Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatsumaBenji)
    I'm a computer programmer... How good do you thing my spelling needs to be on an iPod?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering it alters the meaning of your sentance, your spelling (or use of the right word) has to be comprehendible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatsumaBenji)
    Give birth?

(Original post by LewisMead)
    Give birth?

^^Wizards

Yeah, you're right

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight Rises was a pile of dung!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanAGTerry)
    And by this I'm assuming that you are middle class? Spoilt kid who doesn't know what it's like to be skint. Lol. It's not always about having a good education, and the fact that your parents are earning more than mine gives you no right to be snobby, there's a little thing called humility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You devalue your own argument by calling him a spoiled kid.

ReputationRep:
    I hate feminists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarMed25)
    I'm from an area of poor socio-economic background and I clearly remember as a child thinking 'I can't bothered to go to the wonderful private school, I'll just go to my local one where class sizes are too large, discipline is an issue and there's never any funding for books' Oh no, wait!

What school you attend is largely governed by where you live. This means that if you live, for example, on a council estate, you will attend school with everybody else from the council estate. This simply concentrates the problems. My high school had barely any funding, far too many children with SENs, more trainee teachers than experienced ones and a 'sink hole' attitude that 'this is it, don't aspire, don't dream, because this is it'.

It's true that you can battle against it and make something of yourself (I'm a case in point), but it's also true that children are the product of their surroundings. If a child is only exposed to one strata of society, if all that child's friends are in similar situations, if that child's family are also from that part of society and if nobody is willing to push them to do more then of course there's a large chance they'll sink into mediocrity.

I sincerely hope that you don't have to experience the brunt of snobbery for yourself!

My unpopular opinion- Keira Knightly is just awful.
    perhaps a good education is not necessarily a private school, there are good state schools?

also, there are a LOT of students that get bursaries...

I agree on that. Do you do psychology? You sound like you do... 'socio-economic background' and the hint of behaviourist and social psychology in your views in upbringing (i do it haha)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is a particularly good actress nor do I think she deserved the oscar. (However, I love her quirky personality!)

I don't think Ryan Gosling or Channing Tatum or Gerrard Butler or Chris Hemsworth are good looking at all!!

I don't like big boobs or curves, I prefer a skinnier boyish figure.

I did not like Avatar at all.

Though a non-smoker I love the smell of other people smoking.

I thought Django unchained was overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amcdschool)
    perhaps a good education is not necessarily a private school, there are good state schools?

also, there are a LOT of students that get bursaries...

I agree on that. Do you do psychology? You sound like you do... 'socio-economic background' and the hint of behaviourist and social psychology in your views in upbringing (i do it haha)
    Ha ha, no I'm a Historian. I've just found that poor socio-economic background goes down better at dinner parties than saying 'I'm from the ghetto!'

There are indeed good state schools, however, I don't know of any good state school that is in the centre of a council housing estate. Good schools tend to be in good areas with higher house prices. If you can't afford to live in the catchment area you don't get to go. Hence keeping Britney and Ryley separate from Hugo and Anna, whether intentionally or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lissprxs)
    People shouldn't look down on others simply for having an opinion, no matter how disgusting it seems, that is their belief
    I detest people who think this.
    Holding an opinion or belief is no excuse for being incorrect.
    I was once told I couldn't tell a street preacher that he was wrong when he approached me claiming the world is only 10,000 years old and as I don't believe that is so, I will go to hell.
    I'm sorry, I don't give a **** if that's your 'belief', or if your offended by me calling you out on it. If you are going to preach what can only be described as lies to me in the street, I will provide a rebuttal.

And at what point do we stop respecting this 'belief' nonsense?
    A child died in the US recently because his parents 'believed' in faith healing. He had a treatable condition, in the end he died a slow death caused by dehydration.
    Is that OK? No, any level headed person wouldn't think it is.

The word 'belief' is used far to often as an excuse for illogical thought, or plain and simple stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ornlu)
    Considering it alters the meaning of your sentance, your spelling (or use of the right word) has to be comprehendible...
    Sentence*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    You devalue your own argument by calling him a spoiled kid.
    Not really, being upper-middle class doesn't necessarily mean you are spoilt. However, making a comment like that just shows that they obviously don't know what it's like to be hard up, and is making a sweeping generalisation that all lower class citizens are stupid and/or chavs. Obviously not the case considering that a lot of people who are lower class go to university every year. Besides, poor=/=uneducated, there are some very clever people who just aren't interested in money, and education doesn't always mean intelligent. It just annoys me when people think that they have a right to look to down on anybody because of their background.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not really, being upper-middle class doesn't necessarily mean you are spoilt. However, making a comment like that just shows that they obviously don't know what it's like to be hard up, and is making a sweeping generalisation that all lower class citizens are stupid and/or chavs. Obviously not the case considering that a lot of people who are lower class go to university every year. Besides, poor=/=uneducated, there are some very clever people who just aren't interested in money, and education doesn't always mean intelligent. It just annoys me when people think that they have a right to look to down on anybody because of their background.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I agree with you, looking down on someone because of their background is foolish because they could have been born to a less well-off family, instead of the family they're in now. But that also goes for other people saying middle class = spoiled (general, not directed to you).

ReputationRep:
    Sentence*

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sly b*****d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    No, I agree with you, looking down on someone because of their background is foolish because they could have been born to a less well-off family, instead of the family they're in now. But that also goes for other people saying middle class = spoiled (general, not directed to you).
    Yeah that's true, I suppose it's just because most of the upper class people I've ever come across ARE spoiled. They can be lovely people, but they're still spoiled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Footballers should earn £30,000 a year max. - They don't deserve all they get.

Charities should stop making depressing adverts and instead spend that money on helping the kids, not point cameras in their face and spend thousands of pounds on the advert.

BTECers shouldn't go to college with people doing A-Levels, they disturb others during exam seasons purely because they don't understand the fact that we cant chill and do coursework as well, we have to study for exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agata)
    Footballers should earn £30,000 a year max. - They don't deserve all they get.
    £30,000 a year max for being the best at a sport that millions play? And then if they just earn that where will the massive revenue streams that football clubs generate go to? Straight into the pockets of already multi-millionaires, and I'd prefer footballers go it than them. I do believe a wage cap should be created though.

Here's my unpopular opinion: Anyone who goes on any sort of 'World challenge' expedition doesn't give a **** about the countries they're going to, it's merely a holiday for rich kids.

(Original post by Conzy210)
    £30,000 a year max for being the best at a sport that millions play? And then if they just earn that where will the massive revenue streams that football clubs generate go to? Straight into the pockets of already multi-millionaires, and I'd prefer footballers go it than them. I do believe a wage cap should be created though.

Here's my unpopular opinion: Anyone who goes on any sort of 'World challenge' expedition doesn't give a **** about the countries they're going to, it's merely a holiday for rich kids.
    Well they're clearly not the "best" if there's 265million males and females doing the same sport and that's just football.

Okay, 30k is harsh, I just realised - no more than £100k but millions and such are just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agata)
    Well they're clearly not the "best" if there's 265million males and females doing the same sport and that's just football.
    Okay, 30k is harsh, I just realised - no more than £100k but millions and such are just ridiculous.
    that doesn't even make sense - they are the best if they are at the top of the game, in the top leagues, playing for the best teams despite the 265million other competitors

the problem with the wages is that they are paid regardless - there should be a basic wage and then bonuses for indervidual and team performances as oppose to £100k for being sat on the bench

ReputationRep:
    Golf isn't a sport, it's a game. It's also not interesting to watch.

ReputationRep:
    I believe so strongly in natural selection that I believe babies / foetuses with downs or any other disability should be left or aborted, this would purify genetics and would in turn would create a superior human race

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.