Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    True I think you guys and Portsmouth beat us on being badly run. And possibly Leeds with their current sitution.
    Portsmouth play in Portsmouth and are now fan owned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Portsmouth play in Portsmouth and are now fan owned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But have ended up dropping from Europe to league 2 in 6 years, nearly going out of existence due to the financial mismanagement of redknapp and a series of owners. I don't think there's any argument as to who has had the rawest deal so far this decade - them still being in Portsmouth does not make your situation worse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    But have ended up dropping from Europe to league 2 in 6 years, nearly going out of existence due to the financial mismanagement of redknapp and a series of owners. I don't think there's any argument as to who has had the rawest deal so far this decade - them still being in Portsmouth does not make your situation worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Redknapps amazing in the transfer market. Anyone who can sell the idea of Samba Diakite to another club successfully is a genius.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They have the memories of an FA Cup victory, PL football and European football. We have years of bottom half second and now third tier football and to add insult to injury we are still owned by these guys and play 35 miles away.

I would be happier as a Portsmouth fan and will also be happy to see Lesta to go up and take your nonsense off this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They have the memories of an FA Cup victory, PL football and European football. We have years of bottom half second and now third tier football and to add insult to injury we are still owned by these guys and play 35 miles away.

I would be happier as a Portsmouth fan and will also be happy to see Lesta to go up and take your nonsense off this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And is one trophy and an appearance in Europe really worth seeing your club run into the ground and nearly out of existence? They've had a far harder time of it than any other clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And is one trophy and an appearance in Europe really worth seeing your club run into the ground and nearly out of existence? They've had a far harder time of it than any other clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They weren't complaining when this rampant overspending got them the glory were they? The club has come out the other side and with FL assistance the old owners were shut out and now it's a fan owned enterprise which will stabilise. The club has a bright future.

To say this is far harder than what Coventry are still experiencing does an injustice to the situation. Maybe one day Leicester will be made to play in a ground of 7,000 nowhere near the city and you'll see where I'm coming from.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They weren't complaining when this rampant overspending got them the glory were they? The club has come out the other side and with FL assistance the old owners were shut out and now it's a fan owned enterprise which will stabilise. The club has a bright future.

To say this is far harder than what Coventry are still experiencing does an injustice to the situation. Maybe one day Leicester will be made to play in a ground of 7,000 nowhere near the city and you'll see where I'm coming from.
    A bright future? They're in a relegation battle and looking at dropping into the conference.

So because they enjoyed a good point they can't complain about years of mismanagement? Were you complaining when sisu saved you from admin in 2007?

I might not care as little if you didn't moan about it as one upmanship every time another poster complains about their teams performance.

Besides, there are clubs far more hard done by than you. You aren't chasing promotion but being told you will be demoted for not earning enough despite living in the black

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A bright future? They're in a relegation battle and looking at dropping into the conference.

So because they enjoyed a good point they can't complain about years of mismanagement? Were you complaining when sisu saved you from admin in 2007?

I might not care as little if you didn't moan about it as one upmanship every time another poster complains about their teams performance.

Besides, there are clubs far more hard done by than you. You aren't chasing promotion but being told you will be demoted for not earning enough despite living in the black

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's just a reminder that 'having it bad' is all relative, SLF. Redferry complained about Blues being ****e, but it could be worse. Pompey might have it tough in the immediate future but in the long term their fanbase will see things improve. Fact of the matter is that there has been virtually nothing to cheer about in well over a decade now and the long term prospects for our club remain poor with no end in sight.

Excuse me for having a gripe about it every now and then.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's just a reminder that 'having it bad' is all relative, SLF. Redferry complained about Blues being ****e, but it could be worse. Pompey might have it tough in the immediate future but in the long term their fanbase will see things improve. Fact of the matter is that there has been virtually nothing to cheer about in well over a decade now and the long term prospects for our club remain poor with no end in sight.

Excuse me for having a gripe about it every now and then.
    You assume the pompey fanbase will see an improvement with no actual reason to, and likewise assume that coventry won't see an improvement without any reason to justify it.

it's not every now and then, it's pretty much every post. Someone complains they played poorly and immediately it's "at least you are in your own ground". When people moan about something constantly, it's hard not to stop caring at all.

ReputationRep:
    Back in 2011, Watford actually signed Chris Iwelumo. I think it's quite clear which club is the worst off.

ReputationRep:
    You assume the pompey fanbase will see an improvement with no actual reason to, and likewise assume that coventry won't see an improvement without any reason to justify it.

it's not every now and then, it's pretty much every post. Someone complains they played poorly and immediately it's "at least you are in your own ground". When people moan about something constantly, it's hard not to stop caring at all.
    The club is now fan owned, which precludes reckless overspending from rearing its head. Their attendances are comfortably higher than the average at that level, so even if they go down again, the foundations are there for a recovery. We are owned by a hedge fund which has pulled the team from its home city in an effort to bankrupt a stadium management company. Debts to these people are in excess of £45m and no bidders are forthcoming and the football authorities have washed their hands of it-where is the room for optimism there?

Can't wait for you to get promoted and leave this forum, you are so far wide of the mark on so many things.

ReputationRep:
    Likewise with Leeds, we went from Champions League football crashing all the way down & came close to complete liquidation. Two painful relegations. A couple play off final defeats. It hurt but was humbling. I've been to places like Yeovil & Brentford, & that's a huge change from Liverpool or Manchester. Go look in the Man Utd thread, they moan & cry even when they win because they hate Moyes that much. Man Utd will never suffer the same fate as Portsmouth, Coventry or Leeds. Despite a small resurgence & a couple of mid table season, things are looking bleak. But I still feel confident that Leeds will get back to the Premier League. Got to have some hope.

We have once again plummeted to the bottom of the form table & our average attendances are dropping.
    http://www.football-league.co.uk/pag...~20137,00.html
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The club is now fan owned, which precludes reckless overspending from rearing its head. Their attendances are comfortably higher than the average at that level, so even if they go down again, the foundations are there for a recovery. We are owned by a hedge fund which has pulled the team from its home city in an effort to bankrupt a stadium management company. Debts to these people are in excess of £45m and no bidders are forthcoming and the football authorities have washed their hands of it-where is the room for optimism there?

Can't wait for you to get promoted and leave this forum, you are so far wide of the mark on so many things
    Not at all - Fan ownership doesn't prevent reckless overspending. You assume that fans know what they are doing when running a club - while they may have the clubs best interests at heart, that doesn't make them competent owners by any stretch of the imagination.

Attendances mean very little in terms of foundations, the scale of football - particularly for a team still in premier league hangover, means that gate income is a drop in the water. Besides, you forget that only plymouth have a ground anywhere near the same size: Fratton Park is comfortably double the size of most grounds in the division.

Playing outside of your own city doesn't mean much for the on the field performances. Your attendances had been falling for quite a while, before the move and before SISU arrived, so I don't think those claims count for much at all; meanwhile the 4th best attack in the division should be cause for optimism, a leaky defence being all that holds it back.

Such as?

(Original post by Silver Arrows)
    Likewise with Leeds, we went from Champions League football crashing all the way down & came close to complete liquidation. Two painful relegations. A couple play off final defeats. It hurt but was humbling. I've been to places like Yeovil & Brentford, & that's a huge change from Liverpool or Manchester. Go look in the Man Utd thread, they moan & cry even when they win because they hate Moyes that much. Man Utd will never suffer the same fate as Portsmouth, Coventry or Leeds. Despite a small resurgence & a couple of mid table season, things are looking bleak. But I still feel confident that Leeds will get back to the Premier League. Got to have some hope.

We have once again plummeted to the bottom of the form table & our average attendances are dropping.
    http://www.football-league.co.uk/pag...~20137,00.html
    What actually happened with that Cellino bloke? surely with the criteria for the Fit and Proper test he was fine - the money certainly was there, sounds as if he's been keeping you out of admin during the takeover process.

ReputationRep:
    What actually happened with that Cellino bloke? surely with the criteria for the Fit and Proper test he was fine - the money certainly was there, sounds as if he's been keeping you out of admin during the takeover process.
    Found guilty of tax evasion in Italy. He's appealing that verdict though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrows)
    Found guilty of tax evasion in Italy. He's appealing that verdict though.
    Even if he fails somebody else must be interested though right? Leeds are a huge club and if the owners are keen to offload then I'd expect fresh interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously when **** stuff is happening to your own club you're going to think it's a million times worse than what anyone else can be going through. No one can possibly feel worse than me after Brentford get stuffed. It's just not possible. Coventry are having a **** time but I can't properly relate to it because I'm not a Coventry fan. I can only have a lot of sympathy for the fans and recognise that they're probably the worst run club in professional football in England right now.

Midlander does moan a lot though.

Went to Oldham away at the weekend and it was utterly depressing. A dull game, a dull place and cold as hell despite Manchester actually being quite warm for a change. We got interviewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...KVvlQZwg#t=303 Apologies for the utter lack of insight and the bad prediction at the end. We were drinking...

Oh and it was a point gained on Orient as they lost. So we're back to being four points ahead of them with two games more to play. That's a huge positive. Wolves have won the league now for definite though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigWM)
    Back in 2011, Watford actually signed Chris Iwelumo. I think it's quite clear which club is the worst off.
    Oh Chris Iwelumo brings back some memories of his Molineux days..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Oh Chris Iwelumo brings back some memories of his Molineux days..
    That bloke was like the Scottish Messi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    Obviously when **** stuff is happening to your own club you're going to think it's a million times worse than what anyone else can be going through. No one can possibly feel worse than me after Brentford get stuffed. It's just not possible. Coventry are having a **** time but I can't properly relate to it because I'm not a Coventry fan. I can only have a lot of sympathy for the fans and recognise that they're probably the worst run club in professional football in England right now.

Midlander does moan a lot though.

Went to Oldham away at the weekend and it was utterly depressing. A dull game, a dull place and cold as hell despite Manchester actually being quite warm for a change. We got interviewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...KVvlQZwg#t=303 Apologies for the utter lack of insight and the bad prediction at the end. We were drinking...

Oh and it was a point gained on Orient as they lost. So we're back to being four points ahead of them with two games more to play. That's a huge positive. Wolves have won the league now for definite though.
    Put it this way. When you are passionate about something you talk about it a lot. For the most part the fans here are moderately well run at least which enables football to be the thrust of discussion for them. For me the off field issues are so great that what happens on the pitch there gets overshadowed.

Unless you've supported a team that has been relocated against the fans' will it is difficult to explain. Every game is a protest, after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Even if he fails somebody else must be interested though right? Leeds are a huge club and if the owners are keen to offload then I'd expect fresh interest.
    Leeds don't own their ground or their training ground, which must be a huge hindrance. Along with having players like Noel Hunt on £20k per week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.