Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matty12345)
    Im choosing between GMS or Beaumont! Which one would you say is better for a sporty sociable lad who wants to live with quite a few people? Try not to be biased towards GMS though haha!

I really cant decide between the two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much a coin flip.

But, also, Beaumont

ReputationRep:
    I am swaying towards Beaumont mainly because of the great catered accomodation! The dining hall looks like the great hall from harry potter haha :-) Also the amount of people on a corridor is quite big so must be very sociable and fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am swaying towards Beaumont mainly because of the great catered accomodation! The dining hall looks like the great hall from harry potter haha :-) Also the amount of people on a corridor is quite big so must be very sociable and fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are 18 guys living all on one floor where I am, and lots of us do sport. You'll probably be happy wherever you are, and I haven't ever lived in Beaumont so I can't say without being biased, but you will fit in at GMS.

You'll fit in anywhere really, it just depends what level of luxury you want in terms of your room.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for GMS, everyone I have spoke to says it's the most social, that's where I live. I have friends in JoFo and most of them say that it isn't as social,I have one friend that doesn't even speak to any of her flat mates, they just all ignore each other... also it's soooo expensive and if you can deal with not having BRAND NEW accomodation then go for GMS. Bowder Court in GMS is just as nice as JoFo but also expensive. I live in a premium single room (shared bathroom and kitchen) with a sink in my room and I love it. We have 5 bathrooms between 12 of us so it's definitely worth the £800 less you pay for for the room, you don't need an en suit... The majority of GMS is alot older but it's generally not too bad.

If you're catered you don't get a dining room, so if you can kind of cook go self catered, you usually get a really good social area. Look into how much load you get before, I have friends whos loan doesn't even cover the cost of basic accomodation so JoFo wasn't an option... Living in general is expensive, especially is you're going out so all the money left over you have is worth it. You also have to move out at Christmas (yes... everything), which is also a massive pain, and can't move back till the day before term starts; you can't come back early (many of us did to focus for exams).
    GMS also has S Bar, which is the best one and if kind of in the middle, and one of the closest if you're walking for ASDA; which is great when you have haeavy things...

BUTTT is you have 9am/10am lectures you'll have to walk to the JoFo bus stop, otherwise you won't be able to get on... only takes about 1 minute though.

DON'T GO FOR MARY GEE, you can never get on the bus early, it's far from everyone, when there's free buses to nights out they don't stop there, people also hate on you because you live there. You end up having to walk to Uni all the time and it's SOO FARR from asda and the Manor Road gym....

ReputationRep:
    filbert village ! nice spacious rooms and party halls ! mixture of demotford and leicester students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.Hart)
    DON'T GO FOR MARY GEE, you can never get on the bus early, it's far from everyone, when there's free buses to nights out they don't stop there, people also hate on you because you live there. You end up having to walk to Uni all the time and it's SOO FARR from asda and the Manor Road gym....
    Sure the buses are usually full by the time they get to mary gee, but it is a 30 minute walk at max to uni, not far at all. The free buses stopped at mary gee every single night of freshers so that is a lie. People don't hate on you, it's just considered a bit of a joke to live there, it is actually perfectly adequate accomodation and is said to be one of the more sociable halls. Yes it is a bit of a walk to ASDA and the uni, but not everyone can afford a £300 bus pass. There is nothing wrong with Mary Gee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyimdec)
    Sure the buses are usually full by the time they get to mary gee, but it is a 30 minute walk at max to uni, not far at all. The free buses stopped at mary gee every single night of freshers so that is a lie. People don't hate on you, it's just considered a bit of a joke to live there, it is actually perfectly adequate accomodation and is said to be one of the more sociable halls. Yes it is a bit of a walk to ASDA and the uni, but not everyone can afford a £300 bus pass. There is nothing wrong with Mary Gee!
    Why would you choose mary G over the student village?? Oadby I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.Hart)
    I'd say go for GMS, everyone I have spoke to says it's the most social, that's where I live. I have friends in JoFo and most of them say that it isn't as social,I have one friend that doesn't even speak to any of her flat mates, they just all ignore each other... also it's soooo expensive and if you can deal with not having BRAND NEW accomodation then go for GMS. Bowder Court in GMS is just as nice as JoFo but also expensive. I live in a premium single room (shared bathroom and kitchen) with a sink in my room and I love it. We have 5 bathrooms between 12 of us so it's definitely worth the £800 less you pay for for the room, you don't need an en suit... The majority of GMS is alot older but it's generally not too bad.

If you're catered you don't get a dining room, so if you can kind of cook go self catered, you usually get a really good social area. Look into how much load you get before, I have friends whos loan doesn't even cover the cost of basic accomodation so JoFo wasn't an option... Living in general is expensive, especially is you're going out so all the money left over you have is worth it. You also have to move out at Christmas (yes... everything), which is also a massive pain, and can't move back till the day before term starts; you can't come back early (many of us did to focus for exams).
    GMS also has S Bar, which is the best one and if kind of in the middle, and one of the closest if you're walking for ASDA; which is great when you have haeavy things...

BUTTT is you have 9am/10am lectures you'll have to walk to the JoFo bus stop, otherwise you won't be able to get on... only takes about 1 minute though.

Great second name by the way. My names Luke Hart, I hide under the Matty identity, but now thats out....

ahh I cant decide!

Can I get catered standard/premium ensuite in GMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And..... Im really unsure whether I need the ensuite or not. Such hard decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    And..... Im really unsure whether I need the ensuite or not. Such hard decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You really don't. You won't get the choice in second year (unless you and all your housemates are willing to pay the extortionate rent of one of the very few ensuite houses in CP/Evington) so you may as well get used to it in first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    You really don't. You won't get the choice in second year (unless you and all your housemates are willing to pay the extortionate rent of one of the very few ensuite houses in CP/Evington) so you may as well get used to it in first.
    Ah yeah I see what you mean. So how many bathrooms/per person is there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah I see what you mean. So how many bathrooms/per person is there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Varies. Normally about 5 people to one toilet and one shower. In Beaumont it's 3 toilets and 2 showers between 10.

ReputationRep:
    Ive firmed Leicester so can I already apply for accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ive firmed Leicester so can I already apply for accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They email once you can, probably be in around 2-4 weeks. If you've not been on a visit day yet do that first though.

ReputationRep:
    I went last week and im attached to it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is staying at a place called "CODE" next year, shes in the year above me. I kinda wanna be near her so its easier for us, but then again, I really wanna stay at John Fosters or Bowder Court, I want an ensuite aswell. Does anyone know how much it will roughly cost a week for John Fosters or Bowder Court? Only problem is getting to the city centre, buses aint my thing but I guess Ill buy an annual pass for the sake of it. But yeah woooo leicester!!

ReputationRep:
    Also, is anyone going to the UCAS Applicant day on 23rd Feb (this saturday) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azar123)
    My girlfriend is staying at a place called "CODE" next year, shes in the year above me. I kinda wanna be near her so its easier for us, but then again, I really wanna stay at John Fosters or Bowder Court, I want an ensuite aswell. Does anyone know how much it will roughly cost a week for John Fosters or Bowder Court? Only problem is getting to the city centre, buses aint my thing but I guess Ill buy an annual pass for the sake of it. But yeah woooo leicester!!
    Why base your university life on a relationship when its likely to end with challanages of uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Why base your university life on a relationship when its likely to end with challanages of uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be fair, only he knows his own relationship. It's true that most relationships do end over uni, but doesn't mean they all do.

I've been with my gf throughout uni even though she's not in Leicester (she goes to Birmingham) and I did a year abroad, and now I'm moving down there next year whilst she does her final year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    To be fair, only he knows his own relationship. It's true that most relationships do end over uni, but doesn't mean they all do.

I've been with my gf throughout uni even though she's not in Leicester (she goes to Birmingham) and I did a year abroad, and now I'm moving down there next year whilst she does her final year.
    Well you 2 sir, are a very good couple. I wish you happiness on your wedding day :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.