Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got 4A's and 4B's and 1 Distinction* im so happy are these gcses okay if I applied in the science field like dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are there any like mark converters so we know what our raw mark was for each exam board?

ReputationRep:
    who beat 5 A*s?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by benwalters1996)
    Do you guys think these results would be decent enough for Medical school? (Bristol/Oxford standard). Also, which A-levels would you suggest from these grades? (i plan on having maths in there somewhere, possibly further too). finally, do you think these are good enough for Oxford in general?

A*’s:
    -Physics
    -Biology

A’s:
    -Chemistry
    -Mathematics
    -Electronics
    -History
    -English Language
    -English Literature
    -Philosophy and Ethics
    -Core Science

Distinction *’s at A-level:
    -IT(Qcf) BTEC Level 3

Distinctions at GCSE:
    -DiDA ICT Level 2
    Yup, they're fine for medical school. Have a look here to see specific requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements

Congrats!

Regarding A-Levels, I suggest you do chemistry and biology and then two other subjects that you enjoy. Be a bit wary of Further Maths though - some medical schools don't consider maths and further maths as separate subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked that I got my A* in additional science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYcitygirl)
    Are there any like mark converters so we know what our raw mark was for each exam board?
    There is one for AQA, http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums
    OCR has a pdf here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/128198-...nuary-2013.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsn0b0dy)
    Oh my gosh! Wow! Congratulations x

i only managed 8 a*s and 3 as but I'm getting 2 remarks because I'm 1 ums off an A*
    ONLY??? That's amazing congratulations Honestly they are great results and i'm sure the remarks will do you justice xxx

and thank you
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by NYcitygirl)
    AQA have one: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

As do Edexcel: http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/studen...our-marks.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandaman7771)
    If it was in the Sciences for are example, which are out of 100 ums, you would have achieved the most 'points' possible, but not necessarily full marks, as the boundaries fluctuate heavily. All the module scores are then added up to formulate your mark out of 400, 360 being the A* boundary, 320 the A and so on.

Hope that helps.
    Ohhh thank you so much:-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennaK)
    This is the link I found, although it is slightly confusing as it doesn't add up the total for you.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2013.PDF
    Ah thanks, I'll try figure it out somehow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    10 A*s 4As and 1 B. shocked!

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone explain to me what the picture means. Thanks.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I dont know whether to be happy or annoyed i got

A* in Maths
    A in Physics (3 marks of an A* )
    A in History
    A in Application of maths
    A in Methods of maths
    A in English Literature
    A in Chemistry
    B English Language
    C spanish
    C humanities
    Distinction* in Business
    Pass in IT

I thought i would at least get 3A* but at least i got the grades for my A levels in Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Maths

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the grade boundaries for OCR maths unit c?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    for the triple sciences, in terms of easiest to hardest does it go Unit 1, Unit 2 and Unit 3, because i got full ums on two of my unit 3 tests and full ums in unit 2 biology, and i only got 90 in unit 1 sciences

ReputationRep:
    4A*s, 3As 3B's and a Certificate were the results, not exactly best case scenario but I'm soooo happy

2 of the A*s was an ICT BTEC and 2 of the B's were separate BTECs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did spanish gcse and i am only yr 9 and got A*. I was shocked I got 298/300. For year 10 I have to deal with many CAs, core science and astronomy. Fingers crossed. Btw I hope your all happy with your results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToLiveInADream)
    Wow, you've done loads! I've only finished stats and i'm finishing maths in november. Well done What's the Higher Project?
    It's a shorter version of the EPQ pretty much, you do a 2500 word essay or artefact and write about the process. I wrote the essay 'How has modern technology affected the English language?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Nooo way. Maths and physics are definitely not necessary for medical school. The only medical school in the UK that requires one of them is Cambridge - everywhere else only requires biology and chemistry, and then are happy to see you do whatever you want. We've got a detailed summary of A-level entry requirements here!
    Although maths isn't an entry requirement they are advised to take it due to the sheer competition of medical school. Alot of students will be taking bio, chem, maths then a subject of there choice. And will be at an advantage to those who take bio chem and 2 irrelevant subjects.
    Besides maths is almost certainly needed for the chemistry course, very few students go on to do well without maths.
    And if you're a student who thinks maths isnt for you then I don't think chemistry is either tbh, in my June exam about 20 marks + (a whole grade) was through calculations.
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Connorbwfc)
    Please can someone explain to me what the picture means. Thanks.
    You scored an A* overall in stats by the looks of it. You scored an A* in unit 1 and a B in unit 2, but your overall grade was an A*.

Nice one!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.