Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I still plan to go to university in the UK...

This referendum has made me loose my trust in the English people to make sound political decisions...
    And you can't go to a UK university while living abroad? Oh, wait, yes you can.

And if the objective is to be in your dictatorship, Scotland is not the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    TORY LEADERSHIP LATEST
    Running: Boris, May, Morgan, Crabb, Freeman
    Probably: Fox, Leadsom
    Possibly: Hunt
    Probably Not: Osborne, Javid

So surprises the missing man has been shifted to probably not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It's lovely picture, it must be said.

I think he's someone a nation could get behind. But I don't think a bloody coup is what the party needs right now. I support Corbyn's continued leadership.
    I'm rather fond of it, Tony Benn was a very handsome man in his youth.

As for the Party and it's leadership. I think historically he would have made a good leader, I just am not so sure he is what the party needs now. But I fully agree that at this time of uncertainty and tory divide the last thing we need is a coup

(Original post by Aph)
    I don't support him on Iraq but he is about as left as corbyn and actually a rather good debater. He probably come across as a more establishment option though...
    As a third or fourth generation MP who's father was a cabinet minister while he was growing up I don't think you get more Westminister establishment. As for policy position, I think he is more right wing than you think, certainly not right wing, but to the right of Corbyn, especially on foreign policy and I think will be seen, wrongly, as a continuation of the new labour project, a Blairite supporter and my mind went blank sorry. But I think you get my message.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And you can't go to a UK university while living abroad? Oh, wait, yes you can.

And if the objective is to be in your dictatorship, Scotland is not the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course you can but you have to meet citizenship requirements which I couldn't do whist living in the UK to go to uni unless I crossed the channel every day...

I don't want a dictatorship but I also don't believe in pure democracy.

ReputationRep:
    TORY LEADERSHIP LATEST

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I want boris and then trump to become president, the reaction to that would be brilliant.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Of course you can but you have to meet citizenship requirements which I couldn't do whist living in the UK to go to uni unless I crossed the channel every day...

I don't want a dictatorship but I also don't believe in pure democracy.
    Or you do your degree then go to somewhere in the EU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Or you do your degree then go to somewhere in the EU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Won't have freedoms of movement so will be harder and expencive because I want to do. PhD
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Won't have freedoms of movement so will be harder and expencive because I want to do. PhD
    I suppose they won't let you in with that spelling, doesn't matter whether you have what they want...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well that's the second time Wales have taken Northern Ireland out of Europe in the last 48 hours. #WALNIR

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Random fact: Britain has never had a Welsh-born PM. Even Lloyd George was born in Manchester. Interestingly the two Welsh MPs arguably best placed to become PM any time soon, Stephen Crabb and Owen Smith, were also born outside Wales.

That said, the Telegraph are suggesting Kinnock Jr to stand if Corbyn gets knifed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    When the indies failed to secure Scottish Independence they all went off to vote SNP. Now that Brexit has won there's no more reason to vote UKIP, so hopefully they'll fade away and vanish.
    Much depends on the settlement that we secure from Europe and whether the parties align themselves with the electorate. Right now, that's more likely to be a problem for Labour than the Tories.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Much depends on the settlement that we secure from Europe and whether the parties align themselves with the electorate. Right now, that's more likely to be a problem for Labour than the Tories.
    And the lib dems have decided to ignore the dem bit of their name and ignore the electorate, or at least they would if they had any say on anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Scottish independence poll:
    Yes: 52% (+5)
    No: 48% (-5)
    (via Panelbase / 24 - 25 Jun)
    Chgs. from 28 Apr.

Even with emotions running high it would be close, let things simmer down and the SNP just **** themselves in the foot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Benn sacked from the shadow cabinet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Benn sacked from the shadow cabinet.
    Looks like a ballot then with him running against Corbyn. Benn would not commit suicide to do nothing.

ReputationRep:
    TORY LEADERSHIP LATEST

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My preference would have to be May, Morgan or Crabb from there.

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dems are saying if there is a general election then they will run on a platform of rejecting the referendum and staying in the EU. I think it would see their vote share grow, gaining back some of the young voters they have lost, however for many more it will increase the perception that they are power hungry and can't be trusted. Either way they should have kept their mouths shut until an election had actually been called, coming out with that now will only decrease the chances that Boris or whoever will call an election.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I think they will only grow, one of the major parties in Iceland I think it is are called the Independence Party, despite Independence having been won around a hundred years ago
    Unrelated, but interestingly the Pirate Party are currently leading the polls in Iceland for their upcoming election.

But yea, UKIP will stay around as the anti-immigration pressure group. They'll never win a large number of seats but they'll keep the other parties wary about their immigration policies.

ReputationRep:
    I mean I knew I disliked Farron and haven't liked the Lib Dems since Kennedy stepped down but this just puts me right off them, I would have considered them my protest vote party in the past, but Clegg and Farron have pushed me completely away
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I mean I knew I disliked Farron and haven't liked the Lib Dems since Kennedy stepped down but this just puts me right off them, I would have considered them my protest vote party in the past, but Clegg and Farron have pushed me completely away
    For what reason, out of interest? Wanting to not leave the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    For what reason, out of interest? Wanting to not leave the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically, Farron has always rubbed me the wrong way and I think Lamb was the better contender for your leadership, however I can't see this announcement of a policy to bring back into the EU as anything more than blatant undemocratic opportunism

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.