Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel No Ways)
    Wonder if we can criticise Klopp for this season's league performance. We had 12 points, and were 6 off the league leaders after 8 games when he was appointed. Now we're 22 off, and a game behind, with 46 points in 28 games. That's barely 1.5 a game, let alone the 2 per game we should be aiming at. Second place are going to finish with 73 or less this year, the tally for fourth will be 69 at most. Pretty grim.

The most important aspect of a league position is whether it brings CL football or not. Reputation, high quality football, money and allure to top players all count as consequences of that. If we can win the final then obviously our league position is rendered irrelevant but despite the severe mitigating factors at play, you can't say Klopp has done much more than a par job in the league.

inb4 responses about cups and positive effect on club, all of which I know and understand, and make me glad that we have one of the three best coaches in the world as our manager.
    I'd say yes and no. The reality is that you can't look at league position in isolation when we've reached 2 cup finals which will have impacted us in the league. Throw in how many injuries we had and the fact that Klopp has had no input on this squad, it all points towards mitigating factors for our final position.

That said, Klopp has now had plenty of time in the league/with the squad. If he had joined at the start of the summer, I think we would've been criticising him by Xmas if we had a similar league position/points. Also looks like it will be 68-69 points to finish 4th and we'll still be at least 6 points off the pace. Could've been better but if we win the EL then no one will care. Everyone will expect Klopp to hit the ground running next season though.

(Original post by mr tim)
    Jose Enrique has left Liverpool early according to Joyce.
    To carry on his instagram career full time? I guess there's no point in him hanging around for a month or two doing nothing and using the facilities
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Neil Jones reporting that Enrique has been told he's no longer needed at Melwood, and he's said his goodbyes.

Unsure about the Express' headline, though.

"Liverpool star leaves club..."
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Next year's home kit

Name:  CiCKQXtWsAEswK-.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  75.8 KB
    Name:  CiCKQ7CW0AAyX0x.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  CiCKRanXIAALRa1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  79.3 KB
    Name:  CiCKRf0XAAA0zIg.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  93.9 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Still leagues off from the Adidas kits that we had during Dalglish's reign.

Ffs why is it so hard to not see that..!>
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's red.

ReputationRep:
    Do not know why I am posting here but my predictions for 1016-2017 without any exceptional new players

TOP 3 (not in order)
    Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool

NEXT 3 (not in order)
    ManU, ManC, Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Do not know why I am posting here but my predictions for 1016-2017 without any exceptional new players

TOP 3 (not in order)
    Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool

NEXT 3 (not in order)
    ManU, ManC, Chelsea
    That's quite a long season....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    That's quite a long season....
    lol
    Accident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    It's red.
    This, only with yellow trim/logos instead of white, wouldn't buy it personally.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Makes a nice change having gold rather than white tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Saw the kit when it was leaked, looks fine though I think white trim suits us better than the gold trim on this kit.
    Can't imagine Mignolet's kit flying off the shelves, looks like one of the default designs you'd get when creating a new team on FIFA/PES or for the teams who weren't good enough to have their official GK kit available in the game. Still it's different to the templates of Nike, Puma and Adidas that just copy and paste onto every one of their clubs whereas NB try and mix it up for different teams (albeit with very mixed results). This season's were the best overall that we'd had for some time, liked all of them and the goalkeeper kit design was nice as well.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462833375.013467.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462833382.849893.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  77.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462833375.013467.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462833382.849893.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  77.9 KB
    Damn that is nuts. I guess they have the last game of the season (which is away from home) against Athletic Bilbao but won't be easy and they will probably rest players.

They would be the only Spanish side in La Liga this season to not win an away game - everyone else already has at least one win.

They've only won one away tie in the EL too having drawn 2 and lost the other one.

ReputationRep:
    Their shocking away form shouldn't have too much bearing on the final as it is a neutral venue and we haven't exactly been great away from home in Europe bar the Dortmund game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Their shocking away form shouldn't have too much bearing on the final as it is a neutral venue and we haven't exactly been great away from home in Europe bar the Dortmund game.
    Being neutral must still count as being away though?

Agreed though - it's a final which is at best have only 10k of each fan and too many people who have no affiliation so it won't feel like an away atmosphere either. Can't ignore the fact that they've won the final the last 2 years and reached their 3rd final either. I still think we go in as favourites.

ReputationRep:
    You'd imagine the whole qualifying for CL/qualifying for EL/no Europe will impact the size of the squad we decide on for next season. Considering how relentless the schedule can be, especially with replays/progressing in cup competitions, I can't see how Klopp (with such an aggressive demand on players) can go into next season without a squad of 20-25+ players.

GKs: [new keeper], Mignolet, Ward/3rd choice if he goes on loan
    Fullbacks: Clyne, [new back-up RB], Moreno, [new defensive LB], Flanagan
    CBs: Matip, Lovren, Sakho*, [new promising CB?]/Toure
    CM: [new CM], Can, Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Gurjic
    Attacking: Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Milner, Markovic. [new winger]
    ST: [new striker], Sturridge, Origi, Ings

Would that get us there?

I think Ward is already lined up to go on loan to a Championship side?
    I think we could do with having 5 fullbacks for 2 positions since Klopp wants them to get up and down the pitch so much. An attacking RB and defensive LB would help compliment the balance to the squad without costing an arm and a leg imo.
    Sakho and that situation will hugely depend on how long his ban is for. Perhaps we should go for an experience CB if Toure isn't going to get an extension since we may need to rely on that player until Sakho is able to return. I doubt a youngster will get much game time so would probably stagnate too. Lucas can cover there which is nice but I'd rather have more cover than less..
    Not sure if that midfield will look anything like that next season - Henderson may get sold if his injury is too serious whereas Allen and Lucas could both leave with only have 1 year left on their respective contracts. Hard to justify giving them new 4-5 year deals too.

ReputationRep:
    Really Can and Milner are the only midfielders that are dead certain to stay next season. I think a winger is needed though.

Also Jordon Ibe, where does his future lie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Really Can and Milner are the only midfielders that are dead certain to stay next season. I think a winger is needed though.

Yea agreed but the other trio could still do a job for us. We're going to need numbers..

Crazy to think that Ibe already has over 50 appearances for us. He started great under Klopp but now seems to have regressed a lot this season. I don't think he's close to our first XI and even someone like Ojo must be ahead of him now without considering Markovic's return and any other purchases we make. He's not been good enough for us this season.

That said, he's still only 20 so I don't see the point in selling this summer. I'd send him out on loan for a year to see if he can get his confidence and game back.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)

Away from Anfield - at least for the foreseeable.

The lad is shot of confidence. He needs somewhere where he can play week in, week out. He needs to be one of the best four or five players in a side, rather than the worst.

He seems to be overthinking things right now, and I'd look to offload him for a season and re-assess this time next season.

I'm not writing him off yet, but I struggle to see where he'll get the game time next season to improve and further his game.

For instance if it was a choice between Ibe and Markovic, I'd definitely opt for the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Markovic's reputation has really grown in his absence.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.