Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    The Summer they bought Ozil was the time to buy a striker, then they could have bought the right elite winger/AM the following Summer to play off of him.
    We did but an elite winger the following summer, who scored over 20 goals in his 1st season.

Oh if things had turned out differently

Fabregas Suarez >>> Ozil Sanchez

ReputationRep:
    tbh Liverpool knew what we were when we dared to nab Suarez off them:
    -eight years without a trophy
    -history of injuries
    -lack of ambition (FA Cup was already devalued by the time Wigan won it)

Fair play to Wenger for trying but the ultimate side-effect of him failing a large bid is essentially him not trying to bid in the future. For fear of that embarrassment. (Ozil and Sanchez, they weren't wanted at their old clubs so they were probably the easiest big signings Wenger made)

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fans having a meltdown and it's not even a matchday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    We did but an elite winger the following summer, who scored over 20 goals in his 1st season.

Oh if things had turned out differently

Fabregas Suarez >>> Ozil Sanchez
    He did, but Ozil wasn't up to it that season. Centre forward is key.

ReputationRep:

Good memories hehe

Actually had the bottle to overturn a 2-0 lead from Barcelona

Scenes when Walcott had too much pace for Barca

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

Good memories hehe

Actually had the bottle to overturn a 2-0 lead from Barcelona

Scenes when Walcott had too much pace for Barca
    That Barca onslaught in the first 20-25 minutes was one of the most exhilarating performances, I have ever seen. They could have been at least 5-0 up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icecream1)
    That Barca onslaught in the first 20-25 minutes was one of the most exhilarating performances, I have ever seen. They could have been at least 5-0 up.
    yeah. the one time Almunia actually looked like a GoalKeeper

ReputationRep:
    Good news WOBs, Arsene has denied he is being offered a new contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Good news WOBs, Arsene has denied he is being offered a new contract
    I think he's just saying that tbh. I would be absolutely disgusted if it's true.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    I think he's just saying that tbh. I would be absolutely disgusted if it's true.
    He seems pretty coy about it. I think he'd openly admit it if he'd put pen to paper, or even verbally agreed. Seems to me to be a case of the media discovering Arsenal's plans to offer a contract. If so, there's no guarantee Wenger knows.

ReputationRep:
    Iheanacho is said to be on a current wage of around £15,000 and his agents want that figure to rise to £150,000, having seen what the likes of Raheem Sterling and Wilfried Bony are earning at the club. :rofl:

scenes when Iwobi asks why Walcott is paid more than him too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Premier League assists in 2016

Sheyi Ojo - 4
    Mesut Ozil - 2

Thoughts?
    When you had the epiphany to post this, was it meant to be a segue to any thing other than **** banter?

I'm trying to understand how you function.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    When you had the epiphany to post this, was it meant to be a segue to any thing other than **** banter?

I'm trying to understand how you function.
    James Milner has 11.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    James Milner has 11.

Thoughts?
    James Milner was a free transfer.

Thoughts?

(Original post by leinad2012)
    What I don't get is quite how we bottled it. If you looked at arsenal's team, you would say it's a side with far too many squad players and few world class talent. Our results say the opposite to what you'd expect from such a squad; the best h2h record against the top 4 for the first time in YEARS (undefeated too) yet bottling at home to **** teams. The opposite of a team with so many squad players. It's just odd tbh.

New cb, back up rb if Debuchy leaves (no one talks about it but Bellerin has plaued pretty much every game this season. A 3 month lay off with Chambers as back up would **** us), a cdm, a rw and a striker needed in all honesty.

Gonna throw a few questions out that I've seen today:
    Ramsey played his best football at cam. Surely we should play him there when Ozil is injured rather than Iwobi Welbeck etc? Also, I really think a RamboWilsh b2b cam combo would work in Ozils absence, and provides us with the ability to phase out Cazorla next year with neny Wilshere fighting for b2b next to Coq or a different cdm (kante the dream obs).
    Secondly, Gotze is looking likely to leave in the summer (read as definitely given their new signings). Should we be on that? Going to throw an outlandish statement out there, but the best 2 international sides in the past 10 years (Spain and Germany) have seen HUGEHUGE success playing a false 9/ no striker. Why have we never tried it? Our set up of creative midfielders makes it seem a sensible prospect, especially if we can get Wilshere and Ramsey scoring. The thought of Gotze at Liverpool scares the **** out of me tbf.
    Lastly, whilst I'm not his biggest fan, people are way too harsh on Walcott. He's had 6 months of really, REALlY **** form but 12 months ago half the posters on here were sucking his left testicle after he scored in the cup final. Our fans need to stop basing the quality of the player on the past 6 months. If there was one winger I'd keep (bar Sanchez), it'd be Walcott, becuase he's proven his worth in past years and maybe if our fans backed him he wouldn't be in such poor form.
    We dropped the title because of Cazorla's injury, and a lack of a replacement for his role in our team. Losing him was the most damaging thing to our title challenge. Ramsey CANNOT play in a double pivot for a side that plays the style of football that Arsenal wants to play. He lacks the composure and discipline to have such an important role in our team. He has no interest in that role, he wants to finish things off, not start them off.

Wilshere and ramsey can't work as a midfield two. Only in a midfield three can they work. I used to say Ramsey was better than Wilshere a couple years ago, but my lord was I wrong. Wilshere's cut the unnecessary dribbles out of his game, and watching how well he copes with pressure when receiving the ball has made me all the more sick that Ramsey has played in the double pivot for us this season.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    James Milner was a free transfer.

Thoughts?
    150k per week doe

ReputationRep:
    To be fair to Liverpool , I'd take an Europa League final anyday over the shower of **** season we've had. Genuinely think that this summer we will be let down big time in the transfer market yet again.

I just find it painful watching the games these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icecream1)
    Xavi was incredible in that spell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    We dropped the title because of Cazorla's injury, and a lack of a replacement for his role in our team. Losing him was the most damaging thing to our title challenge. Ramsey CANNOT play in a double pivot for a side that plays the style of football that Arsenal wants to play. He lacks the composure and discipline to have such an important role in our team. He has no interest in that role, he wants to finish things off, not start them off.

Wilshere and ramsey can't work as a midfield two. Only in a midfield three can they work. I used to say Ramsey was better than Wilshere a couple years ago, but my lord was I wrong. Wilshere's cut the unnecessary dribbles out of his game, and watching how well he copes with pressure when receiving the ball has made me all the more sick that Ramsey has played in the double pivot for us this season.

Wilshere's close control is what makes him more talented. Also, his head never goes down in big games. I think all round he is a class apart from the other British players at the club. Apart from Chambers, who can turn out to be very good.

ReputationRep:
    At least our women's team know how to put up a fight against Chelsea...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.