Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    You say fluked, yet you provided multiple other examples of our glorious failures. I'm not deluded, I realize that, by all logic, we would get dominated by Bayern. My point is that it has happened before, and as seen against Porto, could happen again. Arsenal is a team that is awful under pressure (although getting better), and almost unplayable when there is no pressure (seen by our yearly end-of-season runs, and our glorious failures).

Finally, don't say we 'fluked a victory' away at Bayern, then use a game where Monaco beat us away as an example of how awful we are. By your logic, Monaco fluked a victory against us, so that point is meaningless.
    But Monaco and a Milan team that were pretty dismal in Europe are not comparable to a Bayern team that went on to win the competition as part of a spell of dominating Europe. Therefore I'll maintain that it was a fluke result.

No, because Monaco and Arsenal are comparable teams in European competition. Get that stick out of your arse. You have literally no evidence to suggest that you're a better team in European competition than them. So them beating you away from home isn't a fluke, it's a rival beating a rival.

End point: yes, it is completely ridiculous to suggest that Arsenal could've/would've beat Bayern this year.

ReputationRep:
    You say fluked, yet you provided multiple other examples of our glorious failures. I'm not deluded, I realize that, by all logic, we would get dominated by Bayern. My point is that it has happened before, and as seen against Porto, could happen again. Arsenal is a team that is awful under pressure (although getting better), and almost unplayable when there is no pressure (seen by our yearly end-of-season runs, and our glorious failures).

Finally, don't say we 'fluked a victory' away at Bayern, then use a game where Monaco beat us away as an example of how awful we are. By your logic, Monaco fluked a victory against us, so that point is meaningless.
    It's really not? Monaco beat you away 3-1 in a tie where EVERYTHING was to play for, whereas you beat Bayern away in a game realistically they knew they were never gonna lose 3-0 (which is what you had to win by), so you can't compare them at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    End point: yes, it is completely ridiculous to suggest that Arsenal could've/would've beat Bayern this year.
    'Would've', I agree, but 'could've'? Was it ridiculous to suggest Porto could've beaten Bayern?

ReputationRep:
    'Would've', I agree, but 'could've'? Was it ridiculous to suggest Porto could've beaten Bayern?
    Tbh with 'could've' I'll concede and say I shouldn't have added that in, when I actually meant 'would've'. Depends on how you interpret 'could'. There's lots of unlikely 'could've's in football that come true, and that's why we watch it.

But it's such a low chance that it's not really worth thinking about; an Arsenal-Bayern two legged tie is a foregone conclusion in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh with 'could've' I'll concede and say I shouldn't have added that in, when I actually meant 'would've'.

There's lots of 'could've's in football that come true, and that's why we watch it.
    Cheers for conceding that, and in that case, I fully agree with what you've said.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for conceding that, and in that case, I fully agree with what you've said.
    I edited, and I didn't say 'could've' through the discussion, so irdk how you agree...

ReputationRep:
    I edited, and I didn't say 'could've' through the discussion, so irdk how you agree...
    I agree that, based on logic alone, no-one can say Arsenal 'would've' beaten Bayern (different to 'could've', which you then said you shouldn't have included).

ReputationRep:
    I agree that, based on logic alone, no-one can say Arsenal 'would've' beaten Bayern (different to 'could've', which you then said you shouldn't have included).
    fair enough, repped

TSR is too anal on wording etc, I'm as guilty as the next guy tbh. Depleted was dropping bait and I knew it but lost track of it after a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    You talk about Cazorla, Monreal but you have to remember that was only because of Malaga's financial crisis. Giroud is looking like a good deal now but he isn't a world class striker to really replace RVP. Ox was a good signing but Man Utd was also in for him it wasn't really something where Wenger spotted him. Gabriel I can't comment on him as I haven't seen enough yet.

I think some of the signings made this season were not that smart. Alexis, Debuchy, Ospina are ok but Chambers and Welbeck were not good signings imo. Chambers as a RB is probably worse than Bellerin, Jenkinson and Debuchy so what's the point of him? People might say that he's one for the future but that's just speculation. Welbeck was a complete waste of money there were better strikers available but Wenger had no intention of actually buying one he just signed him because Giroud got injured. Look at Vietto he only cost 5.5m and is having a great season at Villareal also he's only 21.

Also with the issue of Coquelin. He only brought him back because of long term injuries to Arteta, Flamini, Wilshere etc. He never rated him otherwise why did he send him out on loan to a mid table championship club like Charlton?
    Welbeck is a quality big game player though, just never thought he could actually turn into a decent finisher. Our best player against Real Madrid/Bayern.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, repped

TSR is too anal on wording etc, I'm as guilty as the next guy tbh. Depleted was dropping bait and I knew it but lost track of it after a while
    Yeah after a while, everyone just gets a bit pedantic. Oh well, it's all sorted now, no worries.

ReputationRep:
    Can see Reus going to Arsenal tbh. Sanchez- Ozil - Reus would give you a great chance in UCL next year.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take Reus but I can't see it happening, United will offer him ridiculous wages and he'll end up on the sidelines with injury for months on end. Brilliant player but it'd cost a lot to get him, possibly too much when there are other areas still in need of strengthening.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    I'd take Reus but I can't see it happening, United will offer him ridiculous wages and he'll end up on the sidelines with injury for months on end. Brilliant player but it'd cost a lot to get him, possibly too much when there are other areas still in need of strengthening.
    Reus isn't going to England at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm gradually getting more hyped for Saturday, especially now I know the final is the day after my last uni exam

ReputationRep:
    Think I was more hyped about last year

ReputationRep:
    FA Cup is one of those trophies it's good to win but you're not too dissapointed if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    FA Cup is one of those trophies it's good to win but you're not too dissapointed if you don't.
    There's no hype about ending the draught either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    There's no hype about ending the draught either
    True. 3 trophies in 2 years is a good return though.

ReputationRep:
    If we dont win the Cup the season will have been a failure

No reason not to either and last year just made me thirstier tbh. When I was growing up hardly a season would go by without a trophy parade, and often doubles, so nice to get back into the habit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah essentially there was no excuse for not having a title bid this year, especially after the situation we were in after last season.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.