anyway, good luck!
    I'm in Lancashire and we start back on the 3rd September. That's normal right? I never considered it not to be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Lancashire and we start back on the 3rd September. That's normal right? I never considered it not to be!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's normal. I was thinking about Wakes Weeks and places like Wigan and Oldham, which used to have that pattern of holidays. Probably don't these days. I go back a long way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    All are welcome here. The support is vital. (BTW if you use the reply button in the post box instead of the quick reply box at the bottom, it will alert people that you've replied to them.)
    Got it! Yes, I'm sure I will be back for some moral support........

ReputationRep:
    My uni lectures begin on the 14th, but I've got a week long placement starting in the 7th to do before that.

Nearly all my previous experience was with KS1, I'm excited to get some time with KS2. And a bit nervous if I have year 6...some of them are definitely taller than me (and probably have better hair and makeup!).

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just to let you know, from next Wednesday I will be co-hosting a trainee teacher chat on Twitter. We'll put out a few questions and it'll be a good chance for us to share experiences, thoughts etc about our journey through our training route. The account to follow is @ITTChat.

I hope to speak to you all soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham must be very different to Leicester, even though we're right next door! I'm starting my PGCE on the 1st September, schools round here typically go back around the 3rd

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kinda random perhaps, but I've been pondering whether to try teaching, and the process has involved a lot of forum-surfing! I remember you from a thread a year or two old, where you were thinking seriously about finding another career. If it's not too intrusive, could I ask whether you still feel that way? And if not, what has changed?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.