Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    company examples of subcultures?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help : 2 sucessful business due to goo leaddership and 2 unsucessful busineses due to leadership

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moko)
    Can someone please help : 2 sucessful business due to goo leaddership and 2 unsucessful busineses due to leadership

Thank you
    successful: starbucks, google, apple and southwest airlines
    unsuccessful: barclays, enron and british airways

ReputationRep:
    Last big day

going through the spec today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyjack94)
    My teacher told me to just stay away from this question!!!
    what do you mean? that it won't come up or?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read on this thread the most popular structure is '2 for 2 against'. That could be suitable for a simple question like "To what extent do you think that the external environment in the UK is favorable for businesses at the moment?" (Jan 2013 Q3)

The structure would therefore be:
    - Intro
    - 1st point for
    - 2nd point for
    - 3rd point for (depending on time and detail of previous points)
    - 1st point against
    - 2nd point against
    - 3rd point against (depending on time and detail of previous points)
    - Conclusion

However how would you structure a question like "Assess the value of corporate plans in enabling a business to achieve its corporate aims and objectives. Evaluate the various stages of the corporate planning process and how each stage contributes to the effectiveness of the overall plan". (A question my teacher asked me in class, or will that type of question not come up?)

Also, recently in the BUSS4 exam, they have been asking questions with two topics in it as opposed to one so how would you go about answering that with the '2 for 2 against' approach? Would you then do 4 for & 2 or 4 against or 2 for (one topic each & 2 against)

ReputationRep:
    how is south west airlines culture successful?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, do you have any examples of business where the culture does NOT derive from the leader?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have notes on HSBC they could share? Comparing them to barclays please

THANKS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CubePL)
    Guys, do you have any examples of business where the culture does NOT derive from the leader?
    Barclays (previously) possibly, because all employees wanted their own way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannonsnelling)
    what do you mean? that it won't come up or?
    no that it is an awkward and hard question better off spending time on others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubix1)
    Barclays (previously) possibly, because all employees wanted their own way
    You mean previously as under Bob Diamond's leadership? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bonus culture derived from him giving out bonuses to the top management for doing nothing. However, the culture at the lower levels of management was turning toxic as the people down the hierarchy didn't really get any instructions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amieeallen)
    how is south west airlines culture successful?
    2012: Profits (excluding special items) of $417 million represent 40th consecutive year of profitability for SWA.

2012: Total operating revenue: $17.1 billion
    Southwest has lower unit costs (adjusted for stage length), on average, than virtually all major domestic airlines and consistently has one of the best overall Customer Service records.

2012: 85.96% departures on-time.

2012: SWA is leading in the market for lowest customers complaints - 0.25 per 100,000 passangers

The company experiences extremely low staff turnover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemz)
    company examples of subcultures?
    barclays, mid-staffordshrie hospital

ReputationRep:
    John Lewis arguably, because all employees are partners, so their culture derives on teamwork and togetherness in the sense that they all work hard together to achieve rewards.

Royal mail also before Moya Greene to a certain extent because before she was there the employees were resistant to change and took industrial action, so this meant that the leaders weren't that powerful at influencing the culture of the business, because obv they didnt encourage that kind of behaviour. that may be a bit of a stretch though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    globalisation examples please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iggyDash)
    Tesco / Starbucks are what i'm planning to use for globalisation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iggyDash)
    http://www.hospitalitybizindia.com/d...id=16749&sid=1
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...perstores.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1801909.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemz)
    successful: starbucks, google, apple and southwest airlines
    unsuccessful: barclays, enron and british airways
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I guess you could use Ryan Air, since they're driven heavily by their objectives and low budget?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.