Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It's a lot bleaker than I paint it if you happen to be in the USA. Very few make it to "Big Law" (maybe 5%) and 90% of those that do get spat out at Associate level after 5 years and end up in Mid Law. So it's probably 10% of 5% that make it to Partner in major US firms.

Everybody else is doing solo work - putting in 60 hour weeks for a $50k salary. And as for new lawyers they're either doing doc review work for $20 an hour or unpaid internships which isn't a great start to their careers or good way to pay off $150k in non dischargeable debt that many of them carry.

I mean really, I don't know much about the situation in the UK but what % of newly qualified lawyers start off with a city gig paying 50-70k? 2% 3%? And if you step back a bit, what % of law graduates end up going on to get that gig? Far less than that because many law grads never go on to actually qualify as lawyers.

So yes, you CAN do well as a lawyer. Some do. But better chance that you'll do well running a lawn care company.
    Fair enough on the US difference. I don't know the numbers precisely.

People who don't make the big firms either do something else or go into practice on the high street. They generally work for firms rather than alone, and I don't get the impression that they're working crazily hard, but you're probably not far off on the money.

I would imagine it's a fair bit more than 2-3% overall, a lot more at some universities, but I might be living in a bubble, I don't know. I can't back it up with figures.

I just think talk of 'chance' in this sort of situation is missing the point. Some people have an excellent chance, because they're good and employable. Others have very little chance. What you really need to do when evaluating your chances is not so much study the numbers, but know your strengths and weaknesses relative to the rest of the student cohort.

ReputationRep:
    Why people are still commenting on this thread!!
    I made this thread over a year ago and I am now working in the Checkouts at my local supermarket I know for some of you this may not be an ideal job but for me I'd rather do this than sit in front of a computer screen and code all day long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    Dude I'm in a top london office in a top company earning a starting salary of 28k, I got a 2:2.

Nothing to be sad about, some people are losers (like OP)

harsh I know, but damn, to settle for working in a checkout after 3 years as a comp sci student, that's ****ing pathetic, I know there are jobs out there because I had the exact same qualifications as OP and had jobs coming out my ass (3 offers, 1 25k offer and two 28k offers)

in fact for every interview I attended I got an offer, I was in a position of choice! haha imagine that. and I had a 2:2 in computer science!!! like the OP.

It's about you, not the grade, employers couldn't give a **** if you have what they're looking for, you need a degree, good grades help, but when literally 1000's and 1000's of people have 2:1's, there's nothing special about them anymore, employers want more, give them more and you'll succeed,

it's simple.
    Dude what's your problem, so what if I work in the checkouts I actually enjoy it I get to interact with all sorts of people. I'd rather do this than sit in a dark room 9-5 staring at a computer screen trying to code some bul*** app or debug someones ancient program

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    I made this thread over a year ago and I am now working in the Checkouts at my local supermarket I know for some of you this may not be an ideal job but for me I'd rather do this than sit in front of a computer screen and code all day long.
    But really though?

ReputationRep:
    Well I commented because you were whining about how the world was against you and expecting the taxpayer to give you unlimited leeway in picking a job.

Most of the discussion, though, doesn't have anything to do with your OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberjay_)
    But really though?
    It's a waste of a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Fair enough on the US difference. I don't know the numbers precisely.

People who don't make the big firms either do something else or go into practice on the high street. They generally work for firms rather than alone, and I don't get the impression that they're working crazily hard, but you're probably not far off on the money.

I would imagine it's a fair bit more than 2-3% overall, a lot more at some universities, but I might be living in a bubble, I don't know. I can't back it up with figures.

I just think talk of 'chance' in this sort of situation is missing the point. Some people have an excellent chance, because they're good and employable. Others have very little chance. What you really need to do when evaluating your chances is not so much study the numbers, but know your strengths and weaknesses relative to the rest of the student cohort.
    Fair point.

ReputationRep:
    I

I've seen some threads that are four or five years old get resurrected before now; "zombie threads" back from the grave.

I actually had someone rep me the other day for a post I made in 2007.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Dude what's your problem, so what if I work in the checkouts I actually enjoy it I get to interact with all sorts of people. I'd rather do this than sit in a dark room 9-5 staring at a computer screen trying to code some bul*** app or debug someones ancient program
    Please don't be offended when I ask but why did you study a Computer a Science degree then if you don't want to do it in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    Please don't be offended when I ask but why did you study a Computer a Science degree then if you don't want to do it in the first place?
    Well, after completing my degree I realised that programming wasn't for me I found it extremely boring. As you may be aware there are people who choose to do something irrelevant to their degree once they graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    Lol you don't know what programming is? that's ****ing tragic.

Programming is the basis of the 21st century, without programming you can say goodbye to every single technological advancement of the digital age.

My comment isn't pompous, and even if it was, who cares, I certainly don't give a ****, haters gonna hatteee
    Well done, you don't understand sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberjay_)
    But really though?
    Coding is boring
    </thread>

ReputationRep:
    Coding is boring
    </thread>
    Says the guy who likes to be sat down at a supermarket till earning minimum wage doing arguably one of the most repetitive jobs possible.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Why the crap did you study CS then?! You literally wasted 3 years for nothing.

You could have just left school, and worked your way up as a checkout laddie. This is what I hate about the university system, funding absolute posers like this guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    Says the guy who likes to be sat down at a supermarket till earning minimum wage doing arguably one of the most repetitive jobs possible.
    Beats staring at a computer screen all day long trying to hack into someones ancient computer system

ReputationRep:
    Beats staring at a computer screen all day long trying to hack into someones ancient computer system
    To be fair, you never had a job in anything remotely related to Computer Science, so it's not like you can comment.

ReputationRep:
    Then why did you (a) decide to study CS and (b) still want an IT job when you graduated?

Ffs, just admit that you settled. It's much more respectable than transparently pretending that everything went completely to plan.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, you never had a job in anything remotely related to Computer Science, so it's not like you can comment.
    That does not mean I don't understand what goes on in the industry and stop looking down on Checkout workers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That does not mean I don't understand what goes on in the industry
    You don't though, don't even try to BS for one minute that you think you do.

Your definition was hacking into 'ancient computer systems' that has bugger all to do with modern day software engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can actually understand him a little, but there are plenty of opportunities in the industry that are client centric rather than sit at a screen all day or he could have just used the degree to get into something else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.