Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    4? Who. We have Kos and Gabriel, and then an ageing Merts. Who is our fourth? Don't say Chambers, because he is nowhere near the right level.

Don't do a Shed End.
    Yes chambers. That's 4th choice not first. He will have more experience under his belt but hopefully it wont come down to it.
    Merte has been just fine recently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Walcott is a better finisher, more intelligent movement as well. Welbeck stronger defensively, puts a shift in, but more dopey.
    Agree, will take his dopyness for being more selfless than Walcott though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    I think Welbeck still offers more than Walcott on an all round basis but more specifically in the areas that our setup recently demands i.e better at pressing and linking up. Welbeck needs to work on his finishing for sure but he also gets in to the same positions Walcott would imo. Maybe i'm being too harsh on Walcott, to see if he properly fits in our current system will become more apparent with a string of appearances but basing it on the skillset of both players I think Welbeck probably suits us better, but nothing to say Walcott can't adapt. I trust that Wengers got it right on the selection this time though and did especially like Rambo on the wings against Liverpool, was clearly tactical as oppose to just trying to shoe horn him in.

Agree on Ox, guy loves to make penetrative runs all day long. When he learns to do something with the ball afterwards he'll be a hell of a player. What you thinking on Wilshere coming back? Where would he play?
    Welbeck has scored 4 goals in the PL this season the same as Smalling lol. Walcott is the better player when he's on form he's devastating unfortunately he is too injury prone. Before he got injured last season he was in hot form and I don't think he's really reached his max performance yet. Ox has the same problem as Walcott, he is ridiculously injury prone and misses months of football every season.There is no room for Wilshere to come back to the first team now but he's going to have to prove himself when he gets the chance.

ReputationRep:
    Agree, will take his dopyness for being more selfless than Walcott though.
    Walcott's not much better though when it comes to dopyness though tbf

ReputationRep:
    chambers is a fine 4th choice CB

He is exactly what we need as our 4th choice.. someone young with potential.

- I am happy with our CBs atually.. gabriel should grow into a bigger role in the team.. and mert has really turned things around after his dire first half of the season.

I mean, I would still like to swap him for someone else.. as he is still quite a liability, but that would not be my top priority for the summer.

Actually all over defense we are pretty ok at the moment..

Jenk - Debuchy - Bellerin - (chambers)
    Mert - Kos - Gabriel - Chambers - (Monreal) - (hyden)
    Monreal - Gibbs

If anything another LB would be nice for depth..

My main priorities are:

CM.

We need a longterm replacement for arteta... Would love to see someone similar to him brought in, who can provide more options in midfield.. Coq has fully justified all his praise, and should be in our starting XI every single game.. but I would like another player to come in and be able to control the midfield..

Winger

Going to loose podolski + campbell in all likelyhood, and maybe walcott. - would love to see another attacking option come and join the team

Striker

giroud - welbeck - sanogo = not really good enough.

Giroud is great, but he is still a level below the strikers of some of our rivals.. and whilst I really believe he could be the striker in a title winning team, that for me is only if he is surrounded by other goal scorers.. (alexis + new winger + ozil + ramsey etc)

So really I would either like to see a 2nd top class winger to work alongside sanchez + giroud.. in which case I want us to get a striker for depth, but not nessasarily someone who will repalce giroud..

Or if we dont get a top class winger.. then get another striker to replace giroud..

Someone pacey who can finish well would be good (bassically welbeck but with goals) - so that we can play off a different dynamic to when giroud is on the pitch..

A player who can play on the wing and upfront would cover all this so perfectly.. someone like that dybabla kid who keeps being mentioned, or even reus.

Monaco home game, showed what we lack upfront though.. giroud had so many chnaces, and just could not put them away when it counted.. he has improved this season, but he is still not on the level of suarez/aguaro etc... who can just crush games by themselves.

---

GK

Need to get this position sorted..

I love ospina at the moment.. because he makes me so less stressed then scez did..

BUt that does not mean he is a top keeper.. he is ok, but really id like to see him as the backup for someone else..

In dream land: Sell scez.. buy Lloris (who wants to leave spurs if they dont get CL) - Lloris as number 1, with ospina as backup = top class.

so for my my positions I want to see strengthened:

CM
    Striker
    Winger
    GK
    LB

ReputationRep:
    I think Welbeck still offers more than Walcott on an all round basis but more specifically in the areas that our setup recently demands i.e better at pressing and linking up. Welbeck needs to work on his finishing for sure but he also gets in to the same positions Walcott would imo. Maybe i'm being too harsh on Walcott, to see if he properly fits in our current system will become more apparent with a string of appearances but basing it on the skillset of both players I think Welbeck probably suits us better, but nothing to say Walcott can't adapt. I trust that Wengers got it right on the selection this time though and did especially like Rambo on the wings against Liverpool, was clearly tactical as oppose to just trying to shoe horn him in.

Agree on Ox, guy loves to make penetrative runs all day long. When he learns to do something with the ball afterwards he'll be a hell of a player. What you thinking on Wilshere coming back? Where would he play?
    Hard to call with Wilshere really because it would mean dropping two out of Ozil Cazorla and Ramsey. Its very good rotation depth if done well but our play becomes too central ultimately. I guess stick Ramsey in when we need more energy or a physical presence in the midfield and use Wilshere when we're all out attacking vs smaller teams.

Its just unbelievable though how much strength we have In depth wrt to the midfield. Even the bench is becoming tight considering wilshere ox walcott welbeck will all be fighting for a spot in the first Xi.

Welbeck does well out wide because he carries the ball forward into the box better than our other attackers. His problem Is that once he gets into the box he usually leaves the pass or shot out too late and it goes wide of the bar. Hes quite an intelligent player none the less (or more so then people make out to be) but the end product is severely lacking. There are times where his touch is God awful to hence I've called him an older version of Sanogo essentially.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Welbeck has scored 4 goals in the PL this season the same as Smalling lol. Walcott is the better player when he's on form he's devastating unfortunately he is too injury prone. Before he got injured last season he was in hot form and I don't think he's really reached his max performance yet. Ox has the same problem as Walcott, he is ridiculously injury prone and misses months of football every season.There is no room for Wilshere to come back to the first team now but he's going to have to prove himself when he gets the chance.
    Doesn't mean he'll work better in our starting XI, Welbeck won't hit the standards of goalscoring and assisting that Walcott has in the past but he's shown to be less of a fluctuating player and plays for the team a lot more which is what we need right now, and which is what is working. While what Walcott does, he does to a very good standard but he offers little outside of that and cant adapt to tactical changes like I think Welbeck can. It's good that we have both options regardless though, lets us mix it up.

Wrt. Wilshere I think he can take over from what Cazorlas doing right now, he's got the attributes to do it but needs to develop a chemistry with players around him especially Ramsey and that'll only happen with consistent game time.

ReputationRep:
    I've been reluctant In the past to accept that we had the best midfield in the league (on paper) but after considering the work we've done with Giroud, just imagine the amount of goals we could score with an actual world class striker up front..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean he'll work better in our starting XI, Welbeck won't hit the standards of goalscoring and assisting that Walcott has in the past but he's shown to be less of a fluctuating player and plays for the team a lot more which is what we need right now, and which is what is working. While what Walcott does, he does to a very good standard but he offers little outside of that and cant adapt to tactical changes like I think Welbeck can. It's good that we have both options regardless though, lets us mix it up.

Wrt. Wilshere I think he can take over from what Cazorlas doing right now, he's got the attributes to do it but needs to develop a chemistry with players around him especially Ramsey and that'll only happen with consistent game time.
    Depends on what role you're talking. If you mean Cazorlas current role of half CM half No10 then yeah I guess Wilshere could fit well there. I dont think he'd ever be able to take over Cazorlas traditional role of playmaker as Wilsheres style of play is too direct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Nobody was complaining about Walcott when he scored 21 goals in 43 games in the 2012-2013 season. I don't think we can really judge him he's barely played this season and last season he got injured also. If he does stay he should be a starter over Welbeck next season and if he fails then you can throw Welbeck in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I've been reluctant In the past to accept that we had the best midfield in the league (on paper) but after considering the work we've done with Giroud, just imagine the amount of goals we could score with an actual world class striker up front..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Carrick > Coquelin
    Herrera = Ramsey
    Mata > Cazorla
    Di Maria = Sanchez

You win on depth

ReputationRep:
    Is Mata better than Cazorla?

hhhmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Welbeck does well out wide because he carries the ball forward into the box better than our other attackers. His problem Is that once he gets into the box he usually leaves the pass or shot out too late and it goes wide of the bar. Hes quite an intelligent player none the less (or more so then people make out to be) but the end product is severely lacking. There are times where his touch is God awful to hence I've called him an older version of Sanogo essentially.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah agree with this, Welbeck is especially tactically astute, he knows when to drop back or put pressure on the fullback etc. which is why i feel less nervous with him there (probably less excited too though). His first touch pisses me off more than his composure.

(Original post by AR_95)
    Depends on what role you're talking. If you mean Cazorlas current role of half CM half No10 then yeah I guess Wilshere could fit well there. I dont think he'd ever be able to take over Cazorlas traditional role of playmaker as Wilsheres style of play is too direct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah his current role. All depends on understanding between him and Ramsey though because he can dribble past players all day long with ease but if Ramsey isn't making the right runs or he's not making the right passes then its pointless.

(Original post by al_94)
    Nobody was complaining about Walcott when he scored 21 goals in 43 games in the 2012-2013 season. I don't think we can really judge him he's barely played this season and last season he got injured also. If he does stay he should be a starter over Welbeck next season and if he fails then you can throw Welbeck in.
    Wasn't complaining, i'm a big fan of Walcott and never said he wasn't capable of being a tremendous player. Just said that Welbeck is a better fit with the team dynamic and tactics employed at the moment. I've also already said that I'm not judging him yet and that i'm basing it on both players skillsets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Carrick > Coquelin
    Herrera = Ramsey
    Mata > Cazorla
    Di Maria = Sanchez

You win on depth
    lol. your always good for a laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Carrick > Coquelin
    Herrera = Ramsey
    Mata > Cazorla
    Di Maria = Sanchez

You win on depth
    Carrick >
    Ramsey>
    Cazorla = Mata this season if not better
    Sanchez >

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    lol. your always good for a laugh
    what do you disagree with exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Carrick >
    Ramsey>
    Cazorla = Mata this season if not better
    Sanchez >
    If you're having Cazorla level with Mata based on this season you also have to have Herrera above Ramsey based on this season, can't have it both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    If you're having Cazorla level with Mata based on this season you also have to have Herrera above Ramsey, can't have it both ways.
    Well they're unfair comparisons in the first place lol.
    Coquelin has had the better season by far but is he even similar to Carrick?
    You didn't include ozil>fellaini for some reason either lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Well they're unfair comparisons in the first place lol.
    Coquelin has had the better season by far but is he even similar to Carrick?
    You didn't include ozil>fellaini for some reason either lol
    Coquelin's had a better season than Carrick uwotm8?

Because Fellaini wouldn't be in our first choice midfield on paper and Ozil wouldn't be in yours, unless you'd have him over Cazorla

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Coquelin's had a better season than Carrick uwotm8?

Because Fellaini wouldn't be in our first choice midfield on paper and Ozil wouldn't be in yours, unless you'd have him over Cazorla
    lol your entire team is built around Fellaini FFS :laugh:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.