Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Nope, the mark scheme begs to differ and it clearly says 0 marks awarded for context in part a. Furthermore my teacher has confirmed this. I am not telling you this out of hearsay lol. Its literally embedded in the mark scheme. Context for part a=0 marks. This doesn't mean you will get 0/15 for section a, but it does mean that your references to context do not add any extra marks.
    We were told to write out part a and part b together , so if this is the case then I guess they will have to use both mark schemes in conjunction so they would include context in that case , right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humzaawan123)
    We were told to write out part a and part b together , so if this is the case then I guess they will have to use both mark schemes in conjunction so they would include context in that case , right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure, probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by room.25)
    I'm not ****ting myself. I've studied all the poems, in all the clusters, and I am going to pick the hardest question as I need something challenging. GCSE level just Isn't challenging at all for me, however I think this is because I go to a private school and you must obviously go to a public. Don't worry though, you're not expected to go as far in life as I am.
    I'm not quite sure which private school you've been to, but it can't have been very good as they clearly haven't taught you basic manners.
    With that kind of attitude you won't get anywhere.
    Treat others with respect and love if you wish for others to give it back.
    Hope you have a wonderful day

By the way I come from a middle class family and go to a grammar school, so please don't use your ridiculous 'I'm posh and go to a private school therefore I'm better', as it's a little pathetic in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Nope, the mark scheme begs to differ and it clearly says 0 marks awarded for context in part a. Furthermore my teacher has confirmed this. I am not telling you this out of hearsay lol. Its literally embedded in the mark scheme. Context for part a=0 marks. This doesn't mean you will get 0/15 for section a, but it does mean that your references to context do not add any extra marks.
    can you please show the mark scheme of a past paper which says what you say, i need the evidence because as far as i'm concerned, You can talk about context in part a and in the mark scheme it doesn't say anything about on writing context in part b

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone taking the AQA Drama exam or Edexcel Geography exam tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitofAFangirl)
    Is anyone taking the AQA Drama exam or Edexcel Geography exam tomorrow?
    im doing edexcel geography; hard though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theD0N)
    im doing edexcel geography; hard though
    Going through every past paper, this shall be fun night.
    I always seem to make such silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    What was the question about Mr Birling?

ReputationRep:
    It was like Arthur Birling describes himself as 'hard-headed.... business man'
    How does JBP show this and other views of him in AIC?

ReputationRep:
    It was like Arthur Birling describes himself as 'hard-headed.... business man'
    How does JBP show this and other views of him in AIC?

ReputationRep:
    In our school our teachers predicted that Arthur Birling would pop up in the paper this year. I was so glad that he did. Anyone else feel that it's weird that we analysed books, studied characters and wrote endless essays, all for this one grade. This one grade that is based on how much of that preparation we implement within an hour and a half exam.

ReputationRep:
    can you please show the mark scheme of a past paper which says what you say, i need the evidence because as far as i'm concerned, You can talk about context in part a and in the mark scheme it doesn't say anything about on writing context in part b
    The of mice and men questions are marked holistically so basically as one and I'm pretty sure we can write about context in A as well. I wrote loads on context in that part because i didn't know what else to write about. I even picked out the part at the end where he paws at her and covers her in hay and i said the animalistic imagery conveys ill-treatment of women which was a symbolic reflection of 1930s America. For part B i actually didn't write about Curley's Wife. I perceived the question more about violence so i wrote about Crooks, Candy's dog, fight with Curley, death of Lennie, the fact that things were 'broken' in Crooks room and then the cyclical nature of the novel

ReputationRep:
    For AIC I wrote about how Mr B is:
    1. He is overly optimistic about his country because of the quote 'unsinkable, absolutley unsinkalble'
    2. His opinion completely changed on Eva when she asked for a pay rise becasue it doesnt fit with this views about money is all that matters.
    3. The generstion gap as he blames Eric. He has learnt nothing about responsibility and so the cylic structure will continue.
    As for OMAM:
    I wrote that in the death both characters were scared. Curleys wife was terrified etc analysing quotes. When sh dies the word 'and' is stopped being repeetetively usef which portrays that there is now peace.
    Then B;
    1. Candy and his Amercoan dream; all the characters needed hope.
    2. Discrimination to black people.
    3. Discriminatioj to Lennie who should be in a mental institue because of his disability!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitofAFangirl)
    Going through every past paper, this shall be fun night.
    I always seem to make such silly mistakes.
    i know right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozmo19)
    The of mice and men questions are marked holistically so basically as one and I'm pretty sure we can write about context in A as well. I wrote loads on context in that part because i didn't know what else to write about. I even picked out the part at the end where he paws at her and covers her in hay and i said the animalistic imagery conveys ill-treatment of women which was a symbolic reflection of 1930s America. For part B i actually didn't write about Curley's Wife. I perceived the question more about violence so i wrote about Crooks, Candy's dog, fight with Curley, death of Lennie, the fact that things were 'broken' in Crooks room and then the cyclical nature of the novel
    wow bro you must have aced it

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about 1 and a half sides for section B. 2 paragraphs for a) and 3 paragraphs for b) do you think I can get high marks with that much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blitzchika)
    I wrote about 1 and a half sides for section B. 2 paragraphs for a) and 3 paragraphs for b) do you think I can get high marks with that much?
    mate...I wrote 4 and half for the whole paper altogether.

ReputationRep:
    wow bro you must have aced it
    NO! Definitely not, felt good at the time but regret not mentioning Curley's Wife. I don't know whether my points were perceptive enough for a high band but I'm hoping for the best. Hopefully i can ace the poetry exam

ReputationRep:
    for the extract in OMAM i takes about how 'flopped like a fish' could show how curley's wife is like a fish and still has a beautiful and mysterious air to her even when she is dead. Will I get marks for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rtolat369)
    for the extract in OMAM i takes about how 'flopped like a fish' could show how curley's wife is like a fish and still has a beautiful and mysterious air to her even when she is dead. Will I get marks for this?
    the one thing about english literature is that you can say anything you want as long as you justify it. For the fish quote I talked about how fish are prey and innocent etc went along that route.

However, if you justified your point you are fine - the whole GCSE is based on interpretations.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.