Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2013 Markscheme Question 1.

If you use 7dp as they suggest you finish the Algorithm in 3 Steps rather than the correct 4 Steps. Whoever wrote this paper was a dumbass. Oh well let's hope I get the rest of the marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    I am doing the may 2008 paper and it has some odd questions... can someone tell me if there part of the specification or not...? Like this one....

..Attachment 216452
    Not in our spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    technically no, but on one of the past papers they accepted solutions on the dotted line in the answers.

2. flows is unlikely to be on as the sorting algorithms have to be on but it doesn't matter.
    Sir how would you then find the optimal solution? i am unsure because the co-ordinates you get when solving simultaneously include the line so how then would you find an optimal solution?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way to remember which area you reject with equations like 2y>3x and such. I always forget how...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    thanks for the quick reply im still a little confused though, so part a is wrong?
    You wrote:
    a) I got A-1=H-2 and A-1=H-3=C-5 the second one is not on the ms so is it incorrect?

But look at Figure 4 which shows the initial matching
    In your answer you have wrote C is matched to C (3=C) but it's not, the initial matching shows C is matched for 4 not 3!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Not in our spec
    So what paper can I do now? I have done all from 2009 t0 2013

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwertyG)
    Is there a way to remember which area you reject with equations like 2y>3x and such. I always forget how...
    I just choose a point and test it either side of the line
    e.g (1,2) = 4>3, 4 is bigger than 3, so you'd reject the opposite side to where that point is :-)

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to remember anything, you just test a point from either side of the line, if it makes sense like 40>10

if it doesn't like 12>12331224242 then it's not feasible.

You can go for any point to check feasibility... I usually go for 0,0... but in this case 2y>3x it wouldn't be appropriate since it goes through zero.... So I usually go for one big integer along one of the axis and make the other co-ordinate zero

ReputationRep:
    Anything below the line gets rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    So what paper can I do now? I have done all from 2009 t0 2013
    I think your good to go Just make sure you know all definitions.

I've only done 5 past papers and haven't times myself for any, have you ?

ReputationRep:
    Anyway time for me to log of Studentroom for 12 Hours.

Good luck everyone.

Hope this is useful - Day of the Examination Notes from Maths24/7
    http://mathormaths.com/2012/06/13/th...e-examination/

Time for me to get that 1/3 Steps Closer to that Glorious A*.

:danceboy: Lets do this!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a list of definitions for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    I think your good to go Just make sure you know all definitions.

I've only done 5 past papers and haven't times myself for any, have you ?
    No I didn't time myself either...I just did them lol....some took me 2 hours....oh crap....what do I do now

ReputationRep:
    So when doing the max match algorthim do you have to follow the rule of "not in" and then "in" the initial matching to fin an alternating path?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahjames123)
    does anyone have a list of definitions for the exam?
    Its in your book sarah

ReputationRep:
    Fairly possible I would say Though I would imagine it must be a pain for the examiner to mark ! Since students will get a variety of funky shapes
    Haha thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westeros)
    You wrote:
    a) I got A-1=H-2 and A-1=H-3=C-5 the second one is not on the ms so is it incorrect?

But look at Figure 4 which shows the initial matching
    In your answer you have wrote C is matched to C (3=C) but it's not, the initial matching shows C is matched for 4 not 3!
    So when doing the max match algorthim do you have to follow the rule of "not in" and then "in" the initial matching to find an alternating path?

I am so lost!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    So when doing the max match algorthim do you have to follow the rule of "not in" and then "in" the initial matching to find an alternating path?

I am so lost!

If thats the case i think I understand it, does this have to be true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    If thats the case i think I understand it, does this have to be true?
    Yes! That is correct

ReputationRep:
    do we need to write how much wasted space there is after each bin packing?

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 15, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.