The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

So does applying with achieved A levels give you any considerable advantage? According to Manchester, they'll greatly ease their GCSE requirements if you've already finished your A levels and got the required grades.
Original post by clairebear101
Aw okay thanks guys! I think nottingham is a good choice too as i have family there but i havny looked a bristol?! I might apply :smile: Im not sure about kings, i dont know much about it at all!

I'm applying to Nottingham too :smile: Bristol's not a very heavy weight on UKCAT (only 10% because they just introduced it) and mainly goes on PS (70% this year) but I love it
Original post by Moodicrus
Ok I might get some stick because this is a bit early but there's no harm right? The sooner we start the more prepared we are. :smile:

GCSEs - 6 A*s Chemistry Physics Maths Further Maths French Music
6 As Biology History Economics English Lang English Lit RE

AS - Biology A
Chemsitry A
Economics A
Maths A
Average UMS: 94
EPQ A*

Work Experience - Volunteer at King's, 1 week with a cardiothoracic surgeon, 1 week GP, 1 week shadowing a doctor.

Potential unis - Cambridge (if my AS modules are good enough, maybe...)
Imperial
UCL
Newcastle
Southampton

Further reading - I recommend A brief introduction to medical ethics, really useful book for interviews apparently and not too long.
The man who mistook his wife for a hat

Hobbies - Piano, cycling, tennis and theatre&dance

UKCAT - Verbal Reasoning: 640 ( it was hard this year :frown:)
Quantitative Reasoning: 770
Abstract Reasoning: 800
Situational Judgement: Band 1
Average: 737

Discuss anything related to applying to study Medicine at University. What did you guys get at GCSE/aiming for at A Level?

3 BMAT unis!!! wow you should be careful with that! BMAT is currently an unknown quantity for you and with such great stats (especially your ukcat!) I'd be very wary of that. I'm actually off to cambridge for medicine this year and would say that my advice to you as it was for me is to only apply to 1 BMAT uni! After all if medicine is what you really want to do what matters most is that you get in somewhere right and with such a high UKCAT I'd say play to your strengths! it really is a stats game applying for medicine lol
Okay, so for some reason, I'm suddenly considering Barts... Why?

For Barts, if I only have my AS levels and Predicted A Levels contributing to my UCAS Tariff, do I stand a chance? Assuming I'm predicted A*A*A or above? Would I need to take on a fourth A-Level or EPQ? My UKCAT is 787 average Band 1, so would that offset my poor UCAS Tariff?

Also, does anyone know what the anatomy teaching is like at Plymouth. Anatomy is important to me since I want to go into Surgery, and from what I've heard, anatomy is a bit poor at Plymouth, although, they have invested in a new 3D Anatomy board. I did love it a Plymouth, thought it was absolutely fantastic, but I've been having second thoughts recently...
Original post by Natalierm2707
Great stats and so far great choices (of course im biased with cardiff haha).

Dropping maths and carrying on with psychology will not give you any disadvantage over those who do maths A2.

As for other med schools, it may be wise to apply to ones which consider high GCSE grades alongside a high UKCAT score. Hence have a look at:
- KCL
- Leicester
- Nottingham
- Hull york
- UEA
- st andrews
- Aberdeen
- Dundee
-QUB

I would personally avoid universities which place very little emphasis on GCSEs or UKCAT and instead value the personal statement heavily such as Bristol and liverpool.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Yes im not sure about my PS so i agree! Just worried cuz everyone on here has ukcats of 750+ and 11A*'s (our school only did 10) but those choices will defo be my next place to look! Thanks ! X
Hi everyone! i have no clue where to apply and my UKCAT is in 2 weeks so i can't use that to help! my stats are 10A*s at GCSE, 1B in English Lit, and 5As at AS, 1 being in Gen St so doesn't really count. however, my UMs in maths was 98, 95, 87 (so not v high average), and in Religious studies it was even worse, 100 and 67 (v dodgy average :s-smilie:). would i be able to apply to cambridge with these results? Also any suggestions for other universities for me to consider? i really have no clue what i'm doing right now :colondollar: so sorry about all the Qs, and thank you for your help in advance!
Original post by Unknown_12345
Hi everyone! i have no clue where to apply and my UKCAT is in 2 weeks so i can't use that to help! my stats are 10A*s at GCSE, 1B in English Lit, and 5As at AS, 1 being in Gen St so doesn't really count. however, my UMs in maths was 98, 95, 87 (so not v high average), and in Religious studies it was even worse, 100 and 67 (v dodgy average :s-smilie:). would i be able to apply to cambridge with these results? Also any suggestions for other universities for me to consider? i really have no clue what i'm doing right now :colondollar: so sorry about all the Qs, and thank you for your help in advance!

You have amazing GCSEs and AS, well done! If you do well in the ukcat you can pretty much apply anywhere imo. With your GCSEs I'd recommend uni's that prioritise that because you'd get full points. I know last year keele gave 1/3 of interviews or something for the highest academic achievers like yourself so try and find places like that ☺️ Birmingham like lots of a stars at GCSE, as do Cardiff which you'd score full points in I believe. Even though it doesn't seem like it you have a while to decide on you uni's yet it won't take you too long once you start researching properly so don't stress☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
You have amazing GCSEs and AS, well done! If you do well in the ukcat you can pretty much apply anywhere imo. With your GCSEs I'd recommend uni's that prioritise that because you'd get full points. I know last year keele gave 1/3 of interviews or something for the highest academic achievers like yourself so try and find places like that ☺️ Birmingham like lots of a stars at GCSE, as do Cardiff which you'd score full points in I believe. Even though it doesn't seem like it you have a while to decide on you uni's yet it won't take you too long once you start researching properly so don't stress☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thank you so much for all the advice!! Are you applying this year? Where are you thinking of applying to? Thanks once again!
With a UKCAT of 670 how many UKCAT unis should I look at applying to?
Wow thank you so much for all the advice!! Are you applying this year? Where are you thinking of applying to? Thanks once again!

No problem! ☺️ yes I think I'm applying this year to Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Keele, SGUL, Newcastle. (Haven't fully decided on which 4 as my ukcat isn't until the 15th September). 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
No problem! ☺️ yes I think I'm applying this year to Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Keele, SGUL, Newcastle. (Haven't fully decided on which 4 as my ukcat isn't until the 15th September). 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of Manchester Liverpool and SGUL too! Who knows maybe we'll see each other there :wink: oh good luck!! How are you feeling about it
I'm thinking of Manchester Liverpool and SGUL too! Who knows maybe we'll see each other there :wink: oh good luck!! How are you feeling about it

I'll try and keep in contact with you nearer the time then ☺️ good luck to you too! And absolutely awful, like yes I have 3 weeks to revise which is good but TSR is scary with people getting 700+😭 I feel like I'm practicing and it's going nowhere because normally with A Levels etc my grade would improve so quickly after some revision so I guess I need to be patient lol😭 wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 732
Hi,

I just did my UKCAT recently and got 757 average. I'm currently thinking about applying to Nottingham, Leicester, Newcastle and Cambridge. I got 8A* and 2A(RS and Eng.lit) at GCSE and I've done lots of w.experience, volunteering etc... And I have 4 As at AS.
My question is, are there any other universities I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 733
Also, I got 281/300 UMS in maths with 94 average. Is this good enough for Cambridge?
ny
Original post by lauralollipop123
3 BMAT unis!!! wow you should be careful with that! BMAT is currently an unknown quantity for you and with such great stats (especially your ukcat!) I'd be very wary of that. I'm actually off to cambridge for medicine this year and would say that my advice to you as it was for me is to only apply to 1 BMAT uni! After all if medicine is what you really want to do what matters most is that you get in somewhere right and with such a high UKCAT I'd say play to your strengths! it really is a stats game applying for medicine lol

Oh dw there's no way that's my university options! I just haven't got round to changing them yet :smile: I still need to visit a lot of unis anyways! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pra99
Hi,

I just did my UKCAT recently and got 757 average. I'm currently thinking about applying to Nottingham, Leicester, Newcastle and Cambridge. I got 8A* and 2A(RS and Eng.lit) at GCSE and I've done lots of w.experience, volunteering etc... And I have 4 As at AS.
My question is, are there any other universities I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

You have amazing stats! Birmingham and Cardiff would be good choices for you because of your stats. Manchester like a high UKCAT (which you have,well done☺️) and since you've done lots of work experience I think you should be able to get an interview there most likely!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
Okay, so for some reason, I'm suddenly considering Barts... Why?

For Barts, if I only have my AS levels and Predicted A Levels contributing to my UCAS Tariff, do I stand a chance? Assuming I'm predicted A*A*A or above? Would I need to take on a fourth A-Level or EPQ? My UKCAT is 787 average Band 1, so would that offset my poor UCAS Tariff?

Also, does anyone know what the anatomy teaching is like at Plymouth. Anatomy is important to me since I want to go into Surgery, and from what I've heard, anatomy is a bit poor at Plymouth, although, they have invested in a new 3D Anatomy board. I did love it a Plymouth, thought it was absolutely fantastic, but I've been having second thoughts recently...

Your ukcat is very high so it should balance out your UCAS tariff.If you manage to get a three A* prediction you'd have a very good chance
everyone here has amazing grades, I don't even know why I thought about applying for medicine. My grades are terrible compared to all your grades. Gcse: 8A, 4B. A level predicted: AAA. UKCAT - taking at end of september
Original post by medstudent1010
Your ukcat is very high so it should balance out your UCAS tariff.If you manage to get a three A* prediction you'd have a very good chance

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by dragonblazer11
everyone here has amazing grades, I don't even know why I thought about applying for medicine. My grades are terrible compared to all your grades. Gcse: 8A, 4B. A level predicted: AAA. UKCAT - taking at end of september

Your grades are amazing! Don't let people on her get you down as TSR is very unrepresentative of all those applying. Just remember not to apply to any uni's that prioritise GCSEs. You stand a very good chance, just apply to your strengths ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending