Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Everyone assumed that "Data Interpretation" on a Haem/Derm OSCE would be blood tests/films. It was patch testing. FML.
    ??
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    ??
    As in allergy patch testing. And the mechanisms of Type IV hypersensitivity reactions.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    As in allergy patch testing. And the mechanisms of Type IV hypersensitivity reactions.....
    They test you on that in OSCEs?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    They test you on that in OSCEs?
    Apparently so :rolleyes:

I'm just annoyed because I spent all of yesterday looking at blood films, anaemias, leukaemias, lymphomas, and myeloproliferative and dysplastic diseases, only for none of them to come up at all. Apart from the comm skills patient who had iron deficiency anaemia :grumble:

The rest of the stations were what I was expecting :dontknow: Skin pictures, venepuncture, patient history/disease discussion, lymph node examination and the comm skills.

ReputationRep:
    i am again reminded why i'm glad i don't have pre-clinical OSCEs!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No rest for the wicked!
    • PS Helper

Head and neck anatomy= brain rape!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PBL tomorrow that I am yet to start and no motivation at all.

Just want to get drunk and go have some fun :cheers:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    PBL tomorrow that I am yet to start and no motivation at all.

Just want to get drunk and go have some fun :cheers:
    :yep: Know what you mean. haha. What topic are you guys on?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    :yep: Know what you mean. haha. What topic are you guys on?
    Very tempted to go out tonight... much rally the troups but suspect failure will be imminent :sigh:

Well we've reached the cardiovascular module now so this PBL is on haemophilia.

You?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    x
    Same. Started cardiovascular last week. Currently on arrhythmia and our PBL is on palpitation. Might go out tomorrow night since I get Wednesday off :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Trying to work out how an ECG works.

It is interesting but my god I wish we were taught it well first time.
    Lectures on ECG don't work, I think a tutorial would have been better...
    • PS Helper

(Original post by crazylemon)

Hey! This is really random but i'm applying for the gastro & hepatology iBSc at Imperial and i was just wondering if you know much about it? i.e how hectic the course is etc? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    Hey! This is really random but i'm applying for the gastro & hepatology iBSc at Imperial and i was just wondering if you know much about it? i.e how hectic the course is etc? Thank you
    I must say I know zilch sadly.

I will try and find someone who knows tomorrow!

Currently I am thinking of haemaholiday because I want an easier year...probably one of the worse reasons to pick a degree

ReputationRep:
    Starting to get a bit terrified about January exams. I've realised that being depressed has pretty much lead to me doing no work. Whenever I sit down and try to do something I either fall asleep at my desk or lose my ability to concentrate after 20 minutes. Normally I just lie in bed and contemplate how much I hate myself like a miserable *******.

ReputationRep:
    Im completely ****ing screwed. And at this point in time very, very drunkard.
    I dont know what to do beyond medicine.

ReputationRep:
    x
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    x
    How does your guys PBL work? It seems that it is quite different from ours? Like one of you mentioned having a PBL on palpation? How can a whole PBL be on just one topic? Or am i just reading things wrong:confused:

ReputationRep:

Do you mean why the shape of the ECG is the way it is? I can post something on here that to explain about the electrodes and electrical activity if you want or do you mean interpretation of ECGs for arrhythmias?

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I generally don't recommend switching to them, cos when I did I ended up with no access to my money for 10 days with no advance warning of this, so ended up living off coppers. Basically they transferred all my money, which takes 3 days or something. They assumed (incorrectly) that I had other sources of money than my current account, such as a credit card. They then failed to send me my PIN for my new card for well over a week, so my only way of getting money was to go to the branch itself with ID, and it was too far away/I was busy/some other reason. Though I did get my own personal bank manager for a year, which was pretty awesome and makes me hate generic call centres with an even greater passion now.
    Thanks for the advice I'm going to fill in my OD and then withdraw any money on top so can close the account at Halifax and then open a new one at Natwest but won't need to transfer anything hopefully. Think I am going to have the hassel of waiting for the pin though, sounds like its going to take a while!

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Starting to get a bit terrified about January exams. I've realised that being depressed has pretty much lead to me doing no work. Whenever I sit down and try to do something I either fall asleep at my desk or lose my ability to concentrate after 20 minutes. Normally I just lie in bed and contemplate how much I hate myself like a miserable *******.
    Oh no see whenever I was stressed out I used to calm myself by taking a nap, so now whenever I have exams/huge workload the natural response is to feel like sleeping which of course is the last thing you need! I would suggest making a revision plan, or writing out which topics are your top priority to learn such as diabetes/cancer as those I assume are common exam Qs. And then rigidly stick to your timetable. I can never make a timetable with time restraints such as 'Metabolism 2-4pm' but instead write topics/modules that I need to finish by the end of that day. Also soundtracks help me revise, like Hans Zimmer 'Time'.

Just wondering the exams in Jan - are they on that particular semester or are you examined synoptically? Best of luck though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Do you mean why the shape of the ECG is the way it is? I can post something on here that to explain about the electrodes and electrical activity?
    I understand the shape my problem is analysis of. So everything from AF to LVH to RBBB and beyond is my current goal.

WHAT FUN
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    i am again reminded why i'm glad i don't have pre-clinical OSCEs!
    Ours normally aren't that bad, and are generally fairly clinical, seeing as we don't have the divide.....

Well we've reached the cardiovascular module now so this PBL is on haemophilia.
    Surely that's haematology rather than cardiology? We just covered it in our haem module :unsure: It's barely related to the heart at all :confused:

Currently I am thinking of haemaholiday because I want an easier year
    I don't think haem is particularly easy. Especially if you're doing a whole year on it :afraid:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.