Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Struggling to immerse myself into this dissertation shiz.

My supervisor believes all I'll need to gather resources is PubMed. Dunno how to go about narrowing the list of endless articles to a greater specificity for what I require.

Also been told not to use any reviews, strictly original articles, but everything seems to be reviews ¬_¬

I suppose I could look at references within reviews, but that's quite time consuming and frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylan_)
    Hello. I was just wondering if anybody could help me out. I am considering studying Biomedical Science at University next year and I need to know whether studying an IBMS accredited course will narrow my options. After my degree I have aspirations of either going into research at an academic institution/pharmaceutical company or graduate entry medicine. Will studying an accredited degree limit me to only NHS work? Or is a research career still an option?

Thanks.
    From colleagues I work with, they have told me that having the registration demonstrates to employers you are a competent scientist with experience. So I dont think having the certificate of competence will hinder you

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Are you given a topic for the Biomed dissertation or do you have to decide that for yourself? Also, how long do you get to complete the dissertation?

I'm in third year, so will have to do it soon!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join please
    Recently started A- level and hoping to study biomed at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys What books/articles did everyone include in their personal statement, if any? Struggling to find them! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GD2822)
    Hey guys What books/articles did everyone include in their personal statement, if any? Struggling to find them! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't reference any.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone suggest any books about the basics of biomedical science which could possibly be mentioned in a personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of internships/work experience did everyone do in their first year at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOONA.)
    Could anyone suggest any books about the basics of biomedical science which could possibly be mentioned in a personal statement?
    Read through a few chapters of Biochemistry by Berg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)

My supervisor believes all I'll need to gather resources is PubMed. Dunno how to go about narrowing the list of endless articles to a greater specificity for what I require.

Also been told not to use any reviews, strictly original articles, but everything seems to be reviews ¬_¬

I suppose I could look at references within reviews, but that's quite time consuming and frustrating.
    Hadn't you finished uni? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Hadn't you finished uni? :holmes:
    Evidently not :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Evidently not :curious:
    ok

ReputationRep:
    I'm exploring career prospects out of the lab, anyone have ideas/suggestions of things I should look into?

Ideally I want to be in a position where I'd learn something new (perhaps business acumen?) but at the same time be able excercise skills/knowledge gained from my degree. :holmes:

ReputationRep:

Use the advanced search function - saves a heck of a lot of sifting.

Following references might be time consuming, but it's a good way to find what you're after.

Use textbooks to set the ground knowledge on the matter.

I'm afraid it will be long, tedious an frustrating. But the key is to keep on top of the dissertation, to not let it lag behind.

Btw, what's it on...if I may ask? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Btw, what's it on...if I may ask? :holmes:
    The specifics are still up for discussion, but at this point it looks I'll be researching cancer cell metabolism. My knowledge is still quite limited atm, but put simply I'll probably be exploring elevated lipid metabolism, and how this helps the survival and proliferation of cancer cells. Possibly also the therapeutic implications of this. It could be another area though, like increased Glycolysis in cancer cells, or a range of areas brought together. Also the genes associated with these characteristics, like HER2.

ReputationRep:
    The specifics are still up for discussion, but at this point it looks I'll be researching cancer cell metabolism. My knowledge is still quite limited atm, but put simply I'll probably be exploring elevated lipid metabolism, and how this helps the survival and proliferation of cancer cells. Possibly also the therapeutic implications of this. It could be another area though, like increased Glycolysis in cancer cells, or a range of areas brought together. Also the genes associated with these characteristics, like HER2.
    Awesome, sound's like it'll be an interesting dissertation.
    As a little suggestion, since you are investigating metabolism, you may want to have a brief look at the crocus research at the University of Bradford's Institute of Cancer Therapeutics. It hinders metabolism in general by preventing angiogenesis, and so on.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOONA.)
    Ben Goldacre's - Bad Science is a very good read, one which gives a good introduction to biology in the media. It's not specifically for biomed students, but I'd still recommend it.
    (Original post by xxKiaraxx)
    What sort of internships/work experience did everyone do in their first year at uni?
    I don't think you'll have a good chance of getting an internship after your first year, most students do an internship after their second year. I asked around my lecturers and tutors in the department if they had any opportunities for me over the summer, and one of them got back to me. I was performing plant genetics and evaluating sequencing results at SNP regions to analyse if the SNP distinguishes between the two different parents of plants.

This was after my second year though. It was a good experience in the lab learning how to perform techniques on my own and organising my own schedule.

ReputationRep:
    Is it better to do a course that gives you an IBMS accreditation? At the moment I'm not sure between 2 unis for first choice. One has the accreditation but to other one doesn't. Does the accreditation make much difference? thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacovigilance 2

ReputationRep:
    Go for the accredited degree, always good to have

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.