Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Guys I really don't know what to think about my chances woth Oxford? Teachers don't believe in me, some do, some friends do, some don't, I don't know
    If you think you have a chance at the predicted grades and could write a good PS then sure! It's one of five UCAS applications anyway, and even for the best applicants it's still a liability, if you think you can then dw

ReputationRep:
    Guys I really don't know what to think about my chances woth Oxford? Teachers don't believe in me, some do, some friends do, some don't, I don't know
    As long as 'you' have the passion and determination to go to Oxford, then there is no harm in applying whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    If you think you have a chance at the predicted grades and could write a good PS then sure! It's one of five UCAS applications anyway, and even for the best applicants it's still a liability, if you think you can then dw
    I think I can I just don't know how to prove to them I'm capable outside of AS and predicted grades. My GCSEs aren't like amazing but I have reasons and when I spoke to an ex-Cambridge admissions officer about it, they said A-Levels being strong would be enough especially with my situation...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely
    Is it necessary to go to a summer school by the way? I'm planning to go to an open day anyways

ReputationRep:
    I think I can I just don't know how to prove to them I'm capable outside of AS and predicted grades. My GCSEs aren't like amazing but I have reasons and when I spoke to an ex-Cambridge admissions officer about it, they said A-Levels being strong would be enough especially with my situation...
    What course are you planning on applying for?
    Any external reading, summer schools, essay competitions, school awards, relevant extra curriculars show capability and passion so if you don't have enough of these already, you have the rest of Summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)
    Is it necessary to go to a summer school by the way? I'm planning to go to an open day anyways
    Nah not necessary at all, I bet hundreds of successful applicants have never attended one
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying this year haha
    Also Oxford have an amazing politics department and their politics course is incredibly old and prestigous.. Oxford over Cambridge for politics definitely
    I know. I just thought you might want to know.

ReputationRep:
    Would you (or anyone seeing this) happen to know whether you can submit more than one application to oxford in one cycle eg. 1 for medicine and 1 for biomed? Also, is it true that GCSE grades are more emphasised than AS grades, and where in the spectrum of oxford candidates would 12a*s put me? Also, do oxford require that all the GCSEs are done in the same year (I did maths in year 7 and Spanish in year 9)? Would I be required to mention this even if I didn't want to?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeydelmonte)
    Would you (or anyone seeing this) happen to know whether you can submit more than one application to oxford in one cycle eg. 1 for medicine and 1 for biomed? Also, is it true that GCSE grades are more emphasised than AS grades, and where in the spectrum of oxford candidates would 12a*s put me? Also, do oxford require that all the GCSEs are done in the same year (I did maths in year 7 and Spanish in year 9)? Would I be required to mention this even if I didn't want to?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. As far as I know you can make two applications (defo check this though)
    2. Unlike Cambridge who value AS scores, Oxford care more about the general profile so while GCSE's play a part, having a good PS and AS results is equally important.
    3. 12 A*s is amazing - you'll be fine!
    4. I don't think so, but you might want to mention that you did some early just as an extra thing to impress them, I know I would haha

ReputationRep:
    What course are you planning on applying for?
    Any external reading, summer schools, essay competitions, school awards, relevant extra curriculars show capability and passion so if you don't have enough of these already, you have the rest of Summer!
    I am planning to apply for history. I write poetry, have won various school awards, am a national champion for a poetry competition and I was awarded a place at both the Oxford Summer School in the UK and the Harvard Summer School in the US.

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to apply for history. I write poetry, have won various school awards, am a national champion for a poetry competition and I was awarded a place at both the Oxford Summer School in the UK and the Harvard Summer School in the US.
    No need to worry then, you sound like a good applicant to me

ReputationRep:
    No need to worry then, you sound like a good applicant to me
    Thank you. I feel a little more confident. Do you have any idea if there are any history essay competitions running through summer?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I feel a little more confident. Do you have any idea if there are any history essay competitions running through summer?
    Cambridge have a few but I think most of the deadlines passed. I did the Vellacott History Competition which closed in March. I think a few deadlines are fast approaching so I would get researching, maybe Oxford do some?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge have a few but I think most of the deadlines passed. I did the Vellacott History Competition which closed in March. I think a few deadlines are fast approaching so I would get researching, maybe Oxford do some?
    I know Oxford do so I'll take a look at their dates. Thanks! How did you start off with yours? It's a type of essay I have never done before, obviously, so it'll be like: what? :')

ReputationRep:
    I know Oxford do so I'll take a look at their dates. Thanks! How did you start off with yours? It's a type of essay I have never done before, obviously, so it'll be like: what? :'
    The question I selected was a Marx quote stating that "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle".
    It was a nice question, I went into a little about Marx and then evaluated how far history went - beginning of humanity, antiquity etc.
    Once you find a question you like I'm sure you'll get into it very easily!
    It did take a lot of researching, many hours, but I found it so rewarding because I was genuinely interested. Find a good question, don't settle otherwise you'll get nothing from it, and you'll be absolutely fine!
    Even if you don't win a prize or get commended, it's worth mentioning on a PS just to show dedication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeydelmonte)

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As you're only allowed to make one application to either Oxford or Cambridge per cycle, I would guess you can't, but worth checking properly! (ask a teacher/someone involved in the applications process at school or email Oxford directly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    As you're only allowed to make one application to either Oxford or Cambridge per cycle, I would guess you can't, but worth checking properly! (ask a teacher/someone involved in the applications process at school or email Oxford directly).
    Ahh I assumed you could because other Universities allow it. I guess that makes sense haha

Hey guys,

I'm very conflicted between Oxford and Cambridge at the moment, but I thought I'd engage in this thread nevertheless.

Anyway, some info:

GCSEs: 5A*s and 5As
      Course: Biochemistry

Not sure about which college yet

I feel like my GCSEs are below par for the average Oxford applicant, but I did have extenuating circumstances while doing them

ReputationRep:
      how did you do in gcses? my teachers and friends are the same you can pm me!!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by enaayrah)
      Hey guys,

I'm very conflicted between Oxford and Cambridge at the moment, but I thought I'd engage in this thread nevertheless.

Anyway, some info:

GCSEs: 5A*s and 5As
      Course: Biochemistry

Not sure about which college yet

I feel like my GCSEs are below par for the average Oxford applicant, but I did have extenuating circumstances while doing them
      My GCSEs are quite similar - 3A*s and 10As, but after speaking to Oxford admissions they say the general profile is more important. I think I could write a good PS but after that C2 exam my AS grades don't look too brilliant :/ ah well

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.