Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I really don't understand why you guys want to keep Corbyn. Don't you care about ever being in government?
    Tories can't keep the centre ground for ever, my priority is to push for a Labour leadership to represent me and my views. Eagle and Smith represent Tory-lite that to me is unacceptable in Labour leadership. I'm open to a unity candidate, but we haven't got one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Tories can't keep the centre ground for ever.
    Not one bit true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Not one bit true

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm very sceptical that with austerity likely to continue, even if it can be blamed on Brexit, that they can also retain the public. If Corbyn stays, so far I can understand May gaining votes. But when people realise that the Govt will be very similar I think they'll be convinced. The cabinet seems further right wing than before, they can't cut forever without repercussions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I'm very sceptical that with austerity likely to continue, even if it can be blamed on Brexit, that they can also retain the public. If Corbyn stays, so far I can understand May gaining votes. But when people realise that the Govt will be very similar I think they'll be convinced. The cabinet seems further right wing than before, they can't cut forever without repercussions.
    Not doing something is different to it being impossible. At this time May is seen positively in terms of likely to be a good PM, especially compared to Corbyn and Eagle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok, heres a serious question:

How does the Labour Party plan to counter social justice extremism and cultural marxism in the west? How does the Labour Party intend to adress false tolerance? (i.e tolerating the hatred of Jews, Homosexuals and western values by some muslims).

Thank you for the answer, regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    ...cultural marxism in the west?...
    **** off.

You're obviously some right-wing dolt who has an ingrained anti-left rhetoric which is obviously impeding your common sense. 'Cultural Marxism' is just some excrement right-wingers spew to try and show their disdain for the gradual erosion of their outdated traditions and opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    **** off.

You're obviously some right-wing dolt who has an ingrained anti-left rhetoric which is obviously impeding your common sense. 'Cultural Marxism' is just some excrement right-wingers spew to try and show their disdain for the gradual erosion of their outdated traditions and opinions.
    Absolute classic. I expected nothing less. The fact that you state "proletarian revolution" and "Bernie Sanders" as your orientation is absolute gold. You literally did all the work for me. I dont even have to make anything up.

Im a centrist, not a right winger.

Then again, your avatar is waving a soviet flag, so theres all the credibility going out the window. May as well be waving a Nazi flag, very little difference.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute classic. I expected nothing less.
    Well go on then, tell me about the existence of Cultural Marxism in the West.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute classic. I expected nothing less. The fact that you state "proletarian revolution" and "Bernie Sanders" as your orientation is absolute gold. You literally did all the work for me. I dont even have to make anything up.

Im a centrist, not a right winger.

Then again, your avatar is waving a soviet flag, so theres all the credibility going out the window. May as well be waving a Nazi flag, very little difference.
    They are joke things I put in my profile. I do not support a proletarian revolution. Nor am I a Communist. My profile pic is just there for comedic effect.

ReputationRep:
    Go on then, tell me about your wikipedia definition of "cultural marxism". Your **** doesnt work with me you ignorant goose.

I strongly suggest opening your ****ing eyes instead of repeating the meaningless ******** rhetoric someone forced down your throat. Educate yourself, read books, learn about politics, learn about history.

You might enlighten yourself by accident.

PS: Any serious answers to my question by people who's mental age is not 10? Thank you in advance.

Regards.

I see you negated my request for you to define cultural Marxism. I studied History and Politics so I am well informed thank you. I also studied Sociology so I am aware of this field.

CM is a term used in the 70s or 80s (forgive me can't quite remember), it's a term used to describe Marxists who transitioned from an almost Althusserian structural approach of Marxism to an ethnographic and anthropomorphic analyses of cultural practices.

Many people use it as a conspiracy theory that leftists are trying to bring about the collapse of society by using progressive thoughts and encouraging multi-cultural ideology.

ReputationRep:
    I studied History and Politics so I am well informed thank you. I also studied Sociology so I am aware of this field.
    And what did you get? A fail?

When I talk about cultural marxism I mean 3rd wave feminism, identity politics and affirmative action. I dont support racism, bigotry or sexism, which is why am against the ideologies and policies mentioned above.

Furthermore, I suppose you do realise that so-called progressivism has been hi-jacked by left-wing extremists within the last 5 years? Thats why liberals and moderate left-wingers invented the term regressivism ---- very fitting indeed.

Regressivism can refer to left wing and right wing policies. Any ideology that damages and "regresses" society can be labled by this cynical term.

Right wing regressivism = Religious fanatics, extreme conservatives, anti science rhetoric.

Left Wing regressivism = 3rd wave feminism, identity politics, affirmative action.

Did that clear it up? Good.

ReputationRep:
    And what did you get? A fail?

When I talk about cultural marxism I mean 3rd wave feminism, identity politics and affirmative action. I dont support racism, bigotry or sexism, which is why am against the ideologies and policies mentioned above.

Furthermore, I suppose you do realise that so-called progressivism has been hi-jacked by left-wing extremists within the last 5 years? Thats why liberals and moderate left-wingers invented the term regressivism ---- very fitting indeed.

Regressivism can refer to left wing and right wing policies. Any ideology that damages and "regresses" society can be labled by this cynical term.

Right wing regressivism = Religious fanatics, extreme conservatives, anti science rhetoric.

Left Wing regressivism = 3rd wave feminism, identity politics, affirmative action.

Did that clear it up? Good.
    Fair enough, I thought you meant the Frankfurt School conspiracy.

What exactly are you saying about 3w Feminism? Yay or nay?

I for one am against gender-only shortlists, positive discrimination blah blah. If you are right for a job you'll get it, as evidenced by Theresa May for example and by the fact Labour have never had a full-time female leader.

I'm well aware of what regressivism is. I would agree that the things you have labelled under LW regressivism are indeed regressive.

Not quite sure about progressivism being highjacked by LW-extremists, care to provide examples?

ReputationRep:
    X
    I've very much enjoyed reading your posts in this thread and I hope you do stick around and educate other indoctrinated soggy biscuits as well.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure about progressivism being highjacked by LW-extremists, care to provide examples?
    The movement of progressivism has incorporated the ideologies that I mentioned in my last post to a large extent. (Affirmative action etc. etc.) When I say the "movement" I mean important figures as well as its followers.

If you can believe it, I've been a TYT (YouTube channel) viewer for quite a while, but they have gone absolutely insane during the last 3-4 years. This has reached a point where many liberal YouTubers have made videos exposing TYT rhetorical failures, double standards and contradictions. Im saying this because TYT is considered a major hotspot for progressives. I must give them massive credit however for seperating the moderate left wingers and the classical progressives from the "regressives" and the looneys.

Am I for 3rd wave bigoted, sexist, racist feminism? No way! Am I for absolute equality of men and women? Absolutely. But there is still a long way to equality, especialy because of the special treatment that women still recieve in western countries.

Theres a pretty intersting political test on the internet, I did it 2 or 3 times in the past and got 0,0.25 (coordinates) deviation from the center of the spectrum. Its not truely scientific, but its the most accurate one currently.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test/

Spoiler:
    Show
    Might want to consider not starting conversations with "F off" next time around. Manners and all....

ReputationRep:
    Ok, heres a serious question:

How does the Labour Party plan to counter social justice extremism and cultural marxism in the west? How does the Labour Party intend to adress false tolerance? (i.e tolerating the hatred of Jews, Homosexuals and western values by some muslims).

Thank you for the answer, regards.
    Personally, I do not believe there is any need to counter "social justice extremism" or "cultural marxism". Sure, some people do express extreme views which I disagree with vehmently, but that is their right: it is better to allow an idiot to speak publicly so everyone can realise their stupidity than shut them up and make them think they're right

That being said, when it extends away from simply having unpopular opinions to actively discriminating against people, and engaging in harrassment, abuse or assault, it clearly cannot be tolerated: as much as people have a right to their own opinions, others also have a right to feel safe in their own streets, communities and country. I do think we've been overly leniant on hate preachers and others seeking to make people feel as though they're unwelcome here: whilst I respect the need to ensure human rights are protected before engaging in deportation, it should in the mean time have been possible to demand they cease their activies with an ASBO-style order or should that fail charge and imprison them here. This goes equally for Muslim hate preachers demanding the killing of homosexuals, and white supremacists who've trespassed on private property to intimidate staff and customers. We urgently need a pragmatic approach that balances free speech, and with that even the right to hold opinions we deem incredibly racist, abusive or offensive, with appropriate action against those intent on causing misery to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Personally, I do not believe there is any need to counter "social justice extremism" or "cultural marxism". Sure, some people do express extreme views which I disagree with vehmently, but that is their right: it is better to allow an idiot to speak publicly so everyone can realise their stupidity than shut them up and make them think they're right

That being said, when it extends away from simply having unpopular opinions to actively discriminating against people, and engaging in harrassment, abuse or assault, it clearly cannot be tolerated: as much as people have a right to their own opinions, others also have a right to feel safe in their own streets, communities and country. I do think we've been overly leniant on hate preachers and others seeking to make people feel as though they're unwelcome here: whilst I respect the need to ensure human rights are protected before engaging in deportation, it should in the mean time have been possible to demand they cease their activies with an ASBO-style order or should that fail charge and imprison them here. This goes equally for Muslim hate preachers demanding the killing of homosexuals, and white supremacists who've trespassed on private property to intimidate staff and customers. We urgently need a pragmatic approach that balances free speech, and with that even the right to hold opinions we deem incredibly racist, abusive or offensive, with appropriate action against those intent on causing misery to others.
    Thanks for the polite reply first of all.

I agree with the vast majority of what you said, but the problem is that this is simply not case. We are actually facing the problem where unpopular oppinions are being censored, deleted and punished in every day situations and in social media (Twitter for example).

People have been punished for absolutely arbitrary things. Often times these "offences" are so meaningless that they cannot be persecuted by law makers and yet these people are being harassed and doxxed to the point where they lose their jobs or worse.

We are also in a time where an increasing number of politicians want to change and expand laws to make it easier to persecute people who who they think say offensive things.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the polite reply first of all.

I agree with the vast majority of what you said, but the problem is that this is simply not case. We are actually facing the problem where unpopular oppinions are being censored, deleted and punished in every day situations and in social media (Twitter for example).

People have been punished for absolutely arbitrary things. Often times these "offences" are so meaningless that they cannot be persecuted by law makers and yet these people are being harassed and doxxed to the point where they lose their jobs or worse.

We are also in a time where an increasing number of politicians want to change and expand laws to make it easier to persecute people who who they think say offensive things.
    You're very welcome

Yes, I agree - we do need change. Right now we allow people to publicly intimidate others with often no action at all, but prosecute over social media posts: it's ridiculous. At the end of the day, every reputable social network allows users to be blocked completely: for me, this means it should be much harder to prosecute for offences comitted on there. Of course that are some cases which absolutely need dealing with, such as high-profile figures (especially female ones) receiving direct and personal threats of murder or rape, but the idea that merely having an offensive opinion you express online which nobody has to read if they don't want to can land you in prison is ridiculous. Whilst I also think that employers should have more leniant policies regarding social media posts by their workers, it isn't something I believe the government should regulate - especially as there is normally the option to simply keep such posts private from your employers or any non-approved person.

On a related note, I also think we need to re-consider our laws on libel and similar: they are simply not suitable for the 21st century with our globalised methods of communication. Regrettable as it is, it is pointless to demand British media not publish details about the private lives of celebreties that can be easily accessed online via foreign media sources, and then prosecute people for daring to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    The movement of progressivism has incorporated the ideologies that I mentioned in my last post to a large extent. (Affirmative action etc. etc.) When I say the "movement" I mean important figures as well as its followers.

If you can believe it, I've been a TYT (YouTube channel) viewer for quite a while, but they have gone absolutely insane during the last 3-4 years. This has reached a point where many liberal YouTubers have made videos exposing TYT rhetorical failures, double standards and contradictions. Im saying this because TYT is considered a major hotspot for progressives. I must give them massive credit however for seperating the moderate left wingers and the classical progressives from the "regressives" and the looneys.

Am I for 3rd wave bigoted, sexist, racist feminism? No way! Am I for absolute equality of men and women? Absolutely. But there is still a long way to equality, especialy because of the special treatment that women still recieve in western countries.

Theres a pretty intersting political test on the internet, I did it 2 or 3 times in the past and got 0,0.25 (coordinates) deviation from the center of the spectrum. Its not truely scientific, but its the most accurate one currently.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test/
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Might want to consider not starting conversations with "F off" next time around. Manners and all....
    I wouldn't say progressivism has entirely been hijacked by the left with the aforementioned policies. Blair's New Labour government thought they were being progressive with AA and Pos Discrimination and he's not hard-left at all.

I agree that Youtube is definietly a spot for extreme-progressives. Reading the comments kills my brain cells some times.

I agree on the 3rd point, there is almost this view that women being preffered over men is not sexist and that sexism against males is this non-existent thing so they have to suck it up.

I've taken that test many times and always get this result... (sorry just screenshotted a google image, the red circle bottom left) I'm always skeptical about tests like these those, my result seems to make me look like an extreme raving Commie, which I am not.

Apologies, I retract those words.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I studied History and Politics so I am well informed thank you. I also studied Sociology so I am aware of this field.

Big man here with some A levels in subjects where the teachers give their opinion and dismiss the others!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Big man here with some A levels in subjects where the teachers give their opinion and dismiss the others!
    Not true actually, my teachers were very objective. My classes always had a mix of political views.

Sociologists and Sociology teachers do tend to be left-wing than not, but it's not only left-wing ideology that is spoken about. Politics doesen't tend to come into History A-level much also to be honest/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.