The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Sounds healthier than here.

To be fair, parliamentary drunkenness has been undergoing an assault thanks to the long overdue reforms introduced by myself and my colleagues. We'll have every MP drinking only (unspiked) coffee before you know it.
    Don't you dare touch the tea.

Btw, that tea website, oh my. :love: I have also discovered a little shop in Dundee that only sells all different kinds of tea and coffee, and they grind it in front of you. Heaven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Don't you dare touch the tea.

Btw, that tea website, oh my. :love: I have also discovered a little shop in Dundee that only sells all different kinds of tea and coffee, and they grind it in front of you. Heaven.
    The website's good, the chain of shops is better!

Dare I travel to Dundee for tea? Decisions, decisions.

ReputationRep:
    The website's good, the chain of shops is better!

Dare I travel to Dundee for tea? Decisions, decisions.
    Chain. Of. Shops.

Oh my.

It's tea, come on now!

ReputationRep:
    Chain. Of. Shops.

Oh my.

It's tea, come on now!
    :yep:

If I'm ever around there. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    :yep:

If I'm ever around there. :yy:
    I plan to go there some time this week, I want to get a teapot or mug that has a tea strainer. I joined Dundee's tea society last week. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I will never go fully right wing, mainly because of what I read here (thanks UKIP).
    Not like the good old days when UKIP was a sensible party with token left wingers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Not like the good old days when UKIP was a sensible party with token left wingers.
    Couldn't agree more, darling.

ReputationRep:
    The token left wingers remark reminds me, if you watch south park, think about why the black kid is called "token".

Mindboggling

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    I don't remember them ever being sensible.

ReputationRep:
    Same tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    The token left wingers remark reminds me, if you watch south park, think about why the black kid is called "token".

Mindboggling

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you never realise? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3420397

ReputationRep:
    It took me a while to as I watched it as a kid and didn't get the joke at first. I told my better half the token black guy thing the other day and that was when she realised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You know I was one of the few who actually voted against that bill. If you're not competent in first aid, interfere with someone who's injured and then they die as a direct result of your actions... Nah. Not a fan.

ReputationRep:
    You know I was one of the few who actually voted against that bill. If you're not competent in first aid, interfere with someone who's injured and then they die as a direct result of your actions... Nah. Not a fan.
    That's a silly stance. For a start there are exceptions in the bill including gross negligence, and secondly, in the USA the claims culture they have is a real danger considering the number of people who would refrain from taking action out of fear of being sued.

In Germany if there is a road side accident its against the law for you to not stop and offer assistance. First aid can prevent a minor injury from becoming a major one, and a major injury from being a fatal one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's a silly stance. For a start there are exceptions in the bill including gross negligence, and secondly, in the USA the claims culture they have is a real danger considering the number of people who would refrain from taking action out of fear of being sued.

In Germany if there is a road side accident its against the law to not stop and offer assistance.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    'gross negligence' being an undefined phrase that invites itself to some rather painful court proceedings. It's usual legal definition makes it inappropriate anyway. 'a view to gain' is also something that could have used defining. The bill also wasn't defended with evidence that it addressed a real problem.

ReputationRep:
    'gross negligence' being an undefined phrase that invites itself to some rather painful court proceedings. It's usual legal definition makes it inappropriate anyway. 'a view to gain' is also something that could have used defining. The bill also wasn't defended with evidence that it addressed a real problem.
    Perhaps that's because its prevention rather than a solution. Only 7% of the UK are trained and confident to perform first aid, 93% of the UK population are therefore vulnerable. As the number of trained first aiders increases the likelihood of court cases that could arise also increases.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps that's because its prevention rather than a solution. Only 7% of the UK are trained and confident to perform first aid, 93% of the UK population are therefore vulnerable. As the number of trained first aiders increases the likelihood of court cases that could arise also increases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That statistic is unfortunate but doesn't do anything for the bill's faults.

ReputationRep:
    That statistic is unfortunate but doesn't do anything for the bill's faults.
    You're missing the point, what the bill prevents is another barrier to more people learning first aid. The bill does much more good than harm, the terms gross negligence and view to gain not being defined isn't really good cause to vote against it considering that should someone have a case against them it'd be up to the judge to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're missing the point, what the bill prevents is another barrier to more people learning first aid. The bill does much more good than harm, the terms gross negligence and view to gain not being defined isn't really good cause to vote against it considering that should someone have a case against them it'd be up to the judge to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If the bill only protected people who were qualified in first aid then you'd have a point.

When you call an ambulance during a crisis situation where first aid might be appropriate then they will usually tell you to do nothing and wait for the professionals. They're not scared you're going to get sued, they're worried you'll hurt the injured person - and if you don't know what you're doing then you probably will.

And the definitions are absolutely crucial to the effect that this bill has. Surely every case where you killed someone because you thought watching ER made you a doctor is 'gross negligence'. And 'a view to gain' is so vastly twistable that it undermines the whole point of the bill.

You haven't and cannot show me evidence for this doing more good than harm, nor did anyone do so in that debate so I voted against. No one to my recollection even produced a hypothetical situation where the bill would do some good (not that this would have been good enough).

ReputationRep:
    I despise people who self-promote, so don't publicise it on Fb/Twitter/Snapchat, but Im too chuffed to not say it on here. I've got a scholarship for my Masters this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.