Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What would you write about for ions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amphoteric)
    A good place to start is the kidneys, this is literally a gold mine for homeostasis, osmosis, ions, ATP

Homeostasis : research the renin-angiotensin pathway and ADH

Ions and osmosis - structure and basic function of kidneys is really good (ultraflitration, selective reabsorption of HCO3- Na+ at the proximal convuluted tubule and the ion channels used in this process etc..) and the loop of Henle/collecting duct's role in water retention.

hope it helps
    perfect thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckyboo308)
    Ok good. Someone the other day said we did and I started freaking out
    no the other person was right
    paper is out of 100
    first 60 are unit 5 only and of course with hsw, application etc..
    last the 40 marks are synoptic, meaning it can be anything on the whole a level spec
    if you dont believe me, look at the past papers
    so if u look at the papers the 2nd to last question will be a 15 mark question, on the whole of a level biology. it can be anything, so dont expect if to be just on unit 5...
    with the last question, 25 marker being an essay

ReputationRep:
    Do you guy's have any easy out of spec content that is fairly easy to remember and relate to any potential essay questions?

ReputationRep:
    Marking point.

ReputationRep:
    if my essay was made up of pretty much only out of spec information but was all relevant to the title, will i be neglected of any marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djhodnett)
    do you have any 'out of spec' knowledge for ions which you would kindly share?
    Hydrogen carbonate ions and calcium ions are combined to form calcium carbonate in shells found in clams. However increasing acidification of sea water by excess hydrogen ions formed by dissolving of co2 from global warming is weakening the shells and making them brittle.

Pretty sure thats all the extra marks aqcuired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiney101)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN13.PDF

Why isn't q8c sangar method/gel electrophoresis? Why does the markscheme say restriction mapping?
    The Sangar method is marking point 2, gel electrophoresis is just a part of both of those methods, it doesn't identify the base sequence (but you need it to carry out those methods). The restriction mapping is also there as the DNA is too big to be sequenced at once, so they cut it into bits and do it in stages, then use restriction mapping to see how the pieces fit back together so it sequences the overall DNA sequence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyC96)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nitrate ions
    Hydrogen ions
    Phosphate ions
    Sodium/potassium ions
    Calcium ions
    Iron (II) ions
    hydrogen carbonate ions (offspec)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tplox)
    no the other person was right
    paper is out of 100
    first 60 are unit 5 only and of course with hsw, application etc..
    last the 40 marks are synoptic, meaning it can be anything on the whole a level spec
    if you dont believe me, look at the past papers
    so if u look at the papers the 2nd to last question will be a 15 mark question, on the whole of a level biology. it can be anything, so dont expect if to be just on unit 5...
    with the last question, 25 marker being an essay
    Oh....I'm ****** then, I haven't even opened my AS text book from last year 😭

ReputationRep:
    what are all the inorganic ions
    iron
    sodium
    calcium
    phosphate
    nitrates
    am i missing any? is hydrogen carbonate ions inoranic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nualamurphy5)
    iron
    sodium
    calcium
    phosphate
    nitrates
    Chloride

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mck9777)
    Chloride
    whats chloride used for though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiyaitsnikitaaa)
    anyone else feel like theyve not done enough work for this exam? wish there were more past papers on it as ive done the only five there is and its just not enough, i've planned all the essays from these exams and also an extra 5 from teacher predictions, i'm trying to review content but its just becoming more and more difficult
    anyone got any revision tips? i've also listened to lots of youtube videos for biol5
    well i havent done any past papers yet but i do understand the content very well and thats the most important thing

ReputationRep:
    whats chloride used for though
    use that to discuss cholera/ cystic fibrosis and discuss how the chloride ions are important in regulating water potentials
    Chloride
    iron
    sodium
    calcium
    phosphate
    nitrates
    Calcium ions, used in muscle contractions and synaptic transmissions
    Phosphate ions used in ATP
    Nitrates, source of protein in plants, can talk about nitrogen cycles
    Sodium ions and Potassium ions, talk about generating membrane potential and the transmission of impulse and etc
    Iron, talk about how it is useful in haemoglobin?

Magnesium? for making chlorophyll in chloroplast, not sure how to extend that, may be the light dependent reaction

(Original post by EmilyC96)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also very important one!
    Hydrogen ions--- this is used everywhere really, from the NAD, NADP stuff, in the final part of respiration
    Or you can take about H+ being the acid ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badman1231)
    well i havent done any past papers yet but i do understand the content very well and thats the most important thing
    well good for you but i asked for tips, so if youre going to give some helpful hints on letting the content stick then fire away my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCMed96)
    use that to discuss cholera/ cystic fibrosis and discuss how the chloride ions are important in regulating water potentials

Sodium ions and Potassium ions, talk about generating membrane potential and the transmission of impulse and etc

Magnesium? for making chlorophyll in chloroplast, not sure how to extend that, may be the light dependent reaction
    Iron 2+ for carrying oxygen to for oxyhaemaglobin and magnesium ions accept the electrons in light dependent reaction then takes them to the etc.

ReputationRep:
    Chloride
    Probably wouldn't waste time talking about chloride, the other ions are more important and will get you 21 marks on spec

ReputationRep:
    just commenting on where i have got up to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCMed96)

thanjs so much

Also very important one!
    Hydrogen ions--- this is used everywhere really, from the NAD, NADP stuff, in the final part of respiration
    Or you can take about H+ being the acid ....
    thanks so much

Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.