Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    The decision is made after the qualifiers which is just asking for trouble. I'm not too sure what happens but in the past I think it's been the defeated team to get in. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sure they just give the place to someone from the same governing body (e.g The FA). So whoever finished behind Fenerbahce in the Turkish League would probably get their spot were they to qualify and then be chucked out. It's quite a silly situation really since UEFA have already upheld their suspension. You'd fully expect Arsenal to appeal were the above situation to occur so it has the potential to mess up the start of the tournament.

Although didn't Celtic get reinstated a couple of years ago after they played some dodgy team? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    He's gone, no point dwelling. And if that is true, I think it's right because Suarez is a lot better and has the advantage of being a PL player already.

My big concern is who do we turn to if Suarez fails to come off? I've a feeling Madrid will come in. And that'll be him gone as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Overpaying for Higuain and having a great striker in your team seems like the better option compared to negotiating with us and potentially missing out on Suarez tbh. Henry came out and said we're not prepared to sell him to anyone because there is no time to find a suitable replacement (and he's right) so I think you've left this all too late, considering every other available great/world class forward have gone elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    David Ornstein: Understand #afc did not make offer for Higuain. Agreed personal terms but put deal on hold to prioritise Suarez, Napoli pounced #bbcfootball

I think you guys should have just bit the bullet and went for Higuain...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You think David Ornstein is credible............. The guy broke the Suarez is allowed to talk to Arsenal story.

Eiher way, Higuain was overpriced. Not bothered we missed out on him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    You think David Ornstein is credible............. The guy broke the Suarez is allowed to talk to Arsenal story.

Eiher way, Higuain was overpriced. Not bothered we missed out on him.
    Yeah but pay an extra 5-10m for Higuain or face paying over the odds for Suarez, or even miss out on him as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I was going to post this as well. Whenever I watch him he always looks like he has a mistake in him. Cracking on the ball for a CB, but leaves something to be desired when purely defending. I think Subotic is a better defender. Hummels is still quality though.
    Just like Vermealen. I'm not saying the two are the same quality.. Felipe Santana is a better. defender than both subotic and hummels( at least on fifa :lol: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    Just like Vermealen. I'm not saying the two are the same quality. Felipe Santana is a betterd defender than both subotic and hummels( at least on fifa :lol: ).
    No, santana is just faster in fifa. He's pretty **** on the game compared to those two.

He's a pretty dire defender in real life though. He's 77 for a reason.

(Original post by jam277)
    Kosc is good though, but he's a tad overrated by arsenal fans. At best he's on ramos/pique's level, and while I'd say he's a better tackler/set piece attacker and deffender those two's offensive qualities bar set pieces outshadows koscielny by a long shot.
    Which isn't really the main attribute you'd be looking at when judging a centre-back, no? I think Koscielny is brilliant because he has such a great balance of tactical intelligence/discipline and the ability to go into a tackle, including the last-ditch blocks and tackles he's begun to get renowned for. Personally, I'd say that puts him above Ramos; I think I would tend to pick Koscielny over Ramos in a centre-back pairing, depending of course on who the other defender was. As for Pique, I suppose it's a bit tricky to judge him given the season Barca's defence have just had; on his day he can be one of the best in the world as well.

(Original post by Zürich)
    Hummels is overrated, often has one moment of madness per game which the very best defenders cant and dont make. Obviously a very modern CB whos accomplished on the ball etc but lacks focus for me.

(Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I was going to post this as well. Whenever I watch him he always looks like he has a mistake in him. Cracking on the ball for a CB, but leaves something to be desired when purely defending. I think Subotic is a better defender. Hummels is still quality though.
    Mm, interesting; I suppose he's one of those 'spectacular' defenders whose escapades up front tend to overshadow their deficiencies at the back. :holmes: Now that you guys mention it, he's not that dissimilar to Vermaelen in the latter's first season at Arsenal, is he? That really highlights the importance of the system - both Gundogan/Subotic and Bender-Schweinstieger/Howedes - in enabling him to work.

I also agree that Subotic is an excellent defender, by the way. :yep:

(Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Yeah but pay an extra 5-10m for Higuain or face paying over the odds for Suarez, or even miss out on him as well?
    I think Wenger just doesn't like overpaying in general. I would like to think he has a contingency plan in case we don't get a 'world class' striker anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Kos

I think Wenger just doesn't like overpaying in general. I would like to think he has a contingency plan in case we don't get a 'world class' striker anyway.
    Quite amazing for a guy who played in Lique 2 a couple of years ago, perhaps we should show the same faith to Sanogo who might turn to be 'the next world class' for us. Who knows.

What makes you so sure he has one? his contingency plan is probably to stick with what he already has in Giroud and Sanogo. I think we can all trust Giroud to deliver us 20+ goals this season. I'm not sure how much we can expect from Sanogo, but probably 10 or 9 goals( am I pushing it?)

ReputationRep:
    Which isn't really the main attribute you'd be looking at when judging a centre-back, no? I think Koscielny is brilliant because he has such a great balance of tactical intelligence/discipline and the ability to go into a tackle, including the last-ditch blocks and tackles he's begun to get renowned for. Personally, I'd say that puts him above Ramos; I think I would tend to pick Koscielny over Ramos in a centre-back pairing, depending of course on who the other defender was. As for Pique, I suppose it's a bit tricky to judge him given the season Barca's defence have just had; on his day he can be one of the best in the world as well.
    I don't deny what you say. I guess it all depends on the system you play and the partner, hence why I wouldn't say who I'd rather have but would say that they're on the same level. A good example here would be would you rather have a koscielny pique or a koscielny vidic defence? I have no doubt that the latter has the better defenders, but the former would work best in most if not all systems. But if I were to say if you'd rather have a vidic pique or a vidic koscielny partnership, you'd also go for the former.

We could easily have two ball playing defenders depending on the system too. I'd still say that ramos is around the same level as koscielny and same for pique. Real were terrible defensively last season but tbf the way they played meant that it would turn into Ultimate team matches where they concede 2 and score 4.

ReputationRep:

We could easily have two ball playing defenders depending on the system too. I'd still say that ramos is around the same level as koscielny and same for pique. Real were terrible defensively last season but tbf the way they played meant that it would turn into Ultimate team matches where they concede 2 and score 4.
    Hard to be a good defender in that system they have at real. Fullbacks were awful and Pepe was just :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd be surprised if he didn't, but I do think that's the end of any potential £30m+ big money signing you'll make this summer.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it makes too much difference whether Suarez is sold now or a few weeks ago, Liverpool aren't in the CL and don't look to be getting there next season either so they can't attract a world class 40M+ signing to replace him anyway. There are plenty of decent value 10-15M players knocking about who they can snap up and strengthen the squad which they should have been looking for since the Suarez thing kicked off. So yea I call BS on the timing of the sale speech.

I also call BS on saying he's not for sale at any price because every player has a price, they value him at 50M so if we bid 55M they'll say no? They'll seriously say, "we don't want £5,000,000 and the chance to get rid of a player who wants to leave anyway." Of course they would say yes.

Then there are the repercussions of keeping him. Tevez bolted back to Argentina in a sulk after a squabble with Mancini so what would Suarez do? He's undoubtedly an incredible footballer but he's also the biggest brat in the premiership, if Liverpool keep him after all of this then they'd be bat**** crazy! They're already unlikely to reach CL next season and choosing to keep an unhappy Suarez with no money to strengthen the team would be suicide.

All this posturing by Liverpool is to keep the value up and see if there's any interest from a foreign club to kick start a bidding war; but the fact is nobody seems interested except Arsenal sooooo, the only thing remaining is for Wenger to assess the situation and decide what the lowest figure Liverpool will accept is. Liverpool wanted 50 so I'm guessing Wenger's final bid will be between 45 and 49,999,999.

ReputationRep:
    Id just move on from Suarez, this is gonna drag and I don't think Liverpool are going to sell.

ReputationRep:
    In other news, what's fairly interesting is that various sources are saying that we think Sagna is ready to be centre back so we are looking for a right back to take his place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    In other news, what's fairly interesting is that various sources are saying that we think Sagna is ready to be centre back so we are looking for a right back to take his place.
    Interesting. He looked good there when he played there last year. He's always been better at defending than attacking and is good enough in the air.

ReputationRep:
    If that sagna thing is true. Choice on right backs? Debuchy would have been a good option a year ago but can't think of many available of the right quality. Seems like there's a lot of young full backs(jenkinson makes this not needed) but none that are the experienced age range that are available.

Maicon could have been a good buy, cheap and while not the maicon under mancini/mourinho he's still a good full back for most top clubs considering how rubbish full backs are nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester United for life woop woooooop

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    I said this earlier- you'se should sign Coleman

ReputationRep:
    If that sagna thing is true. Choice on right backs? Debuchy would have been a good option a year ago but can't think of many available of the right quality. Seems like there's a lot of young full backs(jenkinson makes this not needed) but none that are the experienced age range that are available.

Maicon could have been a good buy, cheap and while not the maicon under mancini/mourinho he's still a good full back for most top clubs considering how rubbish full backs are nowadays.
    Wenger seems decent at finding full backs most of the time. I'd never really heard of Sagna/Monreal before they came here. I can't really remember but Lauren can't have been a household name either.

I don't want Maicon unless it's for depth, I'd much rather play Jenkinson. In an ideal world we'd get Piszczek but that'll never happen.

Corchia would be good

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.