Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) F332 Tuesday 4th June 2013 Exam Discussion (Now Closed) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    Can some please please please help me

How does N2O control ozone abundance in stratosphere?
    I would say that N2O can break down to produce an oxygen radical, NO radical or N radical. These all can react and break down ozone in the stratosphere, which decrease the amount of ozone in the stratosphere.

ReputationRep:
    Safe

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand Intermolecular forces?
    Can someone explain i, e.g instantaneous-induced forces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nivvy21)
    no, I just copied that off the ms, I don't understand why? doing chemistry endlessly has made me forget how answer this

it says they accept both

wait, ohh, I see it! I get it! So, for qs like this: you count up the carbons and split it up, using what they told you? Omg, yes, I get it (I hope)! Is it right?
    No no, I was wrong, its just propene as the double bond doesn't matter on 3 carbons as it can be flipped around. Its just propene as prop-1-ene is prop-2-ene. The MS says don't accept prop-2-ene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whostolemycookie)
    electron movements in a molecule create an uneven distribution of charge, this induces a dipole in the neighbouring molecule leading to an attraction.

ReputationRep:
    In a molecule the electrons are randomly (moving and) distributed and this means at any one moment there may be more electrons at one end of the molecule's poles meaning the molecule has gained an instantaneous dipole. This in turn induces a dipole in an adjacent molecule and hence the name instantaneous dipole-induced dipole bonds. This type of bonding occur in all molecules; polar or non polar.

The permanent dipole-permanent dipole bonds only form between molecules with a permanent dipole such as HCl and those types of molecules also have IDID bond present as well.

The hydrogen bonds only form between molecules with O-H, N-H and F-H bonds. Both molecules must have these groups for the hydrogen bond to form.

ReputationRep:
    Random movements of electrons in a molecule creates an uneven distribution of charge, producing an instantaneous dipole, This can induce a neighbouring molecule to form a temporary dipole, creating an attraction between the two molecules.

Permanent dipole - permanent dipole bonds occur between two elements with different electronegative values.

ReputationRep:
    no2 making no+ o ist this initiation or propagation,

some advance notice article worksheet said it was intiation, i disagree as no2 is a radical? therefore when a radical is on both side of equation it is propagation>??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Random movements of electrons in a molecule creates an uneven distribution of charge, producing an instantaneous dipole, This can induce a neighbouring molecule to form a temporary dipole, creating an attraction between the two molecules.

Permanent dipole - permanent dipole bonds occur between two elements with different electronegative values.

(Original post by Ali_Ludley)
    In a molecule the electrons are randomly (moving and) distributed and this means at any one moment there may be more electrons at one end of the molecule's poles meaning the molecule has gained an instantaneous dipole. This in turn induces a dipole in an adjacent molecule and hence the name instantaneous dipole-induced dipole bonds. This type of bonding occur in all molecules; polar or non polar.

The permanent dipole-permanent dipole bonds only form between molecules with a permanent dipole such as HCl and those types of molecules also have IDID bond present as well.

The hydrogen bonds only form between molecules with O-H, N-H and F-H bonds. Both molecules must have these groups for the hydrogen bond to form.
    Examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick d terrier)

some advance notice article worksheet said it was intiation, i disagree as no2 is a radical? therefore when a radical is on both side of equation it is propagation>??
    You're right

ReputationRep:
    Examples?
    IDID = Any compound consisting of only one element (Like Cl2 or F2) and any non polar molecule such as CH4

PDPD (and IDID) = HCl and HF (As Cl is a bigger molecule than H so permanent uneven distribution of electrons)

Hydrogen bonding = between molecules of water and ethanol as the OH groups in both molecules bond. Thats why ethanol is soluble in water, the more hydrogen bonding, the more soluble something is in water.

ReputationRep:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...1&d=1370254459

NO2 is a radical.

Radical is present on both sides of equation, so one radical is used and replaced by another. So reaction is propagation.

ReputationRep:
    Examples?
    Id-Id often crops up in halogens.

Pd-Pd often comes up in halogenoalkanes, so for example, molecules of CH3Cl can form Pd-Pd as the positively charged carbon can attract the negatively charged chlorine, and vice-versa.

You should be able to recognise them, as it's not that complicated. Just think about polarity and charges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...1&d=1370254459

NO2 is a radical.

Radical is present on both sides of equation, so one radical is used and replaced by another. So reaction is propagation.
    Thanks thought it was!

ReputationRep:
    You're right

few ahah!

ReputationRep:
    IDID = Any compound consisting of only one element (Like Cl2 or F2) and any non polar molecule such as CH4

PDPD (and IDID) = HCl and HF (As Cl is a bigger molecule than H so permanent uneven distribution of electrons)

Hydrogen bonding = between molecules of water and ethanol as the OH groups in both molecules bond. Thats why ethanol is soluble in water, the more hydrogen bonding, the more soluble something is in water.
    I read in the mark schemes that you don't get any marks if you abbreviate dipoles, so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    x
    x
    Thanks I get it now

ReputationRep:
    Thanks thought it was!
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1092138AAqQpXC

It is and it isn't, depends on the nature of the observation.

ReputationRep:
    when you have concentration of value ppbv when divide by 1*10^9 what units are u therefore in after dividing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstebanK0)
    I read in the mark schemes that you don't get any marks if you abbreviate dipoles, so be careful.
    I know that, you dont get marks for IDID, you have to write instantaneous dipole induced dipole bonds to get the mark, I was just stating examples though so I couldn't be bothered writing them out.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.