Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have received my AS results i got an E in psych a D in ICT and a B in Design tech, not the best i have to admit. i am unsure whether to resit psych or take another AS level instead and end up with IT,DT a level and wbq , but i was wondering as well if people done a lot better on the final A level year and if anyone knows if wbq counts as an A level with unis ??
    Help would be really grateful as i need to choose my subjects for A2.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chanda01;58742787]I wanted to apply to KCL, Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham and maybe Queen Mary (all for Law). I got 9A*, 3A, 1B (one mark off an A) at GCSEs. Would you still encourage me to continue and apply everywhere I intend?

Yes, definitely, especially with those GCSE results. Nothing is ever certain when applying to any university but you can't lose anything by trying.Just work hard on your personal statement, prepare thoroughly for any interviews, spend time with mark schemes and write plenty practice essays for your retakes and A2s. If things don't go as planned you can always reapply, so be ambitious!

ReputationRep:
    ACCC to AAA achievable with resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma98)
    ACCC to AAA achievable with resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's possible but you'll need to put the hard work in. Honestly it might depend on what you're capable of but you'll still probably have to work hard for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanda01)
    I wanted to apply to KCL, Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham and maybe Queen Mary (all for Law). I got 9A*, 3A, 1B (one mark off an A) at GCSEs. Would you still encourage me to continue and apply everywhere I intend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it helps try to get that B remarked. It might go up a mark. I wouldn't trip over it though.

In about a year I imagine you'll probably be reconsidering your choices though. Partly depending on what AS levels you get but I think there are better law schools out there, excluding Oxford obv. Though you may want a fall back or two. http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations Look at list A2 and B. Those will probably be what you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    I got BBB at AS in biology, chemistry and maths and got A*A*A at A2

ReputationRep:
    I got ABDD for maths physics further maths and chemistry. i dropped chemistry and am retaking 2 maths modules and 1 physics. i want to apply to good uni and do aeronautics. do you think it is possible? p.s. i'm also doing epq and GCSE i got 5A's 4B's and a C

ReputationRep:
    I got ABCC at AS and A*BB in A2 - not a MASSIVE jump, but still a jump! I resat my Chemistry (C to B) and just tried hard for Maths to get it to an A*!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif118)
    I got BBB at AS in biology, chemistry and maths and got A*A*A at A2
    That's amazing! did you do any retakes?

ReputationRep:
    Its The Bridge, or the bridge

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did 4 retakes, in each of my subjects I messed up 1 exam, I was abut halfway into a B for all my subjects so I was about 25 ums away from an A in all my subjects.

In maths I just got an A in Core 1 and I was a few ums away from an A in decision so them 2 units averaged at an A but I got a C in core 2 because I didn't really try to learn it I just crammed at the last minute. So I resat core 2 and got full ums which brought my grade up to an A.(trust me resits in maths are so much easier when u learn core 3 and 4)

In biology I got an A in unit 2 a B in the isa and a C in unit 1 so I resat unit 1 and got an A which pushed my grade up.

In chemistry I got exactly an A in unit 1 and a few ums off an A in Unit 2 and a C in the ISA. So I resat Unit 2 and the ISA, if u get exactly an A in unit 2 then I would definitely recommend resitting it because unit 2 holds the most ums of 140, if u learn the content for unit 2 and do all the past papers u should be able to get almost full marks in the test. the first time I think I got about 73 out of 100 and when I resat I got 99. When I resat the ISA I still got a C again so theres really no point resitting ISA's and I got a C in the A2 ISA aswell. I worked out at the time that if I got exactly an A in unit 1 and full ums in unit 2 with a C in both ISA's then I could get low B's in unit 4 and 5 and still get an A. If you can score high in unit 2 it will make everything so much easier. Also if you do lots of practice papers in unit 4 and 5 u should get really high ums so u can get an A* even if u get a C in the isa's.

ReputationRep:
    I got BEEU resat year 12 ended up with A*AA

ReputationRep:
    even if you get amazing grades at a2, how much do predicted grades limit you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshal.s.m)
    even if you get amazing grades at a2, how much do predicted grades limit you
    In terms of uni offers, I'd say not at all, because you could always go through adjustment. That's just my opinion though, I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    D at bio AS to an A at A2

ReputationRep:
    got CDDU in AS, with retaking 5 exams can i get AAB/ABB overall ?

ReputationRep:
    I got CCCD in maths, chemistry, geography and biology. Would i be able to get AAB and apply to optometry after 2 resits (in maths and chem - i dropped biology)? - school only allows 2 thinks 3 will be too much I'm really worried because i dont know what course id do otherwise. I didn't work as hard as i could i just felt really numb to it all and thought id be fine :/

ReputationRep:
    Did you retake in summer? And did you do all the maths and chemistry papers. I got AACC in biology French maths and chemistry. But I dropped French. So I have ACC. I need this boosted up to AAA so I'm thinking of retaking 5 papers but I don't know if that's too much and too unrealistic. 3 maths papers and 2 chemistry papers. I didn't work hard last year. From your experience what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I got ABCC (Spanish / English Lit / Geography / Economics) at AS and got AAA at A2 - beat my predicted grades so withdrew my application to take a gap year and apply again to some better places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p.formanko)
    I got ABCC (Spanish / English Lit / Geography / Economics) at AS and got AAA at A2 - beat my predicted grades so withdrew my application to take a gap year and apply again to some better places
    that's amazing!!! did you retake any of you AS exams?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.