The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My first post in this thread :smile: I'm an enormous Whovian and there is only one thing I want to say...

Bring Back Tennant.

That is all and then my life will be complete :biggrin:
Who do you think was a better Doctor? Not who you prefer in reality but the one who you think played the role the best? :smile:

Also, Russell T Davies or Steven Moffat? Who's the better writer? :smile:

I'm not telling you my preferences, I'm just interested in seeing who most people on here prefer :wink:
Russell T Davies hands down. Steven Moffat is good, but I think the stories have been getting a bit...'silly' since Davies left.

Although I'm in a minority I think, I really like Matt Smith. Don't get me wrong, David Tennant played his version of the doctor amazingly well, but Matt also plays his version very well.
Reply 7303
I loved David Tennant as the Doctor - I also love Matt Smith but personally, Tennant will always be my favourite :tongue: I can't really comment on the writing as I haven't really watched the most recent episodes but from what I've heard there's been no shortage of twists.
Matt Smith has done a good job of the Doctor, there's no denying that, and he's a good actor, but David Tennant will always be the Doctor to me :')

In terms of the writing I will always prefer RTD. I liked Moffat's one off episodes when RTD was head writer, but when he took over entirely, I've begun to enjoy the show less. I think there are too many complex storylines (albeit done very cleverly) and Moffat seems to forget that Doctor Who is, first and foremost, a children's show and it's probably a bit too confusing for them at times.

Bring back the good old monsters and one off storylines, I say! :smile:
David Tennant = <3
David Tennant, though I may be slightly biased...

:biggrin:
im not homo so i dont fancy either of them
Tennant, his suits were brilliant
Matt Smith because in my opinion he's more fun loving, whereas Tennant (especially in his later episodes) was always a bit depressed and mopey :colondollar:

But RTD was better writer. While I love some of Moffat's single episodes, I don't think he handled the series well as a whole, it didn't seem to have the Doctor Who essence. And tbh I wasn't really enthused by it.
Got to be Tennant and RTD. As followmeup says he'll always be the Doctor for me. I really liked Christopher Eccleston aswell. I just loved his facial expressions and didn't like Tennant at first when he regenerated but then he became legendary.

As DontWantYourBloodMoney says, Tennant's clothes were quality! Best dressed Doctor by a mile! :smile:
Tennant hands down.

I also prefer RTD. His storylines had a great balance between humour, action, adventure and darkness. Midnight is one of my favourite episodes (RTD written), however I was quite surprised to find out that Stephen Moffat wrote Silence in the Library, which is my other favourite episode.
Reply 7312
I think it was because with David Tennant we had gotten used to him for so long, we didn't have time really to get attached to Chris (although I do love him too). I also think that with David Tennant the episodes were more emotional, you had the family of blood (when he became John Smith and it was so sad ;n; and also the episodes like Blink and Midnight that were just so powerful without using so much computer technology).
I really thought that with David Tennant he added that unique character to the doctor, making him just so much more realistic.
Reply 7313
I was thinking, shouldn't David Tennant put the Olympic Torch into the thingy by the Stadium to mirror the 2nd series episode 'Fear Hear'.
Reply 7314
Original post by chernid
I was thinking, shouldn't David Tennant put the Olympic Torch into the thingy by the Stadium to mirror the 2nd series episode 'Fear Hear'.

Ah I just removed that episode from my memory, and now it's back!

:angry:

:wink:
Reply 7315
David Tennant
Matt Smith is a crap Doctor tbh, and the last series was dull as ****
I prefered Christopher Eccleston to be honest. The stories were darker while he had the lead role, which he fitted perfectly. So I'd also say that I prefered Davies when he was writing.
Reply 7317
Original post by CRHarrison
I prefered Christopher Eccleston to be honest. The stories were darker while he had the lead role, which he fitted perfectly. So I'd also say that I prefered Davies when he was writing.

The empty child was absolutely breath-takingly fantastic. I have never been so freaked out by a child in a gas mask before :eek:
I would say neither for the new series. Christopher Eccleston was the best, though he didn't last long.

Though the best overall was Jon Pertwee.

The quality that makes a writer good is if they can actually write. Robert Holmes and Terry Nation could do this in spades. Steven Moffatt and RTD . . . can't.
TENINCH is all I have to say on the 'who's the better doctor?' (aka 'who's fitter?') front.
And Russell T Davis, always. Moffat is a misogynist who couldn't write a decent female character if Buffy Summers herself was standing over him all muse-like. Seriously, he ruined the show for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending