Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Legit excited to see Diaby on the bench for Saturday :awesome:

Good to also see that Szczesny will be starting against Reading, Wenger's been really tough on him (rightly so). Honestly didn't think he'll be out this long.
    “Diaby won’t be in the squad against Reading,” said the Frenchman. “He’s not completely ready for this kind of game.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...arsene-5527320
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Have you ever said anything positive on this thread...or on tsr at all?

It matters in respect to starting strong next season and what we can do with a fully fit squad. It showed last season when we finished the 2012-2013 campaign strongly leading to us starting last season very strong
    Arsenal had a very easy run of games to start that season though. The first 12-14 games couldn't have been any more generous. It always seems to be the way with Arsenal that they either seem to **** up at the start and finish strongly or start strongly and **** up at the end.

My concern if I were an Arsenal fan right now would be that Wenger overrates the current squad and doesn't add to it in the summer.

(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Legit excited to see Diaby on the bench for Saturday :awesome:

Good to also see that Szczesny will be starting against Reading, Wenger's been really tough on him (rightly so). Honestly didn't think he'll be out this long.
    Ospina has done nothing to warrant being dropped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    It wasn't just a case of injuries though. We lost needless points in fixtures such as Swansea (flamini own goal..) Southampton away, Villa at home etc and we should have beat UTD at home too.
    I think those type of games that you had against Swansea, Southampton and Villa aren't really as big a problem as they are made out to be personally, seeing as you only dropped 11 points out of the teams outside of the top 7, which was a better record than everyone else that was in the top 4 in that season. Of course, it's a bit worse this season mainly because you have had more injuries (with your defence less intact, as opposed to last season) which have disrupted the balance of the team. Those injury problems that you have had should be minimized by adding more depth in the summer and proper rotation (Yes, Mourinho isn't the only one with this problem).

You should have beaten Utd at home and away from home tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Arsenal had a very easy run of games to start that season though. The first 12-14 games couldn't have been any more generous. It always seems to be the way with Arsenal that they either seem to **** up at the start and finish strongly or start strongly and **** up at the end.

My concern if I were an Arsenal fan right now would be that Wenger overrates the current squad and doesn't add to it in the summer.

Ospina has done nothing to warrant being dropped.
    Very true our first 10 games last year were piss easy tbh. I've said it on this forum a few times, we seem to work in calender years rather than seasons when it comes to form; killed it in 2013 (most points over the calender year), then flopped in 2014, and have started 22015 very well (most points so far).

Also completely agree, right now the biggest issue will be Wengs thinking we don't need anyone major in the summer

ReputationRep:
    I did my calculations and Arsenal would still have finished fourth in terms of points over calendar year 2014:
    Chelsea 88
    Man City 88
    Liverpool 76
    Arsenal 70
    Man Utd 66
    Tottenham 66
    Southampton 62
    Everton 56
    West Ham 56
    Stoke 54
    Swansea 49
    Crystal Palace 45
    Sunderland 44
    Newcastle 42
    Aston Villa 39
    West Brom 35
    Hull 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I did my calculations and Arsenal would still have finished fourth in terms of points over calendar year 2014:
    Chelsea 88
    Man City 88
    Liverpool 76
    Arsenal 70
    Man Utd 66
    Tottenham 66
    Southampton 62
    Everton 56
    West Ham 56
    Stoke 54
    Swansea 49
    Crystal Palace 45
    Sunderland 44
    Newcastle 42
    Aston Villa 39
    West Brom 35
    Hull 30
    Not sure if this is a reply to me, but I actually mean the 2013/14 season.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea 88
    Man City 88
    Liverpool 76
    Arsenal 70
    Man Utd 66
    Tottenham 66
    Southampton 62
    Everton 56
    West Ham 56
    Stoke 54
    Swansea 49
    Crystal Palace 45
    Sunderland 44
    Newcastle 42
    Aston Villa 39
    West Brom 35
    Hull 30

What calculations are these

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea 88
    Man City 88
    Liverpool 76
    Arsenal 70
    Man Utd 66
    Tottenham 66
    Southampton 62
    Everton 56
    West Ham 56
    Stoke 54
    Swansea 49
    Crystal Palace 45
    Sunderland 44
    Newcastle 42
    Aston Villa 39
    West Brom 35
    Hull 30
    impresive, considering that was a terrible end to the season, coupled with a terrible start to the season.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea 88
    Man City 88
    Liverpool 76
    Arsenal 70
    Man Utd 66
    Tottenham 66
    Southampton 62
    Everton 56
    West Ham 56
    Stoke 54
    Swansea 49
    Crystal Palace 45
    Sunderland 44
    Newcastle 42
    Aston Villa 39
    West Brom 35
    Hull 30
    Not sure why you did the calculations when there's an article on it on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30620617

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Not so sure really. From the way Wenger's been talking about Walcott it seems he wants to keep him in the squad
    I hope so, but I can see Walcott asking for a solidified first team place perhaps along with a bump up in his wages which Wenger will be reluctant to do especially if he wants to bring in someone like Dybala who can play ST/RW and his current set up working so well.

Also don't think you can count Walcott as a winger anymore really, guy cuts in more than anyone these days and sometimes even just sits centrally but that might be because of his desperation to impress and become a stats-cow again, will have to see what happens after he gets a proper run of games. I'm becoming more accustom to the idea of selling him and pretty certain we'll get a healthy fee but wouldn't want to sell him to a rival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    I hope so, but I can see Walcott asking for a solidified first team place perhaps along with a bump up in his wages which Wenger will be reluctant to do especially if he wants to bring in someone like Dybala who can play ST/RW and his current set up working so well.

Also don't think you can count Walcott as a winger anymore really, guy cuts in more than anyone these days and sometimes even just sits centrally but that might be because of his desperation to impress and become a stats-cow again, will have to see what happens after he gets a proper run of games. I'm becoming more accustom to the idea of selling him and pretty certain we'll get a healthy fee but wouldn't want to sell him to a rival.

I won't lose any sleep over selling Walcott but I would be sad to see him go considering how long he's been at the club :s. I still think there's space for him. He should definitely be starting over the likes of Welbeck/Ox giving him more game time. I don't think Dybala is coming to Arsenal. £30m for such a young player seems quite the risk but from what I've read so far Juventus and Roma have shown interest for him too.

Just hope we get a CM but that's unlikely. Wouldn't be surprised with a youth LB though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I won't lose any sleep over selling Walcott but I would be sad to see him go considering how long he's been at the club :s. I still think there's space for him. He should definitely be starting over the likes of Welbeck/Ox giving him more game time. I don't think Dybala is coming to Arsenal. £30m for such a young player seems quite the risk but from what I've read so far Juventus and Roma have shown interest for him too.

Just hope we get a CM but that's unlikely. Wouldn't be surprised with a youth LB though.
    It depends on the circumstances tbh, there are a few games where i'd take Welbeck starting over Walcott as much as I dont like to see it. This current system suits Welbeck and maybe Chambo more than Walcott imo and you can't argue with Wengers decision with the way the team is playing tbh. Sometimes he just lets games pass him by, even if he gets a goal/assist he doesn't do much else and can understand where Wenger prefers Ramsey, must be frustrating for Walcott to know a CM is taking his place though. I also doubt Dybala will happen and not at that price, someone will buy him though.

I'm not sure if it's strange that we haven't been strongly linked with anyone, when you see rumours of Man Utd close to bidding for x,y,z. Were we linked with anyone at this point last season?

Also lol at Wellington Silva, guy was my boi in FIFA. Just send the lad to Charlton and let them cast juju so we can recall him mid season.

ReputationRep:
    We don't need another CM, we need a backup CDM, CB, and Striker if we are lucky.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the circumstances tbh, there are a few games where i'd take Welbeck starting over Walcott as much as I dont like to see it. This current system suits Welbeck and maybe Chambo more than Walcott imo and you can't argue with Wengers decision with the way the team is playing tbh. Sometimes he just lets games pass him by, even if he gets a goal/assist he doesn't do much else and can understand where Wenger prefers Ramsey, must be frustrating for Walcott to know a CM is taking his place though. I also doubt Dybala will happen and not at that price, someone will buy him though.

I'm not sure if it's strange that we haven't been strongly linked with anyone, when you see rumours of Man Utd close to bidding for x,y,z. Were we linked with anyone at this point last season?

Also lol at Wellington Silva, guy was my boi in FIFA. Just send the lad to Charlton and let them cast juju so we can recall him mid season.
    That's the thing though. The games he's started he's scored and got into very good positions. I think it was one game vs Tottenham where we struggled that he was lauded for. I wouldn't say it was his fault either considering our service in midfield after going 1-0 up was poor.
    Welbeck is the type of player we sub on when resting some one after 70 minutes, or if we need more defensive contribution. But I just don't see why he deserves a spot on the first XI. Ox I think will play more centrally in the future. He's quite similar to Wilshere in some aspects but with more pace, hence he's worked better on the wing.

Also yeah it's very strange. Last year we were linked with Pedro Cavani Falcao Morata Benzema ADM Khedira Martinez(Jackson) Martinez(Javi) and Vidal.
    This year the only considerable reports have been to Pedro and that's only because he's admitted he wants out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    We don't need another CM, we need a backup CDM, CB, and Striker if we are lucky.
    We have 4 CB's we don't need another CB..

CDM falls under CM though I guess I wasn't specific enough. Coquelin is our back up DM of the destroyer mould, e.g Flamini. We need someone with defensive aspects to his game but can also distribute the ball forward well e.g similar to the Arteta role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I saw something the other day, sorry if it's a repost on here:

Media: Arsenal have a chance at winning the league.
    Arsenal fans: Lol nah, we have no chance.
    Chelsea fans: AHA ARSENAL THINK THEY CAN WIN THE LEAGUE
    Victim mentality...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    That's the thing though. The games he's started he's scored and got into very good positions. I think it was one game vs Tottenham where we struggled that he was lauded for. I wouldn't say it was his fault either considering our service in midfield after going 1-0 up was poor.
    Welbeck is the type of player we sub on when resting some one after 70 minutes, or if we need more defensive contribution. But I just don't see why he deserves a spot on the first XI. Ox I think will play more centrally in the future. He's quite similar to Wilshere in some aspects but with more pace, hence he's worked better on the wing.

Also yeah it's very strange. Last year we were linked with Pedro Cavani Falcao Morata Benzema ADM Khedira Martinez(Jackson) Martinez(Javi) and Vidal.
    This year the only considerable reports have been to Pedro and that's only because he's admitted he wants out.
    I think Welbeck still offers more than Walcott on an all round basis but more specifically in the areas that our setup recently demands i.e better at pressing and linking up. Welbeck needs to work on his finishing for sure but he also gets in to the same positions Walcott would imo. Maybe i'm being too harsh on Walcott, to see if he properly fits in our current system will become more apparent with a string of appearances but basing it on the skillset of both players I think Welbeck probably suits us better, but nothing to say Walcott can't adapt. I trust that Wengers got it right on the selection this time though and did especially like Rambo on the wings against Liverpool, was clearly tactical as oppose to just trying to shoe horn him in.

Agree on Ox, guy loves to make penetrative runs all day long. When he learns to do something with the ball afterwards he'll be a hell of a player. What you thinking on Wilshere coming back? Where would he play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

CDM falls under CM though I guess I wasn't specific enough. Coquelin is our back up DM of the destroyer mould, e.g Flamini. We need someone with defensive aspects to his game but can also distribute the ball forward well e.g similar to the Arteta role.
    4? Who. We have Kos and Gabriel, and then an ageing Merts. Who is our fourth? Don't say Chambers, because he is nowhere near the right level.

(Original post by jam277)
    Victim mentality...
    Don't do a Shed End.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

Bin Mertesacker.

ReputationRep:
    I think Welbeck still offers more than Walcott on an all round basis but more specifically in the areas that our setup recently demands i.e better at pressing and linking up. Welbeck needs to work on his finishing for sure but he also gets in to the same positions Walcott would imo. Maybe i'm being too harsh on Walcott, to see if he properly fits in our current system will become more apparent with a string of appearances but basing it on the skillset of both players I think Welbeck probably suits us better, but nothing to say Walcott can't adapt. I trust that Wengers got it right on the selection this time though and did especially like Rambo on the wings against Liverpool, was clearly tactical as oppose to just trying to shoe horn him in.

Agree on Ox, guy loves to make penetrative runs all day long. When he learns to do something with the ball afterwards he'll be a hell of a player. What you thinking on Wilshere coming back? Where would he play?
    Walcott is a better finisher, more intelligent movement as well. Welbeck stronger defensively, puts a shift in, but more dopey.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.