Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
After Season 1, I always said David Tennant and RTD were superior and I always got rage neggd. I'm glad after Season 2 people finally agree with me.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jmj)
I actually prefer Matt Smith. I think Matt Smith is much more alien- can you ever imagine David Tenant asking for a fez or pretending a jammy dodger is a blow up button for the TARDIS? David Tenant was a fantastic actor and thought his portrayal of the Doctor was excellent- but I think I just prefer Matt Smith's style. I think I also prefer Stephen Moffat as a writer, although RTD is good too
No. And those specific examples are examples of 'Doctor Who' going silly and why the majority prefer DT.
Order 66
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Matt and Moffat.
OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I prefer RTD as a writer and like matt and david equally as the Doctor.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Russell T Davies and David Tennant.

I like Matt Smith a lot (and more than I expected to) but Tennant will always be my Doctor and I think Davies helped make him the best Doctor ever (in my view). Moffat's episodes recently have been a bit bleurgh so I guess in that sense, Matt Smith has been very successful to still make Doctor Who enjoyable. With a weaker actor and equally weak plotlines, I would probably have lost interest.
JKGB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tennant and RTD.

I think that Moffat is better at writing when he's got longer episodes to write, his Sherlock episodes and the two-parters of Doctor Who he's written have all been brilliant, yet some of the shorter ones he's written sometimes feel a bit rushed, I would absolutely love it if RTD came back to write the shorter episodes and Moffat writes the two-parters.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CRHarrison)
When the first episode of the new series started I didn't quite believe the saying about hinding behind the sofa. But after The Empty Child, I now do.

Never has such an innocent a word as 'mummy' ever been so scary.
I went on a WWII school trip a few days after that episode. You could spot the Doctor Who fans a mile off because they were all terrified by the gas masks on display.
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Miracle Day)
No. And those specific examples are examples of 'Doctor Who' going silly and why the majority prefer DT.
Sorry? I thought this was a thread about people posting different opinions? Okay so the majority think DT is better that's fine, I love DT too- but I thought the whole point of this thread was to have both points of view? It'd be boring if everyone liked the same things and didn't have any other opinions, so why'd you dismiss my opinion just because it is different from yours, especially since this thread welcomed both views?
Just wondering
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jmj)
Sorry? I thought this was a thread about people posting different opinions? Okay so the majority think DT is better that's fine, I love DT too- but I thought the whole point of this thread was to have both points of view? It'd be boring if everyone liked the same things and didn't have any other opinions, so why'd you dismiss my opinion just because it is different from yours, especially since this thread welcomed both views?
Just wondering
But you can see why those examples are silly right?
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But you can see why those examples are silly right?
As in they're silly to use or Matt Smith being silly? They are examples of Matt Smith being a bit sillier as the Doctor, but I think that's what makes Matt Smith so brilliant it makes him much more an alien, and his quirky goofiness has I think put Doctor Who back into the emphasis of being a sci-fi show with drama rather than the shift I think DT had of it being drama with sci-fi. Yeah there were aliens and yeah he had a time space machine, but I think in DT's era that was almost a background to the relationship plotlines.
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh I'm not sure which to choose overall.

David Tennant was an amazing actor and really gave the Doctor an emotional value which obviously helped an enormous amount in engrossing me in the storylines.

But I personally think that Matt Smith is just as good an actor but has a completely different style. Albeit controversial, I actually think that Matt Smith portrays the Doctor's personality in a style which seems more befitting. I've always thought that the Doctor would be someone who's completely erratic and barmy and it's nice to have a break from constant emotional turmoil.

Although, Matt Smith has definitely come off worse in terms of plot lines. With Moffat there seems to be some amazing underlying convoluted 'wow-factor' plot; but it means that every other episode that doesn't directly relate to that plot seems to be a bit like poorly planned 'filler'.

On an unrelated note, I absolutely adore Alex Kingston's portrayal of River Song! :awesome:
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Matt Smith and Moffat. RTD made Tennant a charachter from Eastenders. If he wasn't following Billie Piper around like a puppy, which for a time lord is basically beastiality, he was either gnashing his teeth or apologising. I half expected Tennants episodes to end with the typical eastenders drumroll.

On the other hand Smith has managed to create his own Doctor, different from Tennant yet you know its still the same guy. He bring comedy to the role which Tennant didn't.

Also, this:

And this:
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
Matt Smith and Moffat. RTD made Tennant a charachter from Eastenders. If he wasn't following Billie Piper around like a puppy, which for a time lord is basically beastiality, he was either gnashing his teeth or apologising. I half expected Tennants episodes to end with the typical eastenders drumroll.

On the other hand Smith has managed to create his own Doctor, different from Tennant yet you know its still the same guy. He bring comedy to the role which Tennant didn't.

Also, this:

And this:
Really? I don't think I've laughed once.. I think I laughed more when the 10th Doctor put on that gask mask as a joke and said "are you my mummy"
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really? I don't think I've laughed once.. I think I laughed more when the 10th Doctor put on that gask mask as a joke and said "are you my mummy"
I suppose the comedy aspect of each actor is down to personal preference. I just think Smith is a better actor for the role of the doctor.
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tenant and Davies
animalnitrate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Both David Tennant's and Matt Smith's first series' were quite good but apart from that they were both awful.

I think I prefer Russell T Davies' writing to Steven Moffat's, I know I definitely prefer RTD on a more "personal" level.
CRHarrison
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by taeace)
The darker ones are the best tbh, they have a better story line and just seem more epic. If it's just a useless monster and bad effects it makes it worse ;~;
Ugh, yeah! I hated Love & Monsters. I know it was supposed to be a happy, heart warming episode, but the creature effects and the smushy story were so cringe inducing I don't think I made it through the whole hour!

(Original post by Rascacielos)
I went on a WWII school trip a few days after that episode. You could spot the Doctor Who fans a mile off because they were all terrified by the gas masks on display.
Hehe! I have got to get one of those gas masks. Halloween this year would be sorted.
taeace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CRHarrison)
Ugh, yeah! I hated Love & Monsters. I know it was supposed to be a happy, heart warming episode, but the creature effects and the smushy story were so cringe inducing I don't think I made it through the whole hour!.
Oh my gosh I know what you mean ;~; It was sort of cute, but the ending... her being in a pavement slab and those two trying to still be together ;A;
And the monster was a bit weird too, I was more grossed out ;a;
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought early Tennant was the best but Matt Smith is more consistent. As for the writers, I'd prefer Moffat if he started living up to the episodes he wrote during the RTD era but overall it has to be RTD sadly.
taeace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And this whole story with River Song... I am seriously confused.
I have gotten slightly used to Matt Smith now.. but I don't know, the Christmas episode was just mediocre in my opinion.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (139)
38.29%
No - but I will (20)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.16%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (178)
49.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed