The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heisenberg___
So yeah I did the old A-Level and got 3A* and an A at as-level. People who did epq and music qualifications could easily get tariffs around 600

Go on google and calculate tariff by the tariff calculator. You need to use predictions and u can't get A* at AS eventhough it's over 90%
Hey could anyone give me some advice? It's urgent obviously

I *somehow* got 2180 on my ukcat which puts me in the 9th decile

My plan was to apply to Exeter, Liverpool, Plymouth and BSMS (bmat) for Medicine with my backup being Chemical Engineering at Birmingham. I'm resitting btw

Only thing is since I got a good score, should I take out BSMS, not stress over the bmat (and get my money back) and apply for Chem Eng at Manchester where they are willing to give me an offer since I meet the points required??

Chemical engineering is competitive enough as it is so by putting 4 med unis and birmingham down, is it too risky? Or should I just maximise my chances with getting an interview for medicine by applying to Brighton anyway?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by angoranimi

My plan was to apply to Exeter, Liverpool, Plymouth and BSMS (bmat) for Medicine with my backup being Chemical Engineering at Birmingham. I'm resitting btw

Only thing is since I got a good score, should I take out BSMS, not stress over the bmat (and get my money back) and apply for Chem Eng at Manchester where they are willing to give me an offer since I meet the points required??

Chemical engineering is competitive enough as it is so by putting 4 med unis and birmingham down, is it too risky? Or should I just maximise my chances with getting an interview for medicine by applying to Brighton anyway?

Don't swap it with Chem eng. I reckon you should still do the bmat as just because u have a higher score it doesn't mean u are guaranteed an offer of interview. You shouldn't swap it for Chem eng anyway that's for sure seeing as if you are applying for med then you need to be committed and applying to other options when you have the credentials for medicine isn't smartest thing. Also could have some issues with personal statement and etc.
At most if you are going to change it, change it to a ukcat university but if your results aren't suiting for anywhere else apart from Brighton then the best bet is to apply to Brighton and get the bmat over and done with.

To be honest with that ukcat I would be looking at Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton to maximise your chances as they rank ukcat. I wouldn't bother with BMAT seeing as it is an amazing ukcat, (top decile!!) and Liverpool are quite personal statement heavy, all you have to meet is the cut off which was 625 last year, then your personal statement is assessed, they don't rank ukcat. Exeter is good if your predictions are A*s, ideally you need to be in top tier. Plymouth you will be fine, their cut off is much lower than yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Cardiff is really GCSE heavy

Oh ok thanks!! Is st.georges ukcat heavy as well? Thanks x
Hi everyone,

I got a UKCAT average of 950, 16 A* GCSEs, 13 A Levels all at A**, I've spent the past 12 years as a neurology consultant and have been to the moon.

Do you think I'll have any chance of getting into medical school?

Thnx.
Original post by GavinJR
I like you.

I like you too, Gavin!

Apparently the ability to use google to find out what universities are UKCAT heavy, and to decide which universities to apply for by themselves seems to be lost with some. I'll happily help people out with genuine queries, but asking questions that they should be the sole decider of doesn't make much sense in my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by finchley_grove
Hi everyone,

I got a UKCAT average of 950, 16 A* GCSEs, 13 A Levels all at A**, I've spent the past 12 years as a neurology consultant and have been to the moon.

Thnx.

This post cheered me up. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crystalni
Hi guys!

I have a UKCAT of 2080 (693 average), Band 1 and 9A* 3A at GCSE. My predictions are A*A*A*A*
Apart from Manchester and Barts, I'm still very conflicted about which other 2 to apply to... Does anybody have any suggestions based on my UKCAT and GCSEs?

Thank you in advance!:smile:

Cardiff (if you have A* in sciences, maths, english language), Birmingham, hull york, leicester, notts(if your PS is good), St georges

By the way are u retaking exams? All then universities accept retakes so I was just wondering
Hi everyone,

Thnx.

I am really sorry to say, but you have no chance :frown: don't worry I'm here for you though, I will support you. Just want you to know that :smile: You only got 16 A*s when theres like 50 possible subjects?!?!? I feel sorry for you. And you've only been to the moon once?!?!? Ive been like 5 times. My conclusion is that you are a LONG way off :frown:
Original post by Orangeflower6
To be honest with that ukcat I would be looking at Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton to maximise your chances as they rank ukcat. I wouldn't bother with BMAT seeing as it is an amazing ukcat, (top decile!!) and Liverpool are quite personal statement heavy, all you have to meet is the cut off which was 625 last year, then your personal statement is assessed, they don't rank ukcat. Exeter is good if your predictions are A*s, ideally you need to be in top tier. Plymouth you will be fine, their cut off is much lower than yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since I'm resitting (A*AB) I can only apply to those medical schools accepting resits. These are UEA (I got a C in my dropped AS so can't apply), Bristol (70% weighting on PS and only accept 1 resit in 1 subject), Liverpool, Plymouth, Brighton and Sussex and Exeter. I want to play to my strengths which are my GCSEs (7 A*s and 4 As) and my UKCAT score.

Plymouth places a 50% weighting on the UKCAt and 50% on GCSEs
Exeter has a minimum threshold for the UKCAT and tiers according to grades, I'm getting an A* prediction from my tutor so I'll have A*A*A putting me in tier 2.

My biggest worry is that I don't get any offers at all for Medicine or Chem Eng at Birmingham. Ugh I'm torn. I don't want to risk screwing up my BMAT and not getting a chance of an interview. Right now I'm just working on my PS to make sure it's really strong
Hi all, need a little bit of advice please,
I have a 653 UKcat, 1A* , 6A's 3b's as my best gcse. ( at the same time I have played sport to a high standard, Training daily for last 7 years). Predictions are 3A's. What do you think my chances are of getting in to medicine and which uni's should I be applying to ?

I have to send application off this weekend. Please any ideas would be a great help
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by YouHaveProblems
By the way are u retaking exams? All then universities accept retakes so I was just wondering

Yeah I'm resitting Biology (A*AB). Those are the only universities were I'm eligible to apply
Original post by Mathsmad123
I am really sorry to say, but you have no chance :frown: don't worry I'm here for you though, I will support you. Just want you to know that :smile: You only got 16 A*s when theres like 50 possible subjects?!?!? I feel sorry for you. And you've only been to the moon once?!?!? Ive been like 5 times. My conclusion is that you are a LONG way off :frown:

Pharmacy it is then.
UEA says this concerning A level resits on their FAQ:

A level resits will only be considered if a minimum of ABB or A*A*C was achieved in the first sitting.

But also on their website it states:

A level resits will be considered if a minimum of ABB was obtained at first sitting, plus a fourth AS at grade B.

Is the B necessary or not? should I just email yet again
Pharmacy it is then.

There's a part of me that thinks some people saying 'I have 750 UKCAT and 4A*'s at A level but are not sure where to apply are just looking for a ego boost. They can't be that stupid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pharmacy it is then.

No sorry its maccies with those stats. Maybe if you are lucky you could be a store manager!!
UEA says this concerning A level resits on their FAQ:

A level resits will only be considered if a minimum of ABB or A*A*C was achieved in the first sitting.

But also on their website it states:

A level resits will be considered if a minimum of ABB was obtained at first sitting, plus a fourth AS at grade B.

Is the B necessary or not? should I just email yet again

Call them. You have 7 days before the submission date. Don't fanny about with emails. I spent a whole morning googling and phoning loads of different admissions teams at different unis, and wrote down all the info I could get before making a decision on where to apply. You don't have long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamCW
Call them. You have 7 days before the submission date. Don't fanny about with emails. I spent a whole morning googling and phoning loads of different admissions teams at different unis, and wrote down all the info I could get before making a decision on where to apply. You don't have long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I'll do it first thing on Monday morning. If they don't require the B then the next thing I'm doing is calling up my old school to withdraw my BMAT exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending