Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Really really nice to see Allen score after his performances this season.

Benteke doing what he does best and cushioning the header down and providing a nice assist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving Joe Allen's man-bun today. xD

ReputationRep:
    Outstanding save Mignolet.

He's doing himself no harm whatsoever in these final games of the season.
    Maybe somebody will come in for him?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    2-0 Firmino needed that.

ReputationRep:
    Firmino 2-0

Mistake by Gomes, very much against the run of play. I'll take that!

ReputationRep:
    Firmino at it again...

ReputationRep:
    Benteke doing absolutely nothing to help himself in this game.

ReputationRep:
    Firmino has been terrific since he came on.

Ibe has just annoyed me. Has energy and confidence but always messes it up by falling over or taking it too far. He topped it all off for me by trying to score from a tight angle when a pass to one of three players would have left an open net.

I wouldn't be bothered if both Ibe and Benteke leave in the summer tbh, I just want us to keep Allen for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Benteke missing an absolute sitter.
    Cross is potentially a tad too high but he's 2 yards out with an empty goal.

This game should've been about 4-1.

ReputationRep:
    That'll do nicely.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Quality. Only three players started the match that played on Thursday, and it's testament to those who did because I thought they played really well and showed no signs of fatigue.

Watford are a poor side in truth. Without Ighalo firing, they offer very little. Today was a pedestrian match, played at a pedestrian pace, and it was the quintessential end-of-season dead rubber match.

I thought Mignolet showed quality again. I mentioned earlier this week how the sign of a good goalkeeper is having a quiet day at the office but being alert and ready when called upon. Too often, we've seen Mignolet concede from the first shot he has faced in a match. But today, he made an extraordinary save.

The back four did their jobs - I thought Skrtel played well on his final day in front of the Anfield crowd. I doubt he'll be here next season, and that knowledge may have actually made him perform better today. There may have been a case where he felt he had nothing to lose, and played without self-doubt, or the weight of expectation.

Beside him, Lucas stepped into the role of centre back well again and, while Flanagan could have done better going forward, I felt Moreno was positive and urgent and continues to show development.

I think the most pleasing aspect of today's performance was the way we've got through it unscathed and showed a good quality game management. We didn't play anybody needlessly, and allowed players rest.

The back four was makeshift, but kept a clean sheet. Benteke was deployed, but impressed and toiled and worked well. His touches were sharper than we've come to expect, and he linked up well with those around him.

In truth, Coutinho disappointed me again - for the third game in a row. But, taking the lead so early against a side who is clearly inferior, he may have played within himself. Again, if that's true, it's competent and clever game management.

Ojo showed flashes of good work and skill, but Ibe is clearly shot of confidence. He seems to overthink things, and if he spends next season on loan at a bottom half PL club, I'll be a happy man.

There's not much else to say aside from Allen was our MOTM - again. He's rapidly becoming one of my favourite players, and is enjoying a cult-like surge in reputation. He was good value for his goal today, when his midfield partner Stewart kept things simple and seemed unwilling to risk things.

Firmino completely enthralled me when he came on. I thought he was excellent and seemed to love the space he was afforded during the latter stages.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised that certain names played but good result and points. Missed the game but might try to catch the one on Wednesday.

The Man Utd v West Ham game will be huge. Could help us sneak into 4th if West Ham were to lose but I'd rather Man Utd didn't get CL football.. Also I need a Carroll double-hattrick since he's my triple captain in FF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Surprised that certain names played but good result and points. Missed the game but might try to catch the one on Wednesday.

The Man Utd v West Ham game will be huge. Could help us sneak into 4th if West Ham were to lose but I'd rather Man Utd didn't get CL football.. Also I need a Carroll double-hattrick since he's my triple captain in FF.
    Help us sneak into 6th, you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Few days old but still gold

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kloppholi...00261471199233

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if we can criticise Klopp for this season's league performance. We had 12 points, and were 6 off the league leaders after 8 games when he was appointed. Now we're 22 off, and a game behind, with 46 points in 28 games. That's barely 1.5 a game, let alone the 2 per game we should be aiming at. Second place are going to finish with 73 or less this year, the tally for fourth will be 69 at most. Pretty grim.

The most important aspect of a league position is whether it brings CL football or not. Reputation, high quality football, money and allure to top players all count as consequences of that. If we can win the final then obviously our league position is rendered irrelevant but despite the severe mitigating factors at play, you can't say Klopp has done much more than a par job in the league.

inb4 responses about cups and positive effect on club, all of which I know and understand, and make me glad that we have one of the three best coaches in the world as our manager.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This Hillsborough documentary is harrowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel No Ways)
    Wonder if we can criticise Klopp for this season's league performance. We had 12 points, and were 6 off the league leaders after 8 games when he was appointed. Now we're 22 off, and a game behind, with 46 points in 28 games. That's barely 1.5 a game, let alone the 2 per game we should be aiming at. Second place are going to finish with 73 or less this year, the tally for fourth will be 69 at most. Pretty grim.

The most important aspect of a league position is whether it brings CL football or not. Reputation, high quality football, money and allure to top players all count as consequences of that. If we can win the final then obviously our league position is rendered irrelevant but despite the severe mitigating factors at play, you can't say Klopp has done much more than a par job in the league.

inb4 responses about cups and positive effect on club, all of which I know and understand, and make me glad that we have one of the three best coaches in the world as our manager.
    It's his first season at the club so for me it was more of a grace period where the players and Klopp can adjust to each other and Klopp learns more about the nature of the league. Not to mention we've had quite a few injuries this season to the point where we had to bring in Caulker on a short term loan lol so that certainly affected our league position.

The whole league has underperformed too, just take a look at United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal- the so-called big clubs have really struggled and failed to meet expectations. The fact of the matter is that Klopp has come in and without spending a penny has taken us to two finals, which certainly highlights some progress. But yeah in the league we have severely underperformed, one good thing is the performances we've had against the top clubs this season. Hopefully we get CL and Klopp can bring in a few top players who'll help us next season. We just need to be able to dispatch the clubs at the bottom/middle end of the table, too many times we've lost points from winning positions or haven't been able to unlock tight defences (see Soton and Newcastle). Anyways, the future looks really bright and I'm incredibly glad the board brought in Klopp when they had the chance, it's an absolute joy to see him manage the club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel No Ways)

As joker said, he's only had 7 months of management, therefore I think it would be rash to judge him in a negative light.

Putting aside the extra fixtures (that have undoubtedly contributed to our poor PL season), I think the reason we've excelled so much more in the cups is because the players truly believed they could win them under Klopp.

With the PL, when Klopp took over we weren't doing so well and there have been so many teams this season between us and the top spot that it will have been hard for the players to envisage us winning it.

However in knockout rounds, you only have to focus on the game ahead of you and no bad results in the past will drag you down. Klopp has the exceptional ability to making the players play extraordinary football when we need to. We don't do it all the time but we do it in the big games, and you can see that by the quality of teams we've overcome this campaign (Dortmund, City, Chelsea, United, etc...)

All in all, even if we don't win the EL, I don't think anybody could say a bad word about Klopp. Yeah we'd end up finishing 6th-8th with no trophies, but the final is just one game. We lost on penalties to City and that's the finest of margins. Without spending a penny, this man has really made people start to respect how we can perform on a good day. Imagine what he's gonna do when he gets to spend nicely in the summer?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)

It was smart rotation from Klopp yesterday, really.

After Swansea, I'd have been in a quandary on how to approach another dead rubber like yesterday - but he deployed experience alongside youth in the right areas.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Jose Enrique has left Liverpool early according to Joyce.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.