Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Very happy about the application date being pushed back, gives me more time to prepare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Very happy about the application date being pushed back, gives me more time to prepare.
    Same!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just graduated from my degree in mathematics and music (June 2013) and I'm hoping to start my PGCE in secondary mathematics in Sept 2014. So far I've had paid part time work in 5 schools: a small inner-city secondary for 11-16 year olds, a large rural school for 11-18 year olds, a small prep school for 3-13 year olds and an all-through special school and I now work fulltime as a Learning Assistant in an all-through school in the middle of Bradford with kids from about every social/ethnic group you can think of. In my first year of University I also took part in the Student Associate's scheme.
    I've also volunteered as a cub scout/Scout leader (7-10y.o.) since I was 17 and worked as a Additional needs co-ordinator for a large children's event for 600 8-11y.o and on a trillion residentials/camps etc.. and tutored maths and English from KS2-A level throughout my degree. I've been wanting to start training since I was in sixth form and I'm so excited that it's so fast approaching!! Is anyone else applying for maths?

Where is everyone thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    Pushed back again?!?!?!?! I've had my PS written for over 2 months :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I would be happy to and certainly wouldn't steal it, but it is against forum rules to share PSs like that (to stop people being plagiarised), yet unfortunately it looks like the PS advice service where you CAN share it is only open to undergrads...

However I'd definitely advise posting on the PS help forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2397381 for further advice. Maybe, if it's possible, explain what the joke is about without using wording from your PS. You could also check whether your PS eligible to be posted for a check, and then post it... they are currently busy but you now have until 21st Nov to get it back it seems!

xxx
    This isn't true. You can send in your ITT personal statement on here and they will look at it and give you constructive criticism in the same way that they do for undergrad PS's. I know because I did it when I did the first draft of my PS last year. I recommend this...the feedback is generally really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    Would volunteering in Brownies/Guides or something similar help an application at all?? I noticed in my area they are looking for volunteers one evening a week for a few hours just to help out. They say what age range so 5-7 or 7-11 year olds. I am hoping to have a job for next year but I should be able to fit this in.
    Definitely...but not on its own! They like to see classroom experience in addition to these things if possible...but as Tesco says "every little helps"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    Would volunteering in Brownies/Guides or something similar help an application at all?? I noticed in my area they are looking for volunteers one evening a week for a few hours just to help out. They say what age range so 5-7 or 7-11 year olds. I am hoping to have a job for next year but I should be able to fit this in.
    Hi! I done some experience in June after my final year exams at a Girlguiding group. Although I have not written extensively about it in my PS, it did help me get a cover supervisor job for this academic year. I applied for ITT last year and got on a schools direct place however, the university turned me down based on experience. As you could imagine I was absolutely gutted however I managed to get this CS job and it has been great! I would wholly recommend that you get as much experience with young people in and out of the classroom. Not only does it look great when you're applying for your PGCE but it really has made me realise that this is the career for me! It feels like a mountain to climb but the last 2 months has definitely been worth it and will hopefully continue to be! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywellydoodle)
    Hi,

I've just graduated from my degree in mathematics and music (June 2013) and I'm hoping to start my PGCE in secondary mathematics in Sept 2014. So far I've had paid part time work in 5 schools: a small inner-city secondary for 11-16 year olds, a large rural school for 11-18 year olds, a small prep school for 3-13 year olds and an all-through special school and I now work fulltime as a Learning Assistant in an all-through school in the middle of Bradford with kids from about every social/ethnic group you can think of. In my first year of University I also took part in the Student Associate's scheme.
    I've also volunteered as a cub scout/Scout leader (7-10y.o.) since I was 17 and worked as a Additional needs co-ordinator for a large children's event for 600 8-11y.o and on a trillion residentials/camps etc.. and tutored maths and English from KS2-A level throughout my degree. I've been wanting to start training since I was in sixth form and I'm so excited that it's so fast approaching!! Is anyone else applying for maths?

Where is everyone thinking of applying?
    Woah, you have an impressive history. :eek: I feel a bit jelly.
    I am considering Northumberland, manchester and liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently studying Psychology with Education Studies and really want to go on to study a Secondary PGCE after qualifying.. However, I am unsure of my prospects at the moment. I only know of two schools within my local area that teach Psychology at KS4 with the rest being taught post 16. In addition, I have looked briefly at local universities offering Secondary PGCE's (Durham, Newcastle etc..) and I cannot see any that relate to Psychology!? I would love to travel further afield to complete a PGCE but have a small child so right now that isn't really feasible. Is anyone else studying Psychology and unsure of how to enter Secondary Ed?? Or does anyone have any advice for me??

ReputationRep:
    The delay until the 21st is annoying, but it may enable me to squeeze in some classroom experience so not all bad. I know people have put up the Bursaries in England for 14/15, but I can't find the Welsh ones for the life of me, anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halliefest)
    Hi, I am currently studying Psychology with Education Studies and really want to go on to study a Secondary PGCE after qualifying.. However, I am unsure of my prospects at the moment. I only know of two schools within my local area that teach Psychology at KS4 with the rest being taught post 16. In addition, I have looked briefly at local universities offering Secondary PGCE's (Durham, Newcastle etc..) and I cannot see any that relate to Psychology!? I would love to travel further afield to complete a PGCE but have a small child so right now that isn't really feasible. Is anyone else studying Psychology and unsure of how to enter Secondary Ed?? Or does anyone have any advice for me??
    Hi. I don't have much advice, so I'm sorry about that, but I do sympathise. I study politics, and am desperate to get into secondary teaching. Like psychology, it's not the easiest way in due to it's absence on the curriculum. I am applying for R.E and hoping I can blag it's relevance!

I take it you're not interested in primary? Your degree would be well suited for that. But I know how it is to much prefer secondary. What did you do for A-Level/grades? Teach First offers a way in if you have an A (it may be a B actually) in one of their listed subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halliefest)
    I initially wanted to teach secondary, and am doing a degree in psychology with history and was told by several universities that I was an unsuitable candidate for their history pgces. Without studying a subject with a high relevance to a specific curriculum subject its a struggle, but as the above poster mentioned teach first if an option if you have an a level grade in some subjects, but they don't normally guarantee you will be placed locally

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm a little confused.

"Applicants must submit an application before taking the [QTS] tests and will need to provide evidence of this when they attend the test centre..."

"Applicants who have passed their Key Skills tests will be viewed favourably for interview."

So, you submit your application (without having passed, as you can't take the tests before applying). Then you take your tests and pass. How do the universities know that you've passed before you have your interview? Do you have to call them up?

ReputationRep:
    So I am currently considering a career in primary teaching. However, I have no prior classroom experience. I have helped out at my mother's primary school before, but I have nothing in the way of formal experience. I'm trying to pick up as much experience as I can this year, which as I've posted in another thread is proving difficult due to the DBS woes.

I realize most Universities require a minimum of 2 weeks experience, which I fully expect or intend to have by the time I would start a PGCE in 2014. Is it even worth applying? I'm fairly sure that teaching is for me, and I'd hate to be sitting around next year whilst I could be furthering my career. It wouldn't be the end of the world as I could spend that year getting some teaching experience and forming a more cohesive application, but should I apply this year on the off-chance I might be accepted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ1993)
    So I am currently considering a career in primary teaching. However, I have no prior classroom experience. I have helped out at my mother's primary school before, but I have nothing in the way of formal experience. I'm trying to pick up as much experience as I can this year, which as I've posted in another thread is proving difficult due to the DBS woes.

I realize most Universities require a minimum of 2 weeks experience, which I fully expect or intend to have by the time I would start a PGCE in 2014. Is it even worth applying? I'm fairly sure that teaching is for me, and I'd hate to be sitting around next year whilst I could be furthering my career. It wouldn't be the end of the world as I could spend that year getting some teaching experience and forming a more cohesive application, but should I apply this year on the off-chance I might be accepted?
    I guess there's no harm in applying apart from the £19 fee, but you're extremely unlikely to even get an interview with zero experience. Of course, if you do apply it would be worth mentioning that you have work experience planned, etc.

I know what you mean though. I don't have much experience so I'm not expecting to get on this time. Like you said, it's not the worst thing in the world as we can spend the next year building up for it with experience.

(Original post by Denu)
    Okay, so I'm a little confused.

"Applicants must submit an application before taking the [QTS] tests and will need to provide evidence of this when they attend the test centre..."

"Applicants who have passed their Key Skills tests will be viewed favourably for interview."

So, you submit your application (without having passed, as you can't take the tests before applying). Then you take your tests and pass. How do the universities know that you've passed before you have your interview? Do you have to call them up?
    I was wondering this myself, it's very strange. I think unis automatically get notified when you pass the tests. Someone may want to correct me on that though. Course, once the bookings open, it doesn't leave that much time to sort it all out before they start considering who they will interview. In fact, I don't know how they will have any time at all. It just doesn't add up in my head, because lets face it, some unis will start considering who to ask for interview as soon as the application has gone through, which would mean you wouldn't have QTS tests done anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I guess there's no harm in applying apart from the £19 fee, but you're extremely unlikely to even get an interview with zero experience. Of course, if you do apply it would be worth mentioning that you have work experience planned, etc.

I know what you mean though. I don't have much experience so I'm not expecting to get on this time. Like you said, it's not the worst thing in the world as we can spend the next year building up for it with experience.
    I've got some part time work lined up, and I'll be back at home from University next year so I can work at my Mum's primary school guaranteed, it's just wanting to get on with my life y'know!

ReputationRep:
    I've got some part time work lined up, and I'll be back at home from University next year so I can work at my Mum's primary school guaranteed, it's just wanting to get on with my life y'know!
    Trust me, I know the feeling. But hey, I'd say apply. You never know... I had a friend who had an AWFUL primary PGCE application (he did have a few days exp though), and he got an interview. Once you get an interview you can prove yourself more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Trust me, I know the feeling. But hey, I'd say apply. You never know... I had a friend who had an AWFUL primary PGCE application (he did have a few days exp though), and he got an interview. Once you get an interview you can prove yourself more.
    It's kind of a "Might as well, see where it gets me" sort of thing. When is it applications open? 21st of November?

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of a "Might as well, see where it gets me" sort of thing. When is it applications open? 21st of November?
    Yep! It's a good idea to get some references sorted before hand, just so they're done and you can warn them. You would normally have a reference from a school, so I guess that may be in issue for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Would be grateful if someone could provide the link to register my application please.

Many thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.