Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
Pocket Calculator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vapid slut magician)
omg im so sick of finding myself mentioned in random threads. why do people feel the need to take the piss?
**** it. You're famous!
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi guys, sorry to bother you but I kind of need help with something. I'm writing my second novel and one of the characters in it is depressed. I don't want anything to have triggered his depression, I just want it to kind of 'be' since many states of depression are not caused by anything and I feel that for it to have a cause would just make it clichéed and insincere. I thought this character's chapter would be easy to write since I suffered with depression myself a few years ago (was never diagnosed, but all the signs point to yes). However, I'm finding it really difficult, mainly because I wanted anger to be a feature of this guy's depression, which wasn't a feature of mine, and so I wanted to see if anyone here really suffered with bouts of anger as part of their own depression/if anyone was willing to share said experiences with me (via PM if liked).
vapid slut magician
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just read the thread, there's pages of stuff
Angelil
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who's going to read 366 pages?
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
Who's going to read 366 pages?
someone who wants to write a novel with a depressed character in it?
Angelil
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
someone who wants to write a novel with a depressed character in it?
I have other things to do, funnily enough. I also work 23 hours a week and am teaching myself a language. How kind of you to assist me :rolleyes:
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
I have other things to do, funnily enough. I also work 23 hours a week and am teaching myself a language. How kind of you to assist me :rolleyes:
so? i don't see why you think people want to recount things they find upsetting and have already said on this thread just so you can exploit it for your own ends. this society is support for people with depression, not a resource for unimaginative writers. I apologise if other people don't feel the same way, but personally I think it's in bad taste to come here asking what you have and then to get uppity when I suggest you read what's already here.
QuantumTheory
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just to pop in and send a little :love: and just a few :hugs:s to you guys

:hugs:

Jess
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8g6m...eature=related

If it takes my whole life
I won't break, I won't bend
It will all be worth it
Worth it in the end
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know physical pain is different, but it kind of makes me realise what people will go through to get what they want and I try to apply that to my own problems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_O75...eature=related
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
feel so ****** today. really really need a job now. i hate living with this tension. it's horrible. i just want to escape
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)
feel so ****** today. really really need a job now. i hate living with this tension. it's horrible. i just want to escape
:console:
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
xvanilla_bubblesx
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ice_dragoness274)
aww that cheered me up ^_^

:hugs: back!

ahh, it's just that the whole problems that come with moving to a new school and finding it hard to settle in are beginning to hit me again :sadnod:

What makes it more unbearable is the fact things were way better for me (socially anyway) in my old school, it's just I was doing crap academically there which is why my parents decided i should move.....I just keep looking in the past, trying to actually face the present, and failing at it when I keep realizing how much things have changed for me now =/.....and I'm kind of stuck at this school now, coz it would be crazy if I move again (apparently it reduces uni application chances I've heard?!!?)

sorry about my rant! I hope it makes sense, I don't know if anyone else here has been in a similar situation...lol....so how are things in Oxford?! =)
I'm sure there are lots of people on here who've been through the same/similar thing!

It happens to lots of people at university too, so I can imagine what its like changing from a state to private school especially if they're as different as you're saying.
I guess just hang in there another year or so, and then you can go to sixth form college!
Angelil
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so? i don't see why you think people want to recount things they find upsetting and have already said on this thread just so you can exploit it for your own ends. this society is support for people with depression, not a resource for unimaginative writers. I apologise if other people don't feel the same way, but personally I think it's in bad taste to come here asking what you have and then to get uppity when I suggest you read what's already here.
I have a life outside the internet, funnily enough. We don't all have time to sit online reading for hours. I'm not forcing people to relate their experiences. Those who find it upsetting, rather than potentially therapeutic, don't have to volunteer (and, as it happens, three people HAVE already volunteered). I resent you calling me unimaginative - how would you feel if I just ploughed in there writing absolute nonsense about something I haven't experienced (by this I mean that I didn't really experience much anger as part of my own depression)? You wouldn't like it. Thank you, in any case, for giving me an example of irrational anger in the form of yourself.

If anyone else wants to help (with emphasis on the 'wants' to keep VSM happy) feel free to PM me.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
can someone help angelil crawl out of her own arse?
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)
what's up? go for a drive in your new car! always used to cheer me up!
Dreizhen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been reading personal statements for Computer Science and am feeling inferior again.
How am I ever going to get into any university, never mind Imperial? I haven't done half of what everyone else seems to have done.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dreizhen)
I've been reading personal statements for Computer Science and am feeling inferior again.
How am I ever going to get into any university, never mind Imperial? I haven't done half of what everyone else seems to have done.
as long as you get decent A-levels you'll be fine. people go way over board on extra curriculars that unis don't really care about. don't worry too much about it.
x.banana.x
Report 10 years ago
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the best place for me to post this, it might have been better in H&R :unsure:
basically I don't know if I'm depressed or not and thought you guys are going to ahve more experience and could maybe help me. I know that I should see my GP but it takes AGES to get appointments where I am and I don't want to make myself look silly. I'll just say a bit about myself:
I started self harming whne I was about 14 and did it a lot at the time, like every night and ddin't sleep until about 3AM. I couldn't cry - everythin used to build up inside of me until I cut then it all seemed to spill out. I felt down a lot at the time but nobody really noticed - I don't know if I would have been able to hide it so well if I was actually depressed?
Getting with my bf really helped get over the self harming and altho it felt like an addiction and was really hard to get out of to start with I now do it much much less. I still feel really self conscious about the scars on my arms though.
I recently had counselling for a different issue and didn't tell my counsellor about the self hard, and although I do it much less and am getting over it I feel somehow like I'm carrying the emotional baggage of having done it. I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense - it's like I can't let go (not in an attention seeking way btw, I would much rather be carefree). Whenevr I go to the dr's I get worried incase they spot the scars when doing blood pressure etc...
The past few months I've been feeling really odwn again and have had lots of trouble concentratng at 6th form. I can't seem to just snap out of it and get on with my work (which I really want to do). I am never in the mood for sex anymore - much to my bfs annoyance and he keeps bringing up that we might not be suited because he doesn't make me happy. How can I explain that nothing is making me happy right now? I cry a lot and find myself getting quite irritable. I can't really talk to my family about this as I get embarrassed and could NEVER tell them about the self harm I just feel so ashamed. I haven't had a bad life and have little reason to be indulging in so much self pity. As I sit here writing this I feel like it isn't me - I'm just being silly - as if I'm making myself feel down because I want to - when I don't want to.
It's like I can't let go. Some of the day I will be fine and laughin and joking wiht my friends. Even getting a bit hyper (not in a mania way - just being really happy and messin around) then when I get home or try and actually do something like work I get all down and lethargic. I am also really nervous, even shy when crossing a road and sometimes avoid it all together.
I'm just really confused with myself right now.

I'm sorry that post is so long, I understand if nobody wants to read all that and that you have your own problems to deal with. Again, sorry if this is the wrong place to post it but I did post a thread in H&R a while a go and didn't really get many useful replies. Thanks so much to anyone who does read this.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed