Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    5US has House though, even if series old
    House used to be amazing. Then I started watching How I Met Your Mother. Barney is now my Idol.

ReputationRep:
    House doesn't even register on my rader. iPlayer doesn't show everything, no.

ReputationRep:
    Just to notify the house, Adorno has been elected as the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party after Sohanshah stepped down.

Well done Adorno and I would like to say thanks to Sohanshah for his help since I took over the leadership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    Just to notify the house, Adorno has been elected as the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party after Sohanshah stepped down.

Well done Adorno and I would like to say thanks to Sohanshah for his help since I took over the leadership.
    My congratulations to Adorno.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Adorno!

ReputationRep:
    :congrats: to Adorno and the TSR Labour Party

ReputationRep:
    Looking back at the RL list of Deputy Leaders of the Labour Party as compared with the number of Deputy Leaders that the TSR Labour Party have had we are now at number 9. This makes me Roy Jenkins. However, taking out RK (who was DL for less than a week) and Nightowl (who became Speaker after a few weeks) that brings the number down to 7 which incidentally is the number that Aneurin Bevan held!

There, I like that for doctored history.

ReputationRep:
    You geez gonna let me in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Nag Cardozo. I'm not sure I have the power (of Greyskull) yet.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I already repped you >.< Stupid He-man related awesomeness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    I hadn't looked in a while, sorry, it's usually just accounts with no posts and last activity a minute before asking to join.

ReputationRep:
    lol its alright

ReputationRep:
    yay :party: welcome

ReputationRep:
    Well done Adorno.

"The meeting follows the launch by Mr Brown and Mr Balls of a scheme to put laptops and broadband in the homes of 270,000 low-income families."

The Labour Party wishes to launch the above scheme. What does the TSR Labour Party think about this?

"The meeting follows the launch by Mr Brown and Mr Balls of a scheme to put laptops and broadband in the homes of 270,000 low-income families."

The Labour Party wishes to launch the above scheme. What does the TSR Labour Party think about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8451088.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abucha3)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8451088.stm
    I like it. What do you think?

(Original post by lotsofsnails)
    I like it. What do you think?
    I think it's disgraceful. Why should the Taxpayer have to pay for poor people to be equipped with a laptop and broadband connection? My family purchased a laptop and pays a monthly fee for broadband. There is absolutely no good reason why people should just get it for free; the should get a job and buy it themselves. Remember these are luxuries, not needs.

I would wonder the worth of these laptops and the speed of the internet.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by abucha3)
    I think it's disgraceful. Why should the Taxpayer have to pay for poor people to be equipped with a laptop and broadband connection? My family purchased a laptop and pays a monthly fee for broadband. There is absolutely no good reason why people should just get it for free; the should get a job and buy it themselves. Remember these are luxuries, not needs.

I would wonder the worth of these laptops and the speed of the internet.
    This is pure jelousy. 'I had to pay, why dont they?' because they have much less money. The internet is an amazing resourse. It greatly aids education (which can be the differance between a child from a poorer family spending their life in a low paid job and making a much better job and thus paying more back in taxes) and it is also a great way to look for work without having to spend money on transport. It is a relatively small payment to what can be earnt back in taxes. It is an investment that will also greatly increase the lives of todays poorest.

(Original post by DayneD89)
    This is pure jelousy. 'I had to pay, why dont they?' because they have much less money. The internet is an amazing resourse. It greatly aids education (which can be the differance between a child from a poorer family spending their life in a low paid job and making a much better job and thus paying more back in taxes) and it is also a great way to look for work without having to spend money on transport. It is a relatively small payment to what can be earnt back in taxes. It is an investment that will also greatly increase the lives of todays poorest.
    It is not jealousy at all; it is just a case of treating everyone equally. If poor families cannot afford a laptop and broadband connection then it is their duty to seek employment and purchase the services with their own money. The Taxpayer already pays a tremendous amount into welfare for what poor families 'need'; we should not be upping this to now even paying more for something that they don't need.

Children have access to computers and broadband at school. Adults have access to computers at local libraries and jobs can be found through other means than through the internet.

This proposal from Ed Balls and Gordon Brown is costly, unfair and completely unnecessary.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.