Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    No chance on Ibra, pretty sure he's going back to Milan. Lukaku is also unlikely either but Everton have been poor, and if Martinez gets the sack I could probably see Lukaku forcing a move anyway. Would happily pay the likes of £30-40m for Lukaku considering his age, how much Everton have bought him for , and also the lack of/high demand for strikers right now. Lacazette has 21 goals in 33 apps, only 2 of those were penalties.. Even then that's a 19 in 33 record which is more than 1 in 2, I don't understand what more you can expect from him? Piss poor league I know, but like I said, we don't need a world class striker especially if we buy the right winger. Lacazette's definitely an improvement on Welbeck, and going by this season, Giroud too.

Would not mind a new CB tbh. I don't have faith in Gabriel. He doesn't seem like one of those players that consistently perform even when the rest of the defenders are playing ****. Defenders like Monreal and Koscielny have that quality. For once I would like to actually shell out for a CB but knowing Wenger it won't happen.

Griezmann is a dream. Even if he were to be available it's more than likely he'd go to City or UTD instead.
    Still though, thank **** it's a Euro summer. Plenty of transfer activity in general and I do have faith that Wenger will sign 3 or 4 players this summer. If he doesn't then I probs just won't watch Arsenal next season lol.
    How many of Lacazettes goals were against the top 4? He's a notorious flat track bully. I haven't followed him much this season, but last season he was known for penalties and scoring against bottom half teams. Lukaku seems like a realistic signing imo, and one with heaps of potential even if he has been off the boil of late.
    As for Gabriel, I think you forget just how bad Monreal and Kosc (hell even Vermalen) were when they started. People were mad that we signed both 3 months into their Arsenal careers they were so bad. I'm really certain Gabby will turn good, but that doesn't mean we should RELY on him coming good. A new CB should be high on the list of targets imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    How many of Lacazettes goals were against the top 4? He's a notorious flat track bully. I haven't followed him much this season, but last season he was known for penalties and scoring against bottom half teams. Lukaku seems like a realistic signing imo, and one with heaps of potential even if he has been off the boil of late.
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    As for Gabriel, I think you forget just how bad Monreal and Kosc (hell even Vermalen) were when they started. People were mad that we signed both 3 months into their Arsenal careers they were so bad. I'm really certain Gabby will turn good, but that doesn't mean we should RELY on him coming good. A new CB should be high on the list of targets imo
    4, but why does it matter how many of his goals are against the top 4 when their league is completely different?

This season he's scored 19/33 non pen goals so he's above 1 in 2
    Last season he scored 27 with 9 penalties, so 18/33 non pen. Still 1 in 2.

I'm really not sure what you have against him. The penalties may have stat padded him last season, but even without them he's got a very good goal return. I don't expect him to replicate a 1 in 2 goal return in the premier league, but I'm confident he'll be an improvement on Giroud and Welbeck. He's still 24 as well. I can't imagine him being too expensive tbh. I'd take Lukaku over Lacazette any day, but the latter is more attaintable.

Not saying Gabriel is a bad player or that he shouldn't be starting for us in the future, but I just have doubts over him for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

4, but why does it matter how many of his goals are against the top 4 when their league is completely different?

This season he's scored 19/33 non pen goals so he's above 1 in 2
    Last season he scored 27 with 9 penalties, so 18/33 non pen. Still 1 in 2.

I'm really not sure what you have against him. The penalties may have stat padded him last season, but even without them he's got a very good goal return. I don't expect him to replicate a 1 in 2 goal return in the premier league, but I'm confident he'll be an improvement on Giroud and Welbeck. He's still 24 as well. I can't imagine him being too expensive tbh. I'd take Lukaku over Lacazette any day, but the latter is more attaintable.

Not saying Gabriel is a bad player or that he shouldn't be starting for us in the future, but I just have doubts over him for now.
    I don't hate him, there's just a LOT of people who look at his stats and think he's exceptional. On cost, he'll easily be £25 mil. It may be a punt to have him as winger turned striker I guess, I'm just not sure he's a massive upgrade.
    Personally, I think Lukaku is completely gettable; Spurs don't need him, Leicester aren't gonna spend that much on 1 guy, City don't need him, he has a poor relationship with Chelsea from what I can see and United want big names. He's the most gettable target imo

Also, could we comment on the hilarity that Welbeck has got injured and the first thing he does is get a twitter account to post updates on his recovery. He may have a scummy manc accent, but could you get more quintessentially Arsenal than that?

ReputationRep:
    gutted for Welbeck, means that **** Giroud will be here next season

Wonder if Wenger will promote one of Akpom or that Dutch kid we got from Ajax (supposed to be real deal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

What we need :
    New winger, striker, RB, CB?

What we'll get :
    New RB, CAM.
    If Walcott goes surely we'll sign a striker? It's probable that at least two of Campbell, Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain will go, without taking into account Alexis, so we're going to need a wide player.

Ideal world we'd get a world class striker, elite centre back (bin Mertesacker), Xhaka, then a wide playmaker and a promising wide forward. Chambers can cover right back, as can Coquelin.

ReputationRep:
    De Boer's gone from Ajax. I could just feel us losing out on yet another potential manager after both Klopp and Guardiola

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    De Boer's gone from Ajax. I could just feel us losing out on yet another potential manager after both Klopp and Guardiola
    Look on the bright side - you'll probably get 3rd this season.

#improvements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    De Boer screams mediocre to me
    Can see him do very well for Everton though
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Look on the bright side - you'll probably get 3rd this season.

#improvements
    Fuming rn, stop trying to banter when you're like 8th ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    A world class striker, a quality CM and a decent CB should bring them pretty close to it.

In before Man Utd spend another 150mil for a third consecutive summer to battle for 4th place.
    All they've needed for the last few years is a proper centre forward. Having someone who can bang in most big chances week-in week-out would release so much pressure on the rest of the team.

ReputationRep:
    Martinez is available. Remenber when people wanted him as Wengers replacement? ****ing lol, i used to rate him highly too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    All they've needed for the last few years is a proper centre forward. Having someone who can bang in most big chances week-in week-out would release so much pressure on the rest of the team.
    Have they ever replaced Henry? RVP was good enough but never fit other than that one season before he moved to Man Utd. Adebayor had one good season too and then went to Man City. Don't think anyone else was particularly good for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Fuming rn, stop trying to banter when you're like 8th ffs.
    We got in to 2 cup finals. You barely get past group stages of yours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Don't think it's much of an achievement if we can't win one of them tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    You mean the mickey mouse cup and the European rejects? Of which you haven't actually won any yet? Mad

ReputationRep:
    Have they ever replaced Henry? RVP was good enough but never fit other than that one season before he moved to Man Utd. Adebayor had one good season too and then went to Man City. Don't think anyone else was particularly good for them?
    Wenger's been spending a decent amount of money in the last couple of season's. If one of his big signings was actually a top quality centre forward that you could build the team around, then they'd be in a much better state right now.

The Summer they bought Ozil was the time to buy a striker, then they could have bought the right elite winger/AM the following Summer to play off of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Wenger's been spending a decent amount of money in the last couple of season's. If one of his big signings was actually a top quality centre forward that you could build the team around, then they'd be in a much better state right now.

The Summer they bought Ozil was the time to buy a striker, then they could have bought the right elite winger/AM the following Summer to play off of him.
    To be fair he did try to sign Suarez. Not like many top strikers have been willing to move lately (see Man Utd paying insane money for Martial).

ReputationRep:
    To be fair he did try to sign Suarez. Not like many top strikers have been willing to move lately (see Man Utd paying insane money for Martial).
    For £40m + £1
    The most obnoxious bid I've ever seen.
    They could've just bid £41m to make it seem a little less tool-ish.

In any case, an extra £10m and they would've bought one of the best strikers in the world. Good job Wenger...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    For £40m + £1
    The most obnoxious bid I've ever seen.
    They could've just bid £41m to make it seem a little less tool-ish.

In any case, an extra £10m and they would've bought one of the best strikers in the world. Good job Wenger...
    Which is a complete fallacy. We already triggered his release clause. You weren't selling him either way. Do one.

ReputationRep:
    Hate ***** like Jamie rednapp too, who is so ****ing dumb he says **** like "Arsenal missed out on him for the sake of a pound". Like, no we didn't you utter nonce, we paid the perceived buyout and was told to **** off. He makes out as if Pool would have sold for £40,000,002 the gimp.
    I doubt 45mil would have got him, or 50

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.