Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    I just picked a city I really wanted to live and work in once I'm qualified, because obviously it gives you a chance to get to know an area and get an idea of schools etc. I didn't really want to do a PGCE and then move again for NQT. I don't really understand people who talk about going to certain universities for the 'name' because it's fairly irrelevant with teacher training. Then as the OP said you get a feel for the place from the way they interview you]
    Ditto. I'd not spent much time (literally two days) in my chosen city, but I knew it ticked all my boxes. Big city, lots to do, well connected to London but far enough from my home town in the South East to be independent, relatively cheap housing and the possibility to buy here some day on a teacher's salary.

Then I came up for my interview and totally fell in love. I was wandering around before my interview going "meh, it's not that great. You don't want it that much" to try and undo how invested I'd become!

The interviewers were so nice and friendly, even when I forgot to breathe during my presentation and probably worried them that I was going to pass out from nerves! And they got back to me so quickly (literally less than an hour after the interview) which just made me like them even more.

I didn't even look at league tables (do they even exist for PGCE?). My undergraduate uni (UCL) regularly scores among the best in the world and it still lacked in a lot of ways pastorally so I know league tables don't paint the whole picture. On a stressful and intense course like the PGCE, I'd put more stock in pastoral than academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    Ditto. I'd not spent much time (literally two days) in my chosen city, but I knew it ticked all my boxes. Big city, lots to do, well connected to London but far enough from my home town in the South East to be independent, relatively cheap housing and the possibility to buy here some day on a teacher's salary.

Then I came up for my interview and totally fell in love. I was wandering around before my interview going "meh, it's not that great. You don't want it that much" to try and undo how invested I'd become!

The interviewers were so nice and friendly, even when I forgot to breathe during my presentation and probably worried them that I was going to pass out from nerves! And they got back to me so quickly (literally less than an hour after the interview) which just made me like them even more.

I didn't even look at league tables (do they even exist for PGCE?). My undergraduate uni (UCL) regularly scores among the best in the world and it still lacked in a lot of ways pastorally so I know league tables don't paint the whole picture. On a stressful and intense course like the PGCE, I'd put more stock in pastoral than academic.
    Haha same. I had been to York on a day trip and fell in love! It was the only place I wanted to apply to because it was just so perfect for me. My second visit was my interview day 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thats why I like the collegiate system. I was at Loughborough university before transferring to Durham and the collegiate system has a profound effect on the pastoral side as your college in essence a miniature university with the pastoral side included.

ReputationRep:
    It is all starting to feel very real now. My timetable was due to be released tomorrow, but was already up last night. I am so happy with my hours

My husband's timetable is also excellent.

Everything seems to be falling into place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    It is all starting to feel very real now. My timetable was due to be released tomorrow, but was already up last night. I am so happy with my hours

My husband's timetable is also excellent.

Everything seems to be falling into place.
    Are you both doing pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The nervous have really started to set in now, after months of waiting and excitement I finally start my PGCE next week. I've still got some worries about my subject knowledge (RE) but I'm sure it'll all work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    Are you both doing pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He is going into the 2nd year of a maths degree. Same uni but completely different campus. I had been worrying about childcare, but with these hours it will all work out fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightonPPE93)
    The nervous have really started to set in now, after months of waiting and excitement I finally start my PGCE next week. I've still got some worries about my subject knowledge (RE) but I'm sure it'll all work out.
    I'm nervous too! I start on Thursday so only a few days to wait.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like there's a few of us doing RE this year!
    Nerves are definitely kicking in, but pretty excited to get going as well.

ReputationRep:
    You'll always know more than they do!

ReputationRep:
    My main worry this time last year was subject knowledge (I was R.E. also), but in the end it turns out it was one of my main strengths! Don't panic too much about it. Just read up before a lesson and remember there will ALWAYS be things you don't know. If I can blag it with absolutely no R.E. qualifications then anyone can.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone here open or convert to a student account for the PGCE? I've been reading mixed things about whether the PGCE counts or if it has to be a two year course.

I've currently got a natwest graduate account and was hoping I'd be able to convert back to a student one for the overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    QUESTION IF IS PROBABLY A DUMB ONE HAHA

Starting my PGCE, next week!

I want to know: Are the PGCE assignment questions (that you are given) based around YOUR subject - or is it based around EDUCATION as a WHOLE?

(I know it is a dumb question.......................)

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone here open or convert to a student account for the PGCE? I've been reading mixed things about whether the PGCE counts or if it has to be a two year course.

I've currently got a natwest graduate account and was hoping I'd be able to convert back to a student one for the overdraft.
    I had a postgraduate account with Santander for my PGCE. I don't know if Natwest so an equivalent.

(Original post by xjay1234)

I want to know: Are the PGCE assignment questions (that you are given) based around YOUR subject - or is it based around EDUCATION as a WHOLE?

Mine were all based around education as a whole, but for some of them you'd be expected to be specific to your subject. For example, I had one on literacy across the curriculum which meant I focused on literacy in R.E. rather than generally. Other things like AfL and learning theory were more general.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks =]

Helps!

My subject tutor emailed me talking about some Drama books to buy for future assignments (my subject Drama).

That is why I asked.

Anyway thanks!

I am scared but excited!

(Original post by Airfairy)
    I had a postgraduate account with Santander for my PGCE. I don't know if Natwest so an equivalent.

Mine were all based around education as a whole, but for some of them you'd be expected to be specific to your subject. For example, I had one on literacy across the curriculum which meant I focused on literacy in R.E. rather than generally. Other things like AfL and learning theory were more general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I had a postgraduate account with Santander for my PGCE. I don't know if Natwest so an equivalent
    Thanks ☺ I was tempted by santander but they only have a £1500 OD compared to my £2000 at natwest. I'm not using it all, it's just nice to have as big a cushion as possible! I'll check them out if Natwest aren't helpful ☺

ReputationRep:

I was with NatWest and they wrote to me saying they were switching me to grad. I went in and told them I was actually carrying on studying for a year, and they extended the student one for a year I'd take a letter in case they ask for proof.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had my 1st day today at my placement school. Such an inspirational speaker at the inset day.
    Here is my blog about it.

https://pleasecanitalk.wordpress.com/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xjay1234)

I had 2. One was very subject oriented, discussing a misconception prevalent in Physics. The other was more general, dealing with the wider curriculum (real-world context, collaborative learning, social issues etc.) in the context of mathematics (I did Physics with Mathematics). In both case I used general teaching and learning theories, as well as those developed specifically for science/maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I had 2. One was very subject oriented, discussing a misconception prevalent in Physics. The other was more general, dealing with the wider curriculum (real-world context, collaborative learning, social issues etc.) in the context of mathematics (I did Physics with Mathematics). In both case I used general teaching and learning theories, as well as those developed specifically for science/maths.
    I have just read my PGCE Drama Handbook - the assignments are linked to my subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.