The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flywithemma
Seriously? Wow. She must have been amazinggggggg.

She must be, I mean she has the same academic record as everyone else that applies to Oxbridge but the interviews must've been something else - the letter that was sent to her, mentioned something along those lines alongside a brief statement of how strong the references were.
Original post by TheMeister
She must be, I mean she has the same academic record as everyone else that applies to Oxbridge but the interviews must've been something else - the letter that was sent to her, mentioned something along those lines alongside a brief statement of how strong the references were.

i thinkkkk maybe we go to the same college?
Original post by lhkennedy1
i thinkkkk maybe we go to the same college?

:biggrin:
Let's just say these exams aren't going the best I hoped...
Anyone else in this boat?
Original post by Mann18
As far as I'm aware, yes.

Apparently ''Once you've made your UCAS application, you can apply for financial help as soon as student finance applications open. You don't need to wait for an offer.'' :biggrin:

found at: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/ApplyingForAHigherEducationCourse/DG_10013213
Heeey :smile:

Just wondering if anyone has a place at Hertford... and also, has anyone got into Hertford to do Arch and Anth??? Any Arch and Anthers in general as well - there's not many of us :smile:
Original post by CharlieCroc
Heeey :smile:

Just wondering if anyone has a place at Hertford... and also, has anyone got into Hertford to do Arch and Anth??? Any Arch and Anthers in general as well - there's not many of us :smile:

Hertford! :cool:

(For physics tho)
no worries, resits are allowed ;D
Original post by freezombie
Cheers! Same here. Did you stay at Mansfield for interviews? (as in: Do I know you?)

sorry i'm a bit slow to reply, but yes i did! i was fran, the weird one :P
Original post by Backslash
Has any got past the "YAY I HAVE AN OFFER" stage and moved on to the "OH GOD, I NEED TO GET THE GRADES" stage yet?

So much so I even made a thread. Oh lord, I need help! I worked so hard for the offer and now I can't let it slip!!!
Head up and keep going until march results day...
Got a B in one of my mocks, was feeling okay about it and thinking between now and June I can find 6% from somewhere, and then told my mum... the look of disappointment on her face was awful.
Mostly I ignore her, but I'm not going to lie, I'm ****ting myself a tiny bit! :redface:

I read somewhere that 90% of people who get Oxford offers go there. Even if none of the remaining people chose to go elsewhere instead (and I'm sure some do) that still gives us brilliant odds. Remember the tutors think we can make the grades and they are MUCH smarter than we are! :biggrin:
Reply 731
Original post by frequent_flyer
Apparently ''Once you've made your UCAS application, you can apply for financial help as soon as student finance applications open. You don't need to wait for an offer.'' :biggrin:

found at: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/ApplyingForAHigherEducationCourse/DG_10013213

You're just going to call me out like this, in front of everyone?!

:p:

But yeah.
Although, a lot of banks I've checked out ask for an Unconditional offer.
Original post by Gallant Megapenthes
I am going to be a fairly old one, I'm 20 in December.
Can I join you and be like a disciple and spread your cryptic riddles?

I have accepted mine, I think Catz said they give more information in the summer or something... it said something in the offer letter

Hi there, have you received offers/rejections from all of your universities to have been able to accept your oxford offer? I am waiting to hear from exeter and bristol so I can't find anything on ucas to accept my oxford offer before I have heard from these last two? It would feel good to let Oxford know that I am the keenest bean in the world to go there

Cheers
Original post by someonegivemeanoffer
Hi there, have you received offers/rejections from all of your universities to have been able to accept your oxford offer? I am waiting to hear from exeter and bristol so I can't find anything on ucas to accept my oxford offer before I have heard from these last two? It would feel good to let Oxford know that I am the keenest bean in the world to go there

Cheers

Hey,

You have to withdraw from the other two uni's to firm Oxford early, so that would mean not waiting to hear from them (although sometimes they reply anyway).

Make sure you don't accidentally withdraw from Oxford and ruin your life.

:yy:
(edited 13 years ago)
If I were you, I'd wait - there's no harm in waiting, and it's nice to know what would have happened

But that's easy for me to say - my offers came in reverse order of preference, so I heard from Oxford last :smile:
Original post by RupertTheBear
Hey,

You have to withdraw from the other two uni's to firm Oxford early, so that would mean not waiting to hear from them (although sometimes they reply anyway).

Make sure you don't accidentally withdraw from Oxford and ruin your life.

:yy:

Haha okay, being such a sad act, partly fueled by maternal paraoia. The letter doesn't say anything about having to firm early so I think it would be safer to just wait. Maybe see if I get 5 offers then I can act like a king history douche
Original post by SuperPatchKid
And 1991.. :colondollar: My 20th Birthday is in the first few days of freshers.... I'm going to be so wise :rolleyes:

I'm getting bits and bobs at a time cause I figure it'll be a huge (expensive) rush if I try and do it all right before we go :smile: It's going to take me a while to find the perfect duvet cover :tongue: although my mum did text me while I was at work today asking if I needed a duvet - she's more over-excited then I am! :redface:

October 7th, 20th birthday halfway through freshers. I think most embarassing was at interview being taken to my room by a maths student who was 7 months younger than me, bloody prodigies
Original post by franziska69

Original post by franziska69
sorry i'm a bit slow to reply, but yes i did! i was fran, the weird one :P

Hehe. Well, I didn't get a lot of names, and remembered even fewer. Is that "weird" as in educational rapper?

I'm Tom, the German dreadlocké.
Oh, Christ Church are eager! I got an email today with the Oxford Bursary information, fee status etc. And also a beast of a letter explaining that once we accept our offers, they will begin to decide what rooms we will have in first year! :biggrin: I suppose I best reply to the offer! :smile:
I am very much in this boat...
Annoyingly I'm also finding the fear leads to stressing out during my exams and therefore to a poorer performance. (A big well done to my subconscious for that one)
On top of that, the irrational part of me is also constantly thinking that if I meet my offer but don't get any A*'s I'll be the thickest person there.
Is it just me?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending