Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Help please!
    Do you have any information about gcse Equivelencey test.
    (Original post by xjay1234)
    I have just read my PGCE Drama Handbook - the assignments are linked to my subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    I havn't started yet but am wondering at what point in the PGCE are we expected to teach?
    Generally you will start with leading small groups and just taking small parts, building up to whole lessons and sessions. Exactly what the pace is depends on your provider, but when you get told it will seem really soon!! I think mine was about one week on for whole class elements. Don't panic though, everyone feels that and once you get doing it it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by S27)
    I havn't started yet but am wondering at what point in the PGCE are we expected to teach?
    As above: it depends massively on the provider, and the school you're placed at. I was there for 2 weeks, when I taught small and then large chunks of lessons. Then I took over my first class, and added another one or two per week until I'd reached my full timetable allocation. Everyone will feel like they need more time, and everyone's first lessons will be abysmal - although lots of people (myself included) don't recognise it at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an early years SD PGCE. My current placement is in reception at school A. My next one is also in reception at school B and my final one is Y1 at School A again.
    I hope to teach reception when I get a job.
    But would you request Y1 in School B because by my 3rd placement I will be teaching 80% of the time yet I will only have had reception exp up to then and it is a different curriculum?
    I would love to stick with reception but I'm torn about what is best for my professional development and career prospects!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineapple pie)
    I am doing an early years SD PGCE. My current placement is in reception at school A. My next one is also in reception at school B and my final one is Y1 at School A again.
    But would you request Y1 in School B because by my 3rd placement I will be teaching 80% of the time yet I will only have had reception exp up to then and it is a different curriculum?
    I would love to stick with reception but I'm torn about what is best for my professional development and career prospects!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's good to get a mixture. In reality, you can't guarantee that a reception job
    Will be the one you get and you will undoubtedly move through year groups when you do get a job. It's good to get broader experience as it won't seem so daunting then when you do for real on your own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineapple pie)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Career wise don't worry too much, my main placement was KS1 even though I preferred early years and went on to teach nursery. As long as you have one it will be fine.

It seems a little odd that you're going back to the same school with a different class though! But maybe that's just because my uni did wrap around placements so we returned to each one after the other. Personally I think this is a good way round to do it. It will let you get your head around the early years ethos and everyone I know has said it's easier going up in age. Early years IMO gives a great insight in to everything! Plus if you're in a good Y1 setting it will be very similar anyway.

Oh, also, because of how early years works you will still get a good experience of all the elements on a reduced timetable,which you might not with KS1. Aaaaand this way you get to experience early years in two different schools so you get a broader view to allow you to develop your ideas more... If you switched it, you'd only see how one school did reception.

So in summary I think it's good how it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to start the teaching. I'm observing a year 4 class this week and thinking "I could do some of this".

Although I'm well aware that there's all kinds of things the teachers are doing to keep things smooth that I'm not even registering, and I'll be eating my words when I start placement!

I'm looking forward to being taught how to teach. I'm quite confident on subject knowledge, but definitely need a lot of advice on how to actually teach it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gheena)
    I need to know any information about English test if you did it before ,can you give me any idea about your questions
    http://www.equivalencytesting.com/ these are the people you need to book with for GCSE English equivalency test for PGCE.

Look at the ESTABLISHMENTS FOR WHOM WE TEST cos they are the places that accept equivalency tests.

ReputationRep:
    I have survived the week!

It turns out that the books I bought before the course were not needed; and the ones I really need I haven't got. There will always be someone who beats you to the last available copy in the library; and electronic resources (esp core reading) will inevitably crash on the night before M-level lecture. Hence Amazon is making a fortune from desperate trainee teachers like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hana&feather)
    I have survived the week!

It turns out that the books I bought before the course were not needed; and the ones I really need I haven't got. There will always be someone who beats you to the last available copy in the library; and electronic resources (esp core reading) will inevitably crash on the night before M-level lecture. Hence Amazon is making a fortune from desperate trainee teachers like me.
    You can always sell some of the ones you don't need if you don't like them. Amazon does a reasonable buy back for some textbooks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hate the Professional Studies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reflective Practice bla bla bla!

We are ALL reflecting! We are trainees! ¬_¬

ReputationRep:

I share your pain. My professional studies was a weekly 9am lecture.

ReputationRep:

Make the most of it.

You won't get very much time to reflect or link your practice to theory/the big picture or even think about what you're doing once you're actually teaching. It's vital that you reflect well, and it can be so incredibly helpful to be around others who are doing the same and discuss this with them.

ReputationRep:
    Falling in love with a fellow PGCE student - (MY DAMN EMOTIONS @ THE WRONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Was our last PS session, today =D
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Make the most of it.

You won't get very much time to reflect or link your practice to theory/the big picture or even think about what you're doing once you're actually teaching. It's vital that you reflect well, and it can be so incredibly helpful to be around others who are doing the same and discuss this with them.

ReputationRep:
    Was our last PS session, today =D
    That's crazy!! We had them all through the year. You need something to reflect on, and time to reflect continuously! That's a strange set up, I can see why you didn't enjoy it.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Falling in love with a fellow PGCE student - (MY DAMN EMOTIONS @ THE WRONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Won't do you any harm. I married one of mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    That's crazy!! We had them all through the year. You need something to reflect on, and time to reflect continuously! That's a strange set up, I can see why you didn't enjoy it.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We are in the HUB school in a few weeks - cos we will be in our school placement FT but PS will continue after x-mas (don't worry we have been crammed with reflection etc etc etc)

ReputationRep:
    AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

Well - I need to stay focused.....but, hard, especially when they're in your class.....

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Won't do you any harm. I married one of mine.

ReputationRep:
    AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

Well - I need to stay focused.....but, hard, especially when they're in your class.....
    We did our teaching practice in adjacent classrooms.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.