Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    life only gets harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Na this was back in sixth form. Don't wanna do Medicine any more.

Yeah not enough graduate roles. You just need to accentuate your strengths and disguise your weaknesses.

I feel you here as well. It's annoying going to university for 3 years getting a degree and finding out you're not good enough for a graduate job and have to go entry level, just makes university absolutely pointless.

When is the Civil Service Stream deadline?
    3rd Nov.

And yeah, it is becoming a real distinct possibility that I am going to be working a job (and stuck in one) that means I cannot ever afford to buy a house and start a family if I want to. I live with a Liverpool grad in his 30's, he is a ticket seller in a theatre. The right breaks just did not happen for him. Academically he was very able, but I think a lot of it is to do with fate, luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I've always found mental maths really easy, not too sure what the cause is for that. We had a test like that for this job I went for, most people were frantically using their calculators but most things I could work out in my head. I always found other areas of Maths like trig, algebra & vectors incredibly difficult which is probably what put me off studying the subject further.
    Yeah, same as me, find the numerical reasoning straightforward, whilst the other tests have needed more practice.

(Original post by Eboracum)
    Thanks for your kind words SR90!

Yes. It's interesting because I remember you saying you found the Numerical Reasoning tests easy, which I found astonishing, as I find them really really hard. Even my friend who is on for a 1st Economics at LSE fails the Maths tests. So you must be a pretty strong candidate!

Yes the SJT are hard. Earlier on I did one, one of the questions had five responses and they were all good, it seemed very difficult when you are putting something like "Confidence, approach the task in a calm and orderly manner" as the least effective response!

Well done on getting your job man. You see, I worked for a bit before uni, and found it hard to give that up to go to uni, but I really wanted to go, so I did. Anyway, now I've got it in my head that I want to be Eboracum BA MA, I feel as though I should do a Masters now, as if I get on the right grad scheme I'll never leave, and well, a Masters is for life.

Aldi looks insane. 41k and a company car. Someone from my uni got on it last year. I'd be happy to do it. So many great grad schemes out there. We had a huge JP Morgan event on campus today (so much for the people on here that think only London unis are "target" ones) and it seemed interesting, but I don't think banking is for me, I'd favour business/energy/oil/pharmaceuticals something like that!

Ah, a Historian! Awesome subject, I did History at A Level. I'm a politician, I do BA Politics now, my offer is for MA International Relations. So happy with that. They were my first choice at undergrad but rejected me, so I'm happy to have the offer. I've applied to UCL as well, waiting to hear from them, so will see what happens!
    Yeah, I prefer the numerical testing greatly and find it straightforward compared to verbal and other tests imo. I wonder how much you can progress in an Aldi/Lidl role, I.e. Is there maximum level/salary ceiling. Obviously, the salary leads to it being very competitive even their normal store jobs are quite competitive working as a store/stock assistant gives a decent salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    3rd Nov.

And yeah, it is becoming a real distinct possibility that I am going to be working a job (and stuck in one) that means I cannot ever afford to buy a house and start a family if I want to. I live with a Liverpool grad in his 30's, he is a ticket seller in a theatre. The right breaks just did not happen for him. Academically he was very able, but I think a lot of it is to do with fate, luck.
    That really is not great news for me but I could understand how that can happen relatively easily to anyone especially in the last couple of years. I am 23 now and I can see it is going to take a long while to be able to save for a deposit, let alone a house tbh. How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    That really is not great news for me but I could understand how that can happen relatively easily to anyone especially in the last couple of years. I am 23 now and I can see it is going to take a long while to be able to save for a deposit, let alone a house tbh. How old are you?
    I am 23 too. I had a graduate job as a contractor for a bank, but that did not work out. Life gets hard after graduation when you are selling labour. Graduates are just a resource really for the titans, we're not really needed too much in the current day. So we are finding it a lot tougher than previous generations imo. Another guy I am mates with, he's a chef in his 40's and he said even the holidays back when he was my age were longer. They used to go for two weeks and even more. Music was great and he thinks that even the girls were better in those days because they were less fat and arrogant about their educations. He is adamant that people were happier back in the 80's and 90's, a lot of things have changed (and not all for the better).

It's all tied into the economic freedom of the individual really. Because we individually have little money as graduates (even though our parents may be financially comfortable) it really impacts on our social prospects. Economically, we are the ****ed generation. We are left with a lot of mess.

ReputationRep:
    I am 23 too. I had a graduate job as a contractor for a bank, but that did not work out. Life gets hard after graduation when you are selling labour. Graduates are just a resource really for the titans, we're not really needed too much in the current day. So we are finding it a lot tougher than previous generations imo. Another guy I am mates with, he's a chef in his 40's and he said even the holidays back when he was my age were longer. They used to go for two weeks and even more. Music was great and he thinks that even the girls were better in those days because they were less fat and arrogant about their educations. He is adamant that people were happier back in the 80's and 90's, a lot of things have changed (and not all for the better).

It's all tied into the economic freedom of the individual really. Because we individually have little money as graduates (even though our parents may be financially comfortable) it really impacts on our social prospects. Economically, we are the ****ed generation. We are left with a lot of mess.
    Yeah, I totally agree with that. I think the key is relevant experience and how you can use it to sell yourself in interviews as your grades will be similar to thousands of others and this can help to differentiate yourself. I got to say that timing and luck is quite important in your search as you can get the right opportunities if you are lucky.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Stress man, you lot are all talking about grad schemes n jobs and here I am helping out my friend with his UCAS application lol
    Haha I just helped one of my friends with writing her personal statement. Kept saying to her that I wish I could go back to a time when that was the most I had to worry about!

ReputationRep:

We are so so ****ed as a generation. Talk about a generation paying for its fore fathers mistakes. The amount of graduates like myself in dead end jobs at the moment because there is such a lack of choice and options open to us after graduating. I know people with PHDs working in call centres ffs.

ReputationRep:
    You guys need to stop moaning bout the economy and just get your fingers out your ass and start somewhere. Anywhere basic and work your way up in life through hard work. to say lifes difficult now for grads is a load of bs, the issue nowadays is that young adults have everythng laid onto a plate for them up until uni, and after that they open their eyes and see that the world isn't as easy as how it was when they were growing up.

if you cant even get a job youve got no one to blame but yourself. if you had the opportunity to go to uni you definitely have the opportunity to work. stop blaming things around you for your own failure.

brb UCL econ graduate
    brb recruited into RBS in final year uni
    brb on the path to becoming an investment banker in london
    brb awaiting exponential rise in salary

TLDR; problem nowadays is everyone wants to mint money but not work hard for it. just cos they went to uni they expect the rest of their life to be handed on a plate for them smfh

ReputationRep:
    Hope I got some Indian uncle in the city somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parano!d)
    You guys need to stop moaning bout the economy and just get your fingers out your ass and start somewhere. Anywhere basic and work your way up in life through hard work. to say lifes difficult now for grads is a load of bs, the issue nowadays is that young adults have everythng laid onto a plate for them up until uni, and after that they open their eyes and see that the world isn't as easy as how it was when they were growing up.

if you cant even get a job youve got no one to blame but yourself. if you had the opportunity to go to uni you definitely have the opportunity to work. stop blaming things around you for your own failure.

brb UCL econ graduate

TLDR; problem nowadays is everyone wants to mint money but not work hard for it. just cos they went to uni they expect the rest of their life to be handed on a plate for them smfh
    Sorry but a load of codswallop. The reality is its who you know and what you know.

Got a really **** guy on my course who got his placement at Goldmann despite being terrible all round.

Brb dad is partner
    Brb used contacts
    Brb secured son £37k placement

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosingDogs)
    Sorry but a load of codswallop. The reality is its who you know and what you know.

Got a really **** guy on my course who got his placement at Goldmann despite being terrible all round.

Brb dad is partner
    Brb used contacts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was just about to post this. Many people (not just a select few) are handed jobs on a silver platter. Had a distinctly average grad from my course and he is now working on a top barrister's chambers in London. His uncle was the master of the rolls. Another guy's father was high up in the automotive industry, got a top role at Allen & Overy via contacts. Again, distinctly average.

ReputationRep:
    Was just about to post this. Many people (not just a select few) are handed jobs on a silver platter. Had a distinctly average grad from my course and he is now working on a top barrister's chambers in London. His uncle was the master of the rolls. Another guy's father was high up in the automotive industry, got a top role at Allen & Overy via contacts. Again, distinctly average.
    Always happens mate. I'm not saying it's wrong or right (if I was them would exploit the same loophole) but it's frankly laughable for people to claim a level playing field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parano!d)

brb UCL econ graduate

Interesting.

I agree with you. I am sorting my life out tbh. May not be going into the most professional of jobs but it's a good pay. Work hard play hard environment.

40k in a year if I work hard enough here and goes up even more, stressful lifestyle though. There's another job that is entry level pay but potentially goes up to 40k in under a year which is very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosingDogs)

Brb dad is partner
    Brb used contacts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Couldn't agree more - the hard truth is that no matter how good you are, an employer is going to pick the guy he knows over you.
    But it happens everywhere; I'm sure me or you would do exactly the same thing.

I ain't bothered about it when it's just a part time job in retail for instance, but a grad scheme can be the beginning of a career that totally shapes somebody's life.
    I'm not at all saying you have to know somebody to get a job but depressingly most of the time, it's better to have contacts than knowledge...

ReputationRep:
    Will employers respect me more if I am 100% honest in my application? I want to complete that one application where I don't give a **** and tell it as it is.

Why us?
    Money mother****er.

ReputationRep:
    Brb person who has opportunity handed to them is *****ing about others who don't

Strong irony/10
    Bait taken/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wrt the contacts thing, you guys get yourself down to London for networking events and you suck ****, hairy fat white middle class D I C K.

I've seen people do it in front of my own eyes. It's events like that which can make your life dreams come true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shady's back)
    Wrt the contacts thing, you guys get yourself down to London for networking events and you suck ****, hairy fat white middle class D I C K.

I've seen people do it in front of my own eyes. It's events like that which can make your life dreams come true.
    That ain't in me

ReputationRep:
    Investment banking is boring anyway, I honestly don't want that life. 17 hour days? No thanks.

I'm going to be rich, but not at the expense of not playing 5 a side each week, or raising my children. You'll say 'do it for 2-3 years then get out of there' but life aint like that lol, burned bridges in those 2-3 years can't be recovered so easily.

Big tings in the accountancy firms and consulting is what you want to be doing

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.