Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcitedPup)
    Nonsense; it depends entirely on the type of resolution as to whether it would be considered binding.
    The UN Charter explicitly refers to the GA as only giving 'recommendations'. This has been repeatedly stressed in ICJ decisions as well. Generally, the only decisions the GA can make which are binding are those which concern matters internal to the UN as an organisation.

Actually it was the crux of my claim.

That makes absolutely no sense, and suggests you are struggling a little bit with the principles involved. How could the UNSCOP borders be the "basis" for self-determination? Self-determination is an inherent right arising from the sovereignty of the ethnic/national group in question.

The UNSCOP borders were a means to give effect to that right of self-determination

I implied no such thing. What I said was that the State of Israel encompassed a Jewish majority over its territory, and the Palestinian state encompassed an Arab majority over its territory. That is an indisputable fact.
    I'm going to lump all these together as they're essentially about the same point:

Your initial claim was this:
    the Jewish majority areas were given over the state of Israel, and the Muslim majority areas were given to the Palestinians.
    After my response, you said this, which is more or less the same as what you said in the last post, above in bold:
    the Jewish state encompassed a Jewish majority, and the Arab area encompassed an Arab majority
    These two claims quite plainly do not mean the same thing. The former implies that there should be no identifiably Arab-majority areas in the area designated for the Jewish state or vice versa (as they should, according to the claim, be in their own state). The latter implies that there could well be, simply that there is a Jewish/Arab majority overall across the respective designated areas.

For example, the latter would still be true if UNSCOP had designated only Tel-Aviv for the Jewish state and everything else for the Arab state, yet the former quite obviously would not.

Okay, it's 1948. The Israelis do not believe their rights will be protected in such a state and they declare independence; the Arabs reject your solution and any solution and attack Israel. They fight it out, Israel wins. What do you do now?
    Firstly, what borders does Israel claim?

Secondly, I reject the assumption that the Arabs would necessarily oppose such a solution. It gives them ultimately what they wanted - a single independent Palestinian state. True, there may be some opposition regarding the structure of the state being federal or consociational rather than a simply unitary state, but this would still be significantly easier to win round than partition.

Regardless, my move would be to send in international troops to enforce and maintain a ceasefire line, followed by a declaration that unless there is a mutually agreed partition, only a single state, with the same borders as those of the Mandate, will be internationally recognised and considered as legal. The form of that state is up for negotiation, though most likely it will require some sort of modus-vivendi and power-sharing agreement, at least initially, and that principle must be accepted as a basis for negotiations.

ReputationRep:
    Many people have been hoodwinked by the 'palestinian' narrative over the years about the so-called "Arab East Jerusalem" - as if Jews somehow don't belong there.

Here is part of the Jewish quarter in the "Old city" part of Jerusalem. Pre-1948

Here it is after the Jordanians (palestinians) got hold of it.

Here are the 'Jordanians' ethnically cleansing the Jewish population.

Invade the Jewish areas, destroy and loot their property - then claim Jews don't belong in the Old city.

And the European left wing lap it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LockheedSpooky)
    Many people have been hoodwinked by the 'palestinian' narrative over the years about the so-called "Arab East Jerusalem" - as if Jews somehow don't belong there.

Here is part of the Jewish quarter in the "Old city" part of Jerusalem. Pre-1948

Here it is after the Jordanians (palestinians) got hold of it.

Here are the 'Jordanians' ethnically cleansing the Jewish population.

Invade the Jewish areas, destroy and loot their property - then claim Jews don't belong in the Old city.

And the European left wing lap it up.
    If you really want to play the expulsion count, the numbers really aren't comparable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    If you really want to play the expulsion count, the numbers really aren't comparable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Twice as many Jews were expelled by Arabs in 1948 than vice-versa (actually closer to three times)

Of course the 'palestinians' did get the orders from their Arab brethren to temporarily vacate the land whilst the armies go and ethnically cleanse the indigenous Jewish population

It didn't work out that way

Could the 'palestinians' be habitual liars? well, here is a 'palestinian' elder and a 'palestinian' who worked for the 'palestinian' broadcasting service, owning up to some classic Pallywood shenanigans.

ReputationRep:
    Twice as many Jews were expelled by Arabs in 1948 than vice-versa (actually closer to three times)

Of course the 'palestinians' did get the orders from their Arab brethren to temporarily vacate the land whilst the armies go and ethnically cleanse the indigenous Jewish population

It didn't work out that way

You are aware this fictionalised version of history is long discredited, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    You are aware this fictionalised version of history is long discredited, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell that to the 'palestinians' in the video who seem to contradict you.

---

'palestinian' kids playing around rocket launchers aimed at Israel. Gee, I wonder who will get blamed when these launchers are targeted and children will inevitably get hurt?

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to the 'palestinians' in the video who seem to contradict you.

---

'palestinian' kids playing around rocket launchers aimed at Israel. Gee, I wonder who will get blamed when these launchers are targeted and children will inevitably get hurt?

>rocket launchers
    >long metal tubes

Can you provide some evidence for 3 times as many jews being expelled in 1948?

ReputationRep:
    The Arab refugees. How Arab states blocked solutions to their refugee problem

"the Arabs states do not want to solve the refugee problem"

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the palestinens started it by killing the iserali kid which started the whole conflict. I'm really suprised Isreal just dont invade the scum country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenBCFC)
    In my opinion the palestinens started it by killing the iserali kid which started the whole conflict. I'm really suprised Isreal just dont invade the scum country.
    The conflict has been going on longer than one year.

Educate yourself,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footstool1924)
    The conflict has been going on longer than one year.

Educate yourself,
    that sparked it back up for a while in this i'm on Isreals side

ReputationRep:
    that sparked it back up for a while in this i'm on Isreals side
    Are you? I didn't notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footstool1924)
    Are you? I didn't notice.
    Who's side you on

ReputationRep:
    Who's side you on
    The factual.

ReputationRep:
    Who's side you on
    it appears on the side of Islamic terrorism and ethnic cleansing.

The Muslims have ethnically cleansed the middle east of all the indigenous populations.

The Jews and a few pockets of Christians remain.

Some 'people' wish to make it a clean sweep for the Muslim invaders.

ReputationRep:
    The Muslims have ethnically cleansed the middle east of all the indigenous populations.

The Jews and a few pockets of Christians remain.
    Try again when you actually know what these terms mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watch the morally-bankrupt 'palestinian' culture at work. Kids being interviewed about their "martyrdom-seeking" mother and how many Jews she killed

ReputationRep:
    Watch the morally-bankrupt 'palestinian' culture at work. Kids being interviewed about their "martyrdom-seeking" mother and how many Jews she killed

Are you a real person or computer? Starting to think you are part of the israeli gov's internet propoganda division. -.-

ReputationRep:
    'palestinian' kids' TV encourages children to "shoot all Jews, all of them"

Makes you want to give them a state :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    'palestinian' kids' TV encourages children to "shoot all Jews, all of them"

Makes you want to give them a state :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.