Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Day 2 of inset days at my placement school. Read my thoughts here...

https://pleasecanitalk.wordpress.com/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm..... one week into my Schools Direct, and I am coming down with a cold. Haven't had one for ever!

I'd heard about how easy it is to pick things up on placement, I just wasn't expecting it so soon!

ReputationRep:
    When did everyone find out if they have got a bursary?

ReputationRep:
    I have started

Had my induction day today, which was mainly being talked at and having booklets thrown at me all day. I'm so tired! I really didn't sleep well last night for fear of missing the alarm this morning. Tomorrow we are straight into subject groups and focusing on subject knowledge.

My main problem at the moment is having absolutely zero money! I'm not even sure I will have money for fuel and parking for Monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    I have started

Had my induction day today, which was mainly being talked at and having booklets thrown at me all day. I'm so tired! I really didn't sleep well last night for fear of missing the alarm this morning. Tomorrow we are straight into subject groups and focusing on subject knowledge.

My main problem at the moment is having absolutely zero money! I'm not even sure I will have money for fuel and parking for Monday
    It's rubbish the way finance works. We have a whole week on primary placement and a day in uni before we enrol officially and SF isn't triggered till we do that. Then it takes 3-5 days to be paid. So basically we get our loan 11 days after we start!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    It's rubbish the way finance works. We have a whole week on primary placement and a day in uni before we enrol officially and SF isn't triggered till we do that. Then it takes 3-5 days to be paid. So basically we get our loan 11 days after we start!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow! That is harsh.

I'm just completely skint after kitting out 4 kids with uniforms, shoes, bags, trainers... I am up to the limit on my overdraft and have also borrowed nearly £100 from family. There's no way I can ask for any more.

I will have to drive round on Monday and find a street to park down for free, and walk to uni from there.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first two days. I am starting to realise the extent of the paperwork that is involved, but it's fine, I will manage it somehow My subject tutor is really, really lovely and comes across as very supportive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    Wow! That is harsh.

I'm just completely skint after kitting out 4 kids with uniforms, shoes, bags, trainers... I am up to the limit on my overdraft and have also borrowed nearly £100 from family. There's no way I can ask for any more.

I will have to drive round on Monday and find a street to park down for free, and walk to uni from there.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first two days. I am starting to realise the extent of the paperwork that is involved, but it's fine, I will manage it somehow My subject tutor is really, really lovely and comes across as very supportive.
    Yeah school uniform is the killer! We moved for my PGCE so had to buy the lot from scratch 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neilcn)
    Hmmm..... one week into my Schools Direct, and I am coming down with a cold. Haven't had one for ever!

I'd heard about how easy it is to pick things up on placement, I just wasn't expecting it so soon!
    When i was on school direct last year i even got nits! Enjoy!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    only 11 days! We won't get to enrol at the university until September 18th, so won't get the money through until the week after. That's possibly 24 days after we've started! Thankfully I managed to save enough money to cope, but I know others on my course will struggle, and obviously others across the country, like people here. They should change the way it works for people on SD and other courses that start earlier.

(Original post by neilcn)

I got one yesterday (the second day I was on my course). I felt terrible by the evening, and I hadn't been anywhere near a child until today! The adults are just as germy as the kids! I've heard horror stories of people in Early Years getting worms?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    only 11 days! We won't get to enrol at the university until September 18th, so won't get the money through until the week after. That's possibly 24 days after we've started! Thankfully I managed to save enough money to cope, but I know others on my course will struggle, and obviously others across the country, like people here. They should change the way it works for people on SD and other courses that start earlier.

I got one yesterday (the second day I was on my course). I felt terrible by the evening, and I hadn't been anywhere near a child until today! The adults are just as germy as the kids! I've heard horror stories of people in Early Years getting worms?!
    That's appalling. If you are on SD you should be allowed a morning to go in and enrol. Luckily my husband is supporting me, but I don't know how some people are managing. Very poor organisation on the part of unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's appalling. If you are on SD you should be allowed a morning to go in and enrol. Luckily my husband is supporting me, but I don't know how some people are managing. Very poor organisation on the part of unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I absolutely agree, just because their PGCE students don't start until that week, doesn't mean the SD students should wait too. There are at least 5 people on my course that have school aged children, Plus more who have moved house or similar... something should be done, but I don't know what.

ReputationRep:
    I am in School Direct but my uni (liverpool hope) has us enrolling online. I did it in my lunch break today and it took 10 minutes.

With regards to catching things...it's perfectly possible. I have 20 years early years experience before starting mg EY PGCE and I have seen people catch everything!!!
    You need to establish really good hygiene practices with the children x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobble1987)
    When i was on school direct last year i even got nits! Enjoy!
    Use a tea tree oil shampoo or conditioner or spray and comb through a tea tree and water mix. Lots of past colleagues did this and managed to never get them even after years of working with little children. Apparently they don't like the smell (the nits, that is, not the children...).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Use a tea tree oil shampoo or conditioner or spray and comb through a tea tree and water mix. Lots of past colleagues did this and managed to never get them even after years of working with little children. Apparently they don't like the smell (the nits, that is, not the children...).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found this out post infestation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's good idea I'll check it out -we're spending the next three weeks at uni but it wouldn't hurt to 'be prepared'. The smell will possibly deter my husband though!

1.5 days to go... and I still haven't finished my pre-course essay!

ReputationRep:
    Hi every one!
    I need your help !!
    Do you have any information about gcse equivalent test ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gheena)
    Hi every one!
    I need your help !!
    Do you have any information about gcse equivalent test ?
    What do you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    I have finally enrolled on to my EYT course on saturday, bit of a pain as i travelled 2 hours to get there and i only was at the enrolment for only 5 min or so. I properly start the course on wednesday next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xjay1234)
    What do you need to know?
    I need to know any information about English test if you did it before ,can you give me any idea about your questions

ReputationRep:
    I havn't started yet but am wondering at what point in the PGCE are we expected to teach?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.